Pressure release valve

Timx

Featured Posts

I think you have to unclip the rectangular blue plastic cover for access to the pressure adjustment screw. Mine's a Parmax 2.9 and has a small phillips head screw to turn - but I've forgotten which way!  Trial and error I guess.

• Happy 1

Ah thank you

25 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I think you have to unclip the rectangular blue plastic cover for access to the pressure adjustment screw. Mine's a Parmax 2.9 and has a small phillips head screw to turn - but I've forgotten which way!  Trial and error I guess.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

do I need to measure it somehow

Yes, check that pressure gauge you showed earlier. Adjust the pressure switch (just a quarter turn at a time), turn a tap on until the pump runs, turn the tap off until the tap stops, note the pressure. 

7 minutes ago, Timx said:

Have removed blue cover and no screws behind it

That centre crosshead screw looks likely. 

Edited by WotEver
  • Happy 1

I know when I bought boat the owner then told me he had increased shower pressure, so it's like a power shower?, but that was over two years ago and no problem since, it used to activate prv occasionally but not all the time ?

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That centre crosshead screw looks likely

3 minutes ago, Timx said:

Ha so what do I turn or screw?

The centre crosshead. 

1 minute ago, Timx said:

I know when I bought boat the owner then told me he had increased shower pressure, so it's like a power shower?, but that was over two years ago and no problem since, it used to activate prv occasionally but not all the time ?

Looks like he turned it up too high and it’s gradually weakened the PRV spring. In due course it’ll split the calorifier. 

1 hour ago, Rebotco said:

Mine's a Parmax 2.9 and has a small phillips head screw to turn

A friend has googled the pump and says it kicks in at 0.7 and turns off at 1.7 bar and it sounds automatic with no adjustment.he says if I can't see anything else pressurising the water b4 it gets to the tank, it sounds like it is faulty pump over running more than three bars.

2 minutes ago, Timx said:

A friend has googled the pump and says it kicks in at 0.7 and turns off at 1.7 bar and it sounds automatic with no adjustment.he says if I can't see anything else pressurising the water b4 it gets to the tank, it sounds like it is faulty pump over running more than three bars.

Or a lack of an accumulator, or a faulty accumulator. 

Where did your friend find that it is not adjustable? My Googling didn’t find that information. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Or a lack of an accumulator, or a faulty accumulator. 

Where did your friend find that it is not adjustable? My Googling didn’t find that information. 

I think that was just an assessment he made looking at its settings

So you reckon I should turn that screw then, clockwise or anti ?

Just now, Timx said:

I think that was just an assessment he made looking at its settings

So how did the previous owner turn up the pressure?

Have you tried turning that screw?

Here are Jabsco’s installation instructions, showing where the accumulator should be installed. 

https://www.jabscoshop.com/advice-and-support/jabscoshop-about-pressurised-fresh-water-pumps.htm

• Happy 1

Thanks, I think the accumulator may be under the bed. I had turned that screw as I thought it was holding the blue back plate, but was just clipped on. Anyway did not make any difference, so I screwed it up clockwise and pump just ran and ran till I released it

That centre screw between the two cables looks the same adjuster as my Parmax 2.9.  If its already adjusted to maximum by previous owner, it should only be able to turn one way, which will reduce the cut-out pressure. The pump label shows its factory set cut-out was 1.7 bar, but this is adjustable if its the same as mine, which I think it will be.

• Happy 1

Right, I have tightened it and released it,it went to no water coming out at all.So I tightened it a bit more and water came through tap again and no prv action.So now I turn tap on, it runs then almost stops,then pump starts up and runs ok and prv has not come on yet.is that now an acceptable action tho, the water nearly stopping before pump kicks in, or should I tweak it again.?

Well I think I have got it back to about right now, the gauge on tank is reading pretty much the same , but now tap comes on slows down, pump kicks in tap runs fine and prv does not come on. So I think that's it job sorted, no expensive visit to boat yard or  new pump of possibly splitting my calorifier(so far) Thanks so much to all contributors, particularly wot ever and robot cop, Also I have got to know my boat a bit better, this issue the first time I heard the prv activate has been bothering me for two years. Thanks again so much.

I'm keeping well out of the original debate as that's well covered but may I ask a question. In the photos of the pump, filter and associated pipework (post 26) is there some water / dampness?. There's also what looks like a piece of PTFE tape so some work may have been carried out recently.

If I'm seeing things apologies for causing concern.

Frank

35 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

Glad you've got the desired result.

Sooo ...... which way do you turn it to reduce the pressure?

Clockwise to increase anti to decrease

25 minutes ago, Slim said:

I'm keeping well out of the original debate as that's well covered but may I ask a question. In the photos of the pump, filter and associated pipework (post 26) is there some water / dampness?. There's also what looks like a piece of PTFE tape so some work may have been carried out recently.

If I'm seeing things apologies for causing concern.

Frank

Yeah there is a little water, which I have moped up, only a tablespoon full amount, I will keep an eye on it. No work has been done on it since I bought the boat two years ago.but yeah the piping has been replaced at sometime by the looks of it.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I think the circular shiny thing in the original pics is a filter and it looks like that’s where the water has come from. Did you try removing the top without closing the tank stop cock?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I think the circular shiny thing in the original pics is a filter and it looks like that’s where the water has come from. Did you try removing the top without closing the tank stop cock?

I haven’t, as problem seems solved, do you advise I should take top of filter off ?

i have put dehumidifier bag thing down there as the wood does look damp.i thought the little water there could of been there a long time , so was going to keep an eye on it now I have dried it off. I never touched the filter when probing about

Edited by Timx

1 hour ago, Timx said:

I haven’t, as problem seems solved, do you advise I should take top of filter off ?

i have put dehumidifier bag thing down there as the wood does look damp.i thought the little water there could of been there a long time , so was going to keep an eye on it now I have dried it off. I never touched the filter when probing about

My advice , now you've dried the area off, is to do nothing but monitor over a few days.

Frank