Corrosive Orange Fungus

Featured Posts

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:29, Bee said:

..... how about putting a layer of GRP over the boat, … ?

Funny you should say that.

I remember nearly 40 years ago a new boat owner at St. Pancras taking delivery of his new fit out hull.

Much to everyone else's amusement he promptly resin coated it inside and out from about a foot above the water line down.

I don't know what he overpainted the area in but recall his subsequent dockings were very quick.

Initially an expensive exercise, but he did work for a polymers manufacturer.

It would be interesting how it stood up over the years.

48 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Funny you should say that.

I remember nearly 40 years ago a new boat owner at St. Pancras taking delivery of his new fit out hull.

Much to everyone else's amusement he promptly resin coated it inside and out from about a foot above the water line down.

I don't know what he overpainted the area in but recall his subsequent dockings were very quick.

Initially an expensive exercise, but he did work for a polymers manufacturer.

It would be interesting how it stood up over the years.

Sounds like 2 pack epoxy.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I doubt that existed in 1979...

Shell Oil was two pot epoxy coating the inside of steel pipes and tanks for aviation fuel in New Zealand sometime prior to my involvement starting in 1980. I think a lot of these coating systems were developed for North Sea Oil platform duty in the seventies.

In the late 60's one of my Christmas presents was a set to make acrylic jewellery and paperweights etc. I remember setting pressed flowers and shells collected off the beach (among other things) on a  base we had created choosing a pigment before topping with a clear acrylic mixture and allowing it to set. It was one of my favourite pastimes for ages and I think all the female members of the family we presented pendants to wear and the gents had paperweights for their desk. 

Dad had to go out and source larger quantities of the resin and hardener because I soon used up the tiny quantities that came with the initial set. 

I very clearly remember the smell of the resin as we mixed it on the dining room table (with a suitable protector on it of course) I don't recall using the stuff being considered dangerous for an 8 or 9 year old (under supervision) but then I suspect my brothers chemistry set had far more potential to cause harm. 

2 pack systems of different kinds have been around a while - I am also learning about MiC too! 

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Araldite is a 2-pack epoxy ...

2 Pack epoxies have  been around since the 60's, in paints, adhesives and composites.

By the mid 70's they were being used to make ultra high performance composites with carbon fibre for aerospace use. The 70's saw a massive increase in the development of adhesives and coatings with 2 pack epoxies. I got involved in 1982 with a hugh project Ford had on how to stick cars together.

Not a lot has changed since!

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

2 Pack epoxies have  been around since the 60's, in paints, adhesives and composites.

Plenty of cars got through the MOT in the late 60’s, early 70’s with laid up GRP chassis members disguised with underseal. I recall repairing my Bantam mudguard with GRP in 1970. I don’t recall seeing 2 Pack paint though. 

I’m not denying their existence, I just wasn’t aware of them. Stove Enamelling was the bees-knees for smaller objects.