Gearbox oil level/type.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Can anyone please answer a few questions about my gearbox?

What sort is it?

What viscosity oil to use?  [EP 90?]

The oil level is at the mark on the bottom of the dipstick.Is this correct,? it seems rather low to me.

How much oil does it hold?

Is the 17mm hex on the bottom port side, the drain plug?

Thanks in advance.

20180209_143839.jpg

Thank you for the reply,Richard. Does this mean it is a hydraulic gearbox?.I assumed it was a cog type gearbox,and the label was the manufacturer's ID.  It does make sense now!    I didn't think anything so hi tech would be on a BMC engine in an old boat.

1 hour ago, Furness said:

Thank you for the reply,Richard. Does this mean it is a hydraulic gearbox?.I assumed it was a cog type gearbox,and the label was the manufacturer's ID.  It does make sense now!    I didn't think anything so hi tech would be on a BMC engine in an old boat.

Even hydraulic marine boxes are "cog type" as you call them except hydraulic ones use hydraulic clutch to lock a cog to a shaft where as yours uses brute force acting on a cone clutch to do the same.

You may find the oil labelled as Dexron but its the same stuff. In your case don't worry if it has number suffixes, just get the cheapest.

2 hours ago, Furness said:

Can anyone please answer a few questions about my gearbox?

What sort is it?

What viscosity oil to use?  [EP 90?]

The oil level is at the mark on the bottom of the dipstick.Is this correct,? it seems rather low to me.

How much oil does it hold?

Is the 17mm hex on the bottom port side, the drain plug?

Thanks in advance.

20180209_143839.jpg

I don't know if it's the camera angle but the distance between the heads of the bolts to the flange look very different to each other, suggesting something is out of line?

8 minutes ago, BWM said:

I don't know if it's the camera angle but the distance between the heads of the bolts to the flange look very different to each other, suggesting something is out of line?

The left bolt has a plate under it, the right one only a washer.

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

The left bolt has a plate under it, the right one only a washer.

Hard to tell from the picture, but normally they are the reference point for gauging alignment, surely?

33 minutes ago, BWM said:

Hard to tell from the picture, but normally they are the reference point for gauging alignment, surely?

There are usually three plain bolts and one with a special head. You only use the one with the special head to check alignment by turning the coupling around

There is a metal plate that runs across the coupling, the left hand bolt is sitting on that

Richard

On 09/02/2018 at 19:51, BWM said:

Thanks for all the comments. Went today to change gearbox oil and had a good look at the bolts holding the gearbox together,and the flange bolts.

I think it must be the crappy photo that makes it look worse than it is. The top bolt on the gearbox has a thicker washer than the other so making it look out of line.

In gear the flange spins true without any wobble,so I think everything is ok, so thank you all for your input.

• Greenie 2