12v oil pump for £13.99

Rebotco

Featured Posts

I’ve had a Lidl one for about a year - it quickly empties our Kelvin sump of Luke warm oil via a side access cover.

Only problem has been the excitement caused by the 2L recipient container filling up much quicker than expected.

I managed to knock it over and contaminate the battery compartment :angry:

Not the pump’s fault of course :)

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ooo a butler joke. Well done!

Such a pleasant change from the ecofan jokes  :P

Or badly calibrated SmartGauge jokes.........

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ooo a butler joke. Well done!

Such a pleasant change from the ecofan jokes  :P

Or badly calibrated SmartGauge jokes.........

I've got one, not from Lidl but same thing from E Bay, bought it because of an old car with rounded off sump drain bolt. Now use it for all oil changes, it saves grovelling about under a car and removing loads of plastic shrouds and worries about a new copper washer, its slow and you must warm the engine and probably leaves a bit of old oil in the sump but I can live with that, when it falls apart I will get another one.

I bought one when I got my boat 4 years ago. 

Came in handy for draining the gearbox oil, (1.5 litres) when I couldn't get the drain plug undone. Other than that I would think it is too slow for draining the engine sump.

Better to use a PELA pump, even though these are more expensive. 

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I bought one when I got my boat 4 years ago. 

Came in handy for draining the gearbox oil, (1.5 litres) when I couldn't get the drain plug undone. Other than that I would think it is too slow for draining the engine sump.

Better to use a PELA pump, even though these are more expensive. 

Really? 

I had one of those a few years ago and it was mindbogglingly slow to suck up engine oil via the dipstick hole - such a thin tube necessary and needed constant attention restoring the suction. 

Is this electric pump self priming? No-one has answered that question yet.

If even slower than a PELA pump at least it can be left alone for an hour to carry on with it's job.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? 

I had one of those a few years ago and it was mindbogglingly slow to suck up engine oil via the dipstick hole - such a thin tube necessary and needed constant attention restoring the suction. 

If even slower than a PELA pump at least it can be left alone for an hour to carry on with it's job.

I haven't found the PELA to be particularly slow,  though I now use it to drain water from the bottom of the fuel tank, which only tales a couple of minutes.

Yes, the Aldi pump is self priming. However it can't be left running for an hour, as the instructions state it mustn't be run continuously for more than 10 minutes before requiring a 10 minutes cooling down period. It is the pumping equivalent of an ecofan :P

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

However it can't be left running for an hour, as the instructions state it mustn't be run continuously for more than 10 minutes before requiring a 10 minutes cooling down period. It is the pumping equivalent of an ecofan :P

So when I calculated it would take approx 15 mins to transfer 20l of diesel from a gerry can to the tank I was wrong. Based on that info its 10mins+10mins cooling+5mins = 25mins for 1 gerry can and if I want to do 2 cans its (10+10+5)+(5+10+10) so in reality close to 50mins  for 2 Gerry cans of diesel, thats assuming it will work at the max quoted transfer rate.

Looks even more unattractive.

More a pumping equivalent of a chocolate ecofan.

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s because you were searching for ‘chocolate’ and white chocolate isn’t... oh never mind ;)

I challenge you to find a white non chocolate edible table and chairs in less than a minute:)

ETA, Well, i'm not that hungry anyway....

bb1876e3b56834774e93d33c866540fb.jpg

Edited by rusty69

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Really? 

That does surprise me. The Pela pump is one of the best bits of kit on our boat. I have tried various pumps for engine oil changing, but the Pela is superb for me.

14 hours ago, catweasel said:

That does surprise me. The Pela pump is one of the best bits of kit on our boat. I have tried various pumps for engine oil changing, but the Pela is superb for me.

Mike's PELA pump was probably supplied out of calibration... :giggles:

15 hours ago, catweasel said:

Another vote for the Pela. Had one for 5 years on our lumpy water boat. Ideal for getting liquids out of confined spaces. Don't need it for getting oil out of the engine but lots of other uses.