I think i am going to give it a go but ?

W+T

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, jocave said:

If you don't give it a go Wayne you may live to regret it later on in life,  if it doesn't work out you could always go back to being an employee..

I have a good a good few to many regrets in life so this one i need to do. Driving jobs are ten a penny and i reckon my recent employer would take me back on if needs be.  

20 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

Go for it.  I worked for seven different employers up until 1990 when I finally took the plunge and went self employed. 

OK, you haven't got the security of a regular income, and you have to take on anything and everything, but each week brings fresh challenges and opportunities.

You also have that wonderful freedom to be able to say no to anyone who expects you to do something you disagree with - you can't do that with a boss.

So like being single towards married he he 

28 minutes ago, ian west said:

You'd be fine on a crt mooring with car parking space within a few yards...;)

Ones i think i would prefer ;)

10 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

I would look for a marina without onsite engineering.  That will get you started if onsite is allowed.  Failing that get the insurance sorted and come and do some jobs for me.  I am too busy to do many myself so I need batteries changing, engine service, front cratch seats making, some electrics sorting some fixing of sorts, etc etc.  After following your work  PM me if you can get to near Great Haywood.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

We could well be interested in getting some work done as well if you were in Great Haywood.

Well that sounds great. I would be willing to travel and Great Haywood isnt to far, well towards Essex lol. 

All depends how soon jobs need doing but i will PM you. Thank you :)

I used to work as a maintenance man in a care home covering 5 homes around the country with other maintenance men. I could be in Birkenhead one day and Leicester the next or so on. I enjoyed the banter and quite liked doing the monthly checks. I didn't like the long hours. 8am till 4.30pm but you had to arrive at all homes for 8am some 50 -100 miles from home, some further afield like Devon and Wales. If the distance was under 50 miles each way you didn't get paid to travel, so travelling time not earning! Sometimes stuck in traffic so didn't get home till late after leaving at 16.30 Pay was £7.60 an hour, so not great.

I decided to eventually go self employed doing all aspects of property maintenance like decorating, carpentry, tiling, plumbing etc. I earn far less at £5,000-6k a year but like my independence and for the last 2 years have had local work by word of mouth. I don't charge a lot even though I'm an NVQ level 1,2,3 qualified plumber. Gas side lapsed in 2003. I get working tax credits and it's enough for me to live on. I run an old 1996 Volvo estate with business insurance and have 3million in public liability cover. I do my own HRMC self assessment from my own books and find it pain free online. Lately thinking I'm too cheap at £100 a day, so may increase rate. I also like the variety of work.

I would say go for it! Worst case is you go back into employed work or agency if times are slack.

James:)

Edited by canals are us?
  • Greenie 1

I think once you get your name out there you will surprised how many North West jobs there could be. T&M and L&L to start with but there will be a lot more within an hour commute from you. Portfolio, shmortfolio, just tell tell them you have one of the most popular threads (probably the most popular non political one) on the most popular canal forum. As for marinas, obviously insurance is essential wherever (10mil in many) but load their extra charge onto the bill and your time for filling in three different forms. I bet it's amazing how quickly a boat will move 40ft to the towpath side. Saying that, I am now hoping that there isn't a by-law preventing tradesmen from carrying a bag of tools down the towpath to complete a small job on the interior of a boat.

Good luck with your new venture self employed beats being employed hands down.

'Simply Business' are an insurance comparison broker who can give you quotes for public liability insurance, just look online. Also if you know any friendly accountants get some advice for your tax returns, HMRC won' tell you the best way to offset against tax! 

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Its the way forward Wayne best day of my life when I left my last employer didnt look back and would not want to work for anybody ever again!!

Seconded.

Wayne I think you will do very well. Pick and choose the jobs you think you can do well. People will think all the more of you for declining work you think might be beyond your abilities (and there will always be some). Work within your capabilities and your reputation for doing it 'right first time' will grow, and at the same time your repetoire of skills will grow almost imperceptably to you. 

When I first went properly self-employed (as opposed to subbing for a firm finding you the work), it is the most AMAZING feeling when someone asks YOU to do some work for them, then pays YOU not your employer for a job well done. Go for it!

• Greenie 1

A boatyard will charge upwards of £40+ VAT per hour for anything from jetwashing to engine rebuilds. Some is stuff we could do ourselves, some the magic known only to diesel whisperers. For general maintenance/handyman work I really don't think £150/7.5hr day is unreasonable before business overheads, NI, tax, down time between jobs, speccing jobs etc etc.

If you have never been self-employed before then the two most important bits (more so than the permissions to work in marinas)

1) Keep 1/3rd of everything you earn in an account to pay the tax next year

and

2) Pay your National Insurance (Class 2) 

Not doing these two things causes way more problems for people setting up as a sole trader than anything else.

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If you have never been self-employed before then the two most important bits (more so than the permissions to work in marinas)

1) Keep 1/3rd of everything you earn in an account to pay the tax next year

and

2) Pay your National Insurance (Class 2) 

Not doing these two things causes way more problems for people setting up as a sole trader than anything else.

I know people who put that third into premium bonds and try and win a few quid before the draw it out to pay the tax bill

Wayne, just to give you an idea of how it can pan out.

Our marina out in the Fens has a moorer  who was a kitchen fitter who set himself up as a boat handyman.

For the last 6 years he has been able to get enough work to keep  himself busy  He does anything from small fitting jobs to full fit outs plumbing work and paint jobs.

So if he can do it from 86 liveaboards I'm sure you can.

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose

13 hours ago, W+T said:

Hi all. For some time now i have been wanting to work for myself and after the hassle again with work and feeling the push to get on with life in a new career i mite as well try my hand at a new job/career. Which is working on boats doing Handy man job and repairs etc etc. I have been asked over the recent years by folk if i can do jobs on there boats but with the way work was and time i have had and the boat i doing up for myself i was unable to.  I think i have a good reference for now until i get my portfoli set up with the boat i am doing. 

I would not be claiming to be a professional either, but more than a Handy ` bodge and go` Man. 

Until now as the plan is to start off weekends and go from there, well as soon as i get myself sorted with a van and insurance etc etc. I have a few jobs in line to look into and some being a long way from home but its a start, thing is these are not on canal boats but sea going vessels.

First question on this is what are boat yards like towards outside contractors going on site to work on private boats on there moorings and standing ? Do the majority charge for going on site  and/or charge a % of the earnings from the contractor?

Cheers

Wayne ?

Ours charge the boat owner £50 per day for the use of external contractors which makes it not viable to get them in.

20 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Ours charge the boat owner £50 per day for the use of external contractors which makes it not viable to get them in.

Hell's bells, that is steep, and likely as you say to be a punitive charge intended to discourage boaters from getting in people from outside the marina. Somewhere like Preston which Wayne could cover seems more amenable. They ask for £3mil public liability and £5/day or £60/month licence per contractor. This is payable by the contractor.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

What happens if the marina can't supply someone with the specific skills you need?

Anyway if I wanted someone specific to work on one of my vintage diesels instead of the marina engine bod who knows nothing bout Kelvins, I'd happily pay the extra 50 a day. Or take my boat out onto the towpath.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What happens if the marina can't supply someone with the specific skills you need?

Anyway if I wanted someone specific to work on one of my vintage diesels instead of the marina engine bod who knows nothing bout Kelvins, I'd happily pay the extra 50 a day. Or take my boat out onto the towpath.

No idea.