River Nene

Rooffy

Featured Posts

We (two of us on a 45' narrowboat) did March to lock 13 of the Northampton Arm in four long days in October 2016, out of which I reckon about 35 hours of actual boat moving was Peterborough to Northampton. The river was flowing normally, and assuming it is for you too, I think you'll do it in 30 hours or less going down river at a normal speed. Allow more time if you're single handed.

7mph sounds fast to me even for going down a river; I don't know what limit EA impose on the Nene, but do know they have a limit of 8kph (about 5mph) for powered craft on the Thames.

29 minutes ago, Peter X said:

We (two of us on a 45' narrowboat) did March to lock 13 of the Northampton Arm in four long days in October 2016, out of which I reckon about 35 hours of actual boat moving was Peterborough to Northampton. The river was flowing normally, and assuming it is for you too, I think you'll do it in 30 hours or less going down river at a normal speed. Allow more time if you're single handed.

7mph sounds fast to me even for going down a river; I don't know what limit EA impose on the Nene, but do know they have a limit of 8kph (about 5mph) for powered craft on the Thames.

I think it is 7mph on the Nene, and it did strike me as strange given the same authority makes it 5mph on the Thames which is a much bigger river.

It took us about 4 days without rushing in a narrowboat, and we did have a couple of longish days in that.

I did this in late March. Stopped at Becketts Park in the evening for a trawl of the local hostelries with Smudge and Purple F.

Next evening was Wellingborough opposite the Whitworths plant, following evening Oundle embankment just past the A605 and then March visitor moorings. I wasn't doing anywhere near 7mph as it was an old boat with an untested engine, just long days.

I'm guessing that Chop! was referring to winter stoppages; the above topic lists some lock closures, the last of which was scheduled to end on 28th March.

That was in October, so anyone planning a trip now should look to EA for up to date information.

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

I'm guessing that Chop! was referring to winter stoppages; the above topic lists some lock closures, the last of which was scheduled to end on 28th March.

That was in October, so anyone planning a trip now should look to EA for up to date information.

As my boat is on its trailer on the bank at Willy Watts I hadn't thought about the stoppages