I think i am going to give it a go but ?

W+T

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What happens if the marina can't supply someone with the specific skills you need?

Anyway if I wanted someone specific to work on one of my vintage diesels instead of the marina engine bod who knows nothing bout Kelvins, I'd happily pay the extra 50 a day. Or take my boat out onto the towpath.

Yep. I know loads who do that to escape the "marina tax."

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

All well and good provided the contractor doesn't need access to shore power. 

Very true. There are often ways around this though, we have never had shore power in 16 years, other than my own (20+year-old) genny on the bank. We fixed boats long before shore power was the norm ;)

5 hours ago, Dave_P said:

Wayne, will you be covering Birmingham?

Hi Dave, at the minute i am willing to travel anywhere. All depends on the time the job will take. I dont mind how long it takes but its overnight in a Travel lodge etc. 

On the marinas that charge an arm and leg to work, i would have to put that charge onto  the customer.

What the plan i have is for that is the boat owner can move the boat to the nearest access point for me to get to a si would have to get a genny if need be.  

Thing is i have rebuilt my boat on the drive and as yet no needed shore power but for when i soda blasted the hull and to charge my tools up which i can do with a genny if they run low.

Always ways around these little things.

Righto brew time is over so i am off again to get Faffer done a little more. Yes got two days off work :) 

And again thanks for the replies on this, i have been reading them all, just busy to reply t them all. :) 

1 minute ago, W+T said:

Hi Dave, at the minute i am willing to travel anywhere. All depends on the time the job will take. I dont mind how long it takes but its overnight in a Travel lodge etc. 

On the marinas that charge an arm and leg to work, i would have to put that charge onto  the customer.

What the plan i have is for that is the boat owner can move the boat to the nearest access point for me to get to a si would have to get a genny if need be.  

Thing is i have rebuilt my boat on the drive and as yet no needed shore power but for when i soda blasted the hull and to charge my tools up which i can do with a genny if they run low.

Righto brew time is over so i am off again to get Faffer done a little more. Yes got two days off work :) 

And again thanks for the replies on this, i have been reading them all, just busy to reply t them all. :) 

So easy and (comparatively) cheap to hire stuff like gennies and larger power tools now, and get delivered to the job. 

23 minutes ago, W+T said:

Stick a small inverter in the van, and charge the tools while travelling.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi Dave, at the minute i am willing to travel anywhere.

It is all too easy (in the early days of being self-employed) to say 'I'll do anything anywhere' as the fear factor of 'where is the next pound coming from' keeps bouncing about in your brain.

You can spend hours of non-productive and non-paying time travelling to and from jobs when you could be actually doing a 'small' job near home and earning money.

You are often financially better off declining jobs that would actually make a loss if you had costed them out properly - once all of your fixed costs have been covered, then start to look at jobs at a lower margin (called marginal costing) that more than cover your variable costs but may not make a contribution to fixed costs.

Grasping at straws and the fear factor are what cause many self-employed to fail in the 1st year.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You can spend hours of non-productive and non-paying time travelling to and from jobs when you could be actually doing a 'small' job near home and earning money.

That is easily fixed. Charge your normal hourly rate for the time you spend traveling there and back as well as time on the boat. 

That way, you won't mind traveling and the customer gets to decide if your visit still represents value for money.

I'm retired now, but worked freelance for many years. In the very different field of computer programming, but the same general principles apply when looking for work.

First, play to your strengths. Whatever you can do that's the most highly skilled and in the most demand, try to concentrate on that work because you'll make more money. It also tends to be more satisfying than doing less skilled work, and it really helps to be doing something you enjoy.

Location matters: Living near London, I mostly worked in central London, not just because there are a lot of computers there, but because the money's better, especially in the City. Transport costs are a factor, but your time spent travelling can be worth three or four times as much as the actual travel costs. You can probably charge more per hour for working on someone's boat in places other than Lancashire, especially in London, but put a realistic value on your time, estimate your costs and see if it stacks up.

Beggars can't be choosers: If you're not getting as much work as you want, it's better to take what you can get so long as it's worth getting out of bed for. I once went to Gloucester at very short notice for only three days' work, and spent about 40% of the fee on travel and accommodation, on the basis that it showed some profit and was better than sitting at home. Anything you do is experience and might potentially lead to other work.

• Greenie 1

Ok i dont know what i am doing wrong but most of the insurance companies dont do insurance for boat maintenance. Three are going to have to call me back next week with a reply. 

Onsi have tried are

HISCOX

BIBA

JTS

imply insurance.

Swinton

SJL

Has anybody got an suggestions of companies to try out for the Third Party Liability insurance up to 5 million please.

Cheers

wayne

Edited by W+T

Try describing it as something more generic if they don't have a category for boat maintenance.

Handyman maybe?

As long as you describe what you are intending to be doing accurately, and the insurance company know you are doing it on boats then you haven't made a false declaration.

From what you have said I think you are going to be doing more general jobs - moving cupboards, fixing leaky windows, refitting kitchens, installing bathrooms that take skill and time but are not really boat-specific.

If you were doing gas work, fully rewiring boats, or welding hulls of boats that would be a specific boat thing.

Have a look on somewhere like trusted trader to see how they categorise tradesmen, and see if what you want to do fits into one of their general groups.

I am not specifically recommending them, but this may be useful:

https://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/public-liability-insurance/insurance-for-the-handyman

If you think that's what you need, then try searching for tradesman business insurance instead of marine insurance.

47 minutes ago, W+T said:

Ok i dont know what i am doing wrong but most of the insurance companies dont do insurance for boat maintenance. Three are going to have to call me back next week with a reply. 

Onsi have tried are

HISCOX

BIBA

JTS

imply insurance.

Swinton

SJL

Has anybody got an suggestions of companies to try out for the Third Party Liability insurance up to 5 million please.

Cheers

wayne

Have self employed friends who use Towergate and Direct Line

https://www.towergateinsurance.co.uk/public-liability-insurance?utm_campaign=googleppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI183n8duY2QIVhrftCh3dpAPLEAAYASAAEgIvkfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/public-liability-insurance/guaranteed-to-beat?cmpid=43700012706165130/bptra/ppc/GOOGLE/direct+line+public+liability/kwd-6757138775/1006865/c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIueCW2tuY2QIVT7XtCh1o3glMEAAYASAAEgItFPD_BwE

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

6 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Try describing it as something more generic if they don't have a category for boat maintenance.

Handyman maybe?

As long as you describe what you are intending to be doing accurately, and the insurance company know you are doing it on boats then you haven't made a false declaration.

From what you have said I think you are going to be doing more general jobs - moving cupboards, fixing leaky windows, refitting kitchens, installing bathrooms that take skill and time but are not really boat-specific.

If you were doing gas work, fully rewiring boats, or welding hulls of boats that would be a specific boat thing.

Have a look on somewhere like trusted trader to see how they categorise tradesmen, and see if what you want to do fits into one of their general groups.

I am not specifically recommending them, but this may be useful:

https://www.directlineforbusiness.co.uk/public-liability-insurance/insurance-for-the-handyman

If you think that's what you need, then try searching for tradesman business insurance instead of marine insurance.

6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

3 hours ago, NB Lola said:

It’s an unusual job so the insurers are going back to the underwriters, not unusual.

Looks that way Paul. I have about 5 now getting back to me next week. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Google "marine trade insurance" and it brings up lots of links of brokers who cover boatbuilders, boatfitters, boat repairers, boatyards, marinas, hire companies, marine surveyors etc. 

I will give it a go tomorrow and see what turns up then and call them next week, thanks ;)

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

You would think so but they were the first i called i think and they will be getting back to me as the need to call the underwriters.

I just hope i will not be extortionate. 

It must be much easier to be or become a self employed person these days, what with mobile telephones, internet phones, sat-navs and all. When I first went self employed in about 1965 there was none of that of course. I was a sort of semi mobile car mechanic and inarticulated lorry repairer, semi mobile in as much that most of the time I did roadside, gutter repairs but had a lockup garage in a pub yard to carry out more major repairs. At about 30 yds away from my lockup was a telephone box in the street which was very handy. I glued a tiny wooden block in its door post to keep it slightly ajar and gave my customers its number. With the door ajar I could just hear it ringing. But it all got quite troublesome and confusing if someone went into the box to make a call when one of my customers happened to ring at the same time. I had to keep on renewing the little block too because the nuisance of a GPO cleaning lady kept removing it.  Being mainly mobile I also had to hold an hours early morning ''Phone in'' at home between 7.30 and 8.30am to take bookings.  My A to Z road atlas was a godsend as there was no sat-navs. No Sat-Lavs either when your mobile, relying on the customers being at home in case I wanted to go. I carried what I called my Wee-Can and funnel in the back of my old Land Rover for number 1's, but number 2's could present a big and smelly problem if the customers were not at home whilst I mended their cars. I had to eat a certain diet and trained myself to the regular routine of carrying out number 2's at home precisely at 7.15am, just before my phone in, but on occasion I was caught out. To begin with I had no public liabilty insurance, bank account or accountant.  It was all mind bogglingly hard work, especially during the winter which was always busy.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, bizzard said:

It must be much easier to be or become a self employed person these days, what with mobile telephones, internet phones, sat-navs and all. When I first went self employed in about 1965 there was none of that of course. I was a sort of semi mobile car mechanic and inarticulated lorry repairer, semi mobile in as much that most of the time I did roadside, gutter repairs but had a lockup garage in a pub yard to carry out more major repairs. At about 30 yds away from my lockup was a telephone box in the street which was very handy. I glued a tiny wooden block in its door post to keep it slightly ajar and gave my customers its number. With the door ajar I could just hear it ringing. But it all got quite troublesome and confusing if someone went into the box to make a call when one of my customers happened to ring at the same time. I had to keep on renewing the little block too because the nuisance of a GPO cleaning lady kept removing it.  Being mainly mobile I also had to hold an hours early morning ''Phone in'' at home between 7.30 and 8.30am to take bookings.  My A to Z road atlas was a godsend as there was no sat-navs. No Sat-Lavs either when your mobile, relying on the customers being at home in case I wanted to go. I carried what I called my Wee-Can and funnel in the back of my old Land Rover for number 1's, but number 2's could present a big and smelly problem if the customers were not at home whilst I mended their cars. I had to eat a certain diet and trained myself to the regular routine of carrying out number 2's at home precisely at 7.15am, just before my phone in, but on occasion I was caught out. To begin with I had no public liabilty insurance, bank account or accountant.  It was all mind bogglingly hard work, especially during the winter which was always busy.

So numbers is much like when they get a bit oooeeeerrr and being driver stuck in traffic for hours on end lol its fine a a number 1`s and a bottle or just jump out. 

hang on this is waaayyyy of topic lol

• 1 month later...

Though i would give an update as you all have been so helpful :)

What a few weeks it has been trying to get my head around things and get things done, been that busy with the venture and employed work not to forget trying to get my own boat done.

Well today I was talking to a chap about this new venture and something he said had stuck in my head about insurance and what is included in the policy. Now the policy I was about to take out yesterday stated it was for `Boat Maintenance including fitting bathrooms and kitchens including plumbing` that last part was in case I flood a bloat. And yes not the correct boat terms but that it how it was stated on the policy.

I have a a job on this weekend servicing a narrow boat engine, now what was in my head was if mechanical works included in the policy, I took it for granted ( daft I know now ) that it was and `Boat maintenance ` means the engine in the maintenance. 

Well I called to ask as it was not stated directly in the policy, well heck no it is not covered, even an engine service.. 

The woman was of no use for information but that the underwriters say they cant/do not cover that kind of work in there policies. 

I live and learn another lesson, no matter what the heading is it does not mean basics. 

So I have had to cancel that and at a lighter point, I have a new policy which covers mechanical work and more now, and at a better rate. So not a bad thing in the end but good job I had a feeling I did to check.

Anyway I have a few jobs inline and a few behind me already, so its working, now I need by business cards arranging and tow paths plodding. Mite even sign write the car I got for it :)

Thanks all for the help

Wayne ;)

Edited by W+T
  • Happy 2

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Good to see it's coming together.

Me to Rob, just hope it gets enough to jack in this driving job. Starting to get to me a bit. No fun now driving all day.

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Vistaprint do nice cards and also magnetic panels for your car. Ready in 48hours, easy to design

Great they are. I used then once many years ago. I designed one the other night. I will put a pic up later of it. Pretty chuffed with. I am down south in a few week so may change it yet if I get a good background pic of my own taken.