Fishing People Fish with Respect

Featured Posts

As the title reads, just fish with Respect to everything on the canal especially wildlife.

I am fed up of seeing geese with fishing wire around their necks and my dog chewing on it on the side of the tow path.

This is not an anti fishing rant I get on with many that I know but just take home what you bring.

It's horrid to see a geese choking.

Please.

I try to adopt a live and let live attitude to fishermen but its difficult sometimes.

Whenever I clean the prop there is fishing line (and sometimes hooks) round it. Have watched a moorhen slowly die whilst tangled in fishing line, watched by its babies, and they do keep crapping in the hedge and don't bury it and my dog likes to roll in it!!!!! A few nice fishermen but sadly mostly baduns.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

Fishermen and women have no respect for the fish they catch. They rip the throats and stomaches out of the fish they catch when removing the barbed hook. Have a trip down a canal after a fishing contest and see how many dead fish there are floating around. If that is the way they treat the animals that end up on the end of their barbed hooks why on earth do you think they would treat any other animal any differently.

2 hours ago, brassedoff said:

Don't give me ideas Murf.

Chop their willys off and use them as bait.

use what?     the fishermen or their willies?

........................   sorry, just can't help it - I spent too long in an industry where everything must be quite unambiguous. :unsure:

• Greenie 1

Whilst there are still genuine recreational fishermen who enjoy the sport and treat the envirrionment with respect, an increasing number, especially those that you see every evening and weekend, are no longer doing it for recreation, but in the hope of winning substantial prize money. Angling Contests are no longer about skill, but about the potential to win thousands of pounds.

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

but about the potential to win thousands of pounds.

really! wow! That's nuts but it's also a bit sad. I've seen canal banks with rows of strategically placed fishermen and never really understood the appeal but I guess that it's the money - no wonder they're all so grumpy. 

5 hours ago, pete.i said:

Fishermen and women have no respect for the fish they catch. They rip the throats and stomaches out of the fish they catch when removing the barbed hook. Have a trip down a canal after a fishing contest and see how many dead fish there are floating around. If that is the way they treat the animals that end up on the end of their barbed hooks why on earth do you think they would treat any other animal any differently.

The dead fish are generally caused by being confined in a keep net, these and barbed hooks should be banned in the same way that lead shot was.

Just now, BWM said:

The dead fish are generally caused by being confined in a keep net, these and barbed hooks should be banned in the same way that lead shot was.

I would have thought that for a catch and release competition barbless hooks would be compulsory but yes a fish kept for too long with out being able to swim forwards will "drown", and no it's not ok that they do - which I say as someone who does fish, though less now than I use to.

And yes a fish can drown/ suffocate.

On 11/02/2018 at 14:20, BWM said:

I'm not an angler but I'm fairly sure barbed hooks are no longer in general use. 

Considered 'unsporting' I believe.

This never was an anti Fisher people rant but more a nag at careless Fisher people.

I know many that use the right gear but some don't.

I don't like seeing 19lb Pike being picked up in the air and drooping onto concrete because they could not be bothered carrying a landing net.

As I said I am just having a go a the piss takers not the respectable anglers.

Guess it's like owning a boat, the piss takers show us all up.

Edited by brassedoff

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm not an angler but I'm fairly sure barbed hooks are no longer in general use. 

Considered 'unsporting' I believe.

The more forward thinking clubs and waters have banned the use, but as far as i'm aware there are no restrictions on the sale of them.

6 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Whilst there are still genuine recreational fishermen who enjoy the sport and treat the envirrionment with respect, an increasing number, especially those that you see every evening and weekend, are no longer doing it for recreation, but in the hope of winning substantial prize money. Angling Contests are no longer about skill, but about the potential to win thousands of pounds.

I'm not aware of that sort of prize money this side of the channel outside of carp fishing, which generally has strict rules on hooks and retention. That said, popular carp fisheries often contain magnificent fish whose mouths and fins are hideously deformed by repeatedly being caught, in spite of these restrictions. 

1 hour ago, BWM said:

I'm not aware of that sort of prize money this side of the channel outside of carp fishing, which generally has strict rules on hooks and retention. That said, popular carp fisheries often contain magnificent fish whose mouths and fins are hideously deformed by repeatedly being caught, in spite of these restrictions. 

Bragging rights rather than fish's wellbeing, most? Are very respectable and look after their catch with a good attitude.

Each fish should be held by hand so they float the right way up before releasing.

I see so many just weigh the keep net and tip them out.

No care ! 

13 hours ago, BWM said:

Really? I was told about the prize money to be won in angling competions by an angler several years ago. A quick google produced an Angling Times article from 2017 which identifies four contests with prize money ranging from £12,000 to £70,0000. Admittedly the competitors have to go through a series of eliminating matches, but the big money is certainly there.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Really? I was told about the prize money to be won in angling competions by an angler several years ago. A quick google produced an Angling Times article from 2017 which identifies four contests with prize money ranging from £12,000 to £70,0000. Admittedly the competitors have to go through a series of eliminating matches, but the big money is certainly there.

Bloody hell! No wonder they get so tetchy about boats passing and potentially messing up their fishing. Understandable if they have passed through a few eliminating matches and are sniffing victory. 

All seems rather unethical to me.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, MartynG said:

The fishermen are required to remove their bait/equipment as a boat approaches . Boats always have priority.

This is correct unfortunately an increasing number of fisherpersons dont see it that way and some can even get physically violent.