Gas-Oil (Red Diesel) Fuel Card

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Technology !!!!!

Just received an email :

BWML are introducing a new system shortly which will make it easier for you to obtain gas oil (red diesel) at the 60%/40% rate at your local marina.

For this you will need a BWML fuel card. To obtain your fuel card you will first need to register on-line at https://bwml.co.uk/fuelcards/ .Further information is outlined via this link.

As part of this registration process you will complete an annual declaration for HMRC purposes. This only needs to be done once every tax year (starting April 1st) and is your declaration for fuel purchases with BWML in the relevant tax year. Your individual purchases are then recorded against the unique number on your BWML Fuel Card. There is therefore no need to complete individual declarations for every purchase as may be the case with other suppliers.

The card you obtain will also operate the auto-vend diesel pumps at any of our other sites around the country with a similar facility- currently Kings,Sawley, Galgate,White Bear,and soon to come Cowroast. Other BWML sites may have staff operated machines and your card will be required to access fuel at these sites as well.

• Greenie 1

Hmm - a neat way to lock you into BMWL at their prices just like other suppliers do for cars. The latter is fine for vehicles where the company pays for the fuel and you get the miniscule benefit from the points scheme. Or am I being a misery? 

8 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Hmm - a neat way to lock you into BMWL at their prices just like other suppliers do for cars. The latter is fine for vehicles where the company pays for the fuel and you get the miniscule benefit from the points scheme. Or am I being a misery? 

I have actually found them to be very competitive.

You (I) can obviously go elsewhere to refuel - there are two other marinas within 5 miles.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Surely its unheard of to have difficulty buying diesel at 60/40 in a marina.

No problem except, how many marinas have Auto-Vend (DIY) refuelling and if they do what rate are their machines set at ?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have actually found them to be very competitive.

You (I) can obviously go elsewhere to refuel - there are two other marinas within 5 miles.

No problem except, how many marinas have Auto-Vend (DIY) refuelling and if they do what rate are their machines set at ?

The only one I have seen is on the Preese branch

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The only one I have seen is on the Preese branch

Whixhall (Preese Branch) is no longer BWML (it was sold off about a year ago) We moored there many moons ago before it was BWML - in fact we nearly purchased it but BWML out-bid us.

We sell Red Diesel (gas-oil) at the following marinas:

Bath Marina, Somerset
Galgate Marina, Lancaster (includes auto-vend facility)
Glasson Marina, Lancaster
Hull Marina, Yorkshire
Kings Marina, Nottinghamshire (includes auto-vend facility)
Priory Marina, Bedford
Ripon Racecourse Marina, Yorkshire
Sawley Marina, Nottinghamshire (includes auto-vend facility)
White Bear Marina, Lancashire (includes auto-vend facility)

In order to buy fuel from a BWML marina with effect from December you will need to have registered with us and obtained a BWML fuel card. There are 2 types of card available:

Blue-170x110.png

Blue Card — 60/40% duty rate

From December 2017, if you wish to purchase Gas Oil (Red Diesel) from our marinas with an AUTO-VEND facility you will need to have a BWML Fuel Card to enable you to operate the dispense pump. This will enable you to purchase GAS Oil at the 60/40% duty rate and then pay for it with your chosen payment card at the pump at any time.

Green-170x110.png

Green Card — 0% duty rate for either Boating/Domestic or Non-Road Use

From December 2017, if you wish to purchase Gas Oil (Red Diesel) from a BWML marina at 0% duty for either Boating/Domestic or Non-Road Use you will need to have a BWML Fuel Card (Green). This will identify you as a customer whose use for the fuel allows them to purchase it at the 0% duty rate.

Please note: you will need to obtain a fuel card in order to operate the Autovend machines at BWML sites.

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

BWML are introducing a new system shortly which will make it easier for you to obtain gas oil (red diesel) at the 60%/40% rate at your local marina.

In the light of post 6 it looks to me as though the new system makes it substantially more difficult to just turn up and buy diesel. Especially if you use it at say 80/20.

My reading of that is that you can buy only with one of their cards, and only at 60/40 or 0%. We've been here before - Is it legal for a vendor to insist on a particular split ratio, potentially forcing the purchaser into making a false declaration? Is it not the purchaser's responsibility to declare?

4 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

My reading of that is that you can buy only with one of their cards, and only at 60/40 or 0%. We've been here before - Is it legal for a vendor to insist on a particular split ratio, potentially forcing the purchaser into making a false declaration? Is it not the purchaser's responsibility to declare?

Yes, that is what they are offering to sell at, you don't have to accept and can go elsewhere. I always check before I buy

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In the light of post 6 it looks to me as though the new system makes it substantially more difficult to just turn up and buy diesel. Especially if you use it at say 80/20.

The first number (i.e. 60 in the 60/40 split) is the propulsion percentage.  Presumably you meant 20/80?

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Presumably this is just for their automated machine, if a person were to dispense it presumably they would still sell you diesel without one of their cards?

As a visitor you could buy without a card at a 'manned' machine but would need to make a declaration (as already happens at the moment), as a 'moorer' we can make a declaration once per annum.

There are only two options on offer : 60/40 or 0/100

If you cannot accept that then its a case of 'buy elsewhere', but as a 'visitor' it would be difficult to justify 0/100 as you would be using propulsion fuel to get to the marina, and more to get back out.

A mooring holder is allowed to travel from the mooring to the fuel jetty and still claim 0/100

1 hour ago, AndrewIC said:

No it's not - but the term 'legal' is not the precise term. The seller has no right to insist on any split - but your remedy is to 'go forth'. The Revenue are not interested in any complaint, it was something they didn't want and was foisted upon us by Brussels - so perhaps in a couple of years time  - haha.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

No it's not - but the term 'legal' is not the precise term. The seller has no right to insist on any split - but your remedy is to 'go forth'. The Revenue are not interested in any complaint, it was something they didn't want and was foisted upon us by Brussels - so perhaps in a couple of years time  - haha.

It would be nice but somehow I doubt it.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you cannot accept that then its a case of 'buy elsewhere', but as a 'visitor' it would be difficult to justify 0/100 as you would be using propulsion fuel to get to the marina, and more to get back out.

No it wouldn't. It would be dead easy. 

The declaration is for "intended use". So if your current fill of diesel was at more than 0% propulsion and there was some left, it would be perfectly reasonable to buy some at 0% propulsion if you need it for heating given the cold weather. Nor is there is any obligation for you to 'justify' your declaration to the retailer anyway.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As a visitor you could buy without a card at a 'manned' machine but would need to make a declaration (as already happens at the moment), as a 'moorer' we can make a declaration once per annum.

There are only two options on offer : 60/40 or 0/100

A mooring holder is allowed to travel from the mooring to the fuel jetty and still claim 0/100

When i went to get fuel from a well known narrow boat hire company they said I had to declare some percentage when I pointed out it is self declaration and the tank that I am filling up is for my heating and nothing to do with propulsion , he then asks me how I have got here you must of used your engine , yes I used my engine and I had already paid my duty on that fuel that got me here , 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It would be nice but somehow I doubt it.

One can dream; hope springs eternal...

I'm no longer party to how IR works internally on the scheme, but the amount of extra revenue that is generated by any split on the inland waterways - in the scheme of things - diddly squat. Retailers can / do  get worried by C&E inspections, thus want to be seen to be 'doing right' especially at a corporate level - hence the over elaborate scheme that BWML has put in place. They are the ones that would get any hassle, not the individual boater declaring 0% and doing a lot of boating. Tut, tut!   

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

as a 'visitor' it would be difficult to justify 0/100 as you would be using propulsion fuel to get to the marina, and more to get back out.

You don't have to justify 0/100 to the retailer. You just have to ask.

But no retailer is obliged to sell you anything.  Some retailers will not sell at the domestic only rate . Newark marina is one . But last time I filled up their rate at 60/40 was quite good.

Last time I filled up at Kings the pump was faulty and took a while to sort out. Last time I called in for fuel at Kings there was a boat on the fuel berth and no one about . Nowhere to wait  so I went to Newark instead.

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sign up for a blue card and a green card and fill up partly with one and partly with the other.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Just forget all this nonsense.  Your friendly fuel boat will bring the diesel to you at your preferred split and a darned site cheaper.

George

Can you advise of any fuel boats that operate between Nottingham - Gainsborough - Hull - Grimsby- Goole - Lincoln - Boston.

having a 14 foot beam tends to limit the access to the canals.

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you advise of any fuel boats that operate between Nottingham - Gainsborough - Hull - Grimsby- Goole - Lincoln - Boston.

having a 14 foot beam tends to limit the access to the canals.

It IS a canal forum though.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And 'proper' canals have no problem with fat-boats.

You seem to be blinded by those muddy ditches with 8 foot wide locks - try getting out more and see the rest of the system.

Not really. 

You've bought a boat too big for most of the British canals. Next, you'll be claiming you should pay a reduced licence fee because you bought a boat too big to fit! :giggles: