Battery charging

the blind novice

Featured Posts

I am not being funny. First check the charging output, in the specs. (no model number or year given) It may be less than 10 amps and if so I feel that a single bank will do AS LONG AS YOUR HAND START WORKS and you can starts it that way. On the face of it, given a decent battery capacity AND charging regime, one bank should be fine for the stated use. However under spec. the battery or not charging it enough will require hand starting.  If you do have a low current battery charging output the charging regime becomes vital and it could be difficult to achieve.

Another battery won't help a bit unless you have alternative ways to charge it but the outboard. In fact you might need a smaller battery depending on your charging regime.

Not very fond of the words "Suitcase generator" and  "safe" in the same sentence but it is a good option to provide the function.

Does the pot have a lid ?  You get quite a lot of solar panel for the price of a generator.

8 minutes ago, forsberg said:

Another battery won't help a bit unless you have alternative ways to charge it but the outboard. In fact you might need a smaller battery depending on your charging regime.

Not very fond of the words "Suitcase generator" and  "safe" in the same sentence but it is a good option to provide the function.

Does the pot have a lid ?  You get quite a lot of solar panel for the price of a generator.

Thanks for the info. Im not safe to wire a 3 pin plug. Im hoping to spend the summer cruising the rivers and canals. Retired now so no boss to answer to. Im a complete novice to boats but the summer is coming and I want to see this country from a different angle

But can you start the engine by hand. Typically they are no harder than lawn mowers. I certainly started 9.9hp Mercurys by hand and so did day boat customers and that was in the days of contact ignition, not electronic as outboards have today.  Definitely fit as much solar as you can for summer use and charging the battery back up when you leave the boat.

having separate engine and domestic banks requires charge splitting and whatever type you get apart from a big manual switch, even zero voltdrop ones, puts a small additional load that slightly reduces the available current. But all means add another battery to a single bank but in your case I think in the absence of much data its the charging side of however many batteries and banks you have that will cause any problems. Not battery capacity.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

But can you start the engine by hand. Typically they are no harder than lawn mowers. I certainly started 9.9hp Mercurys by hand and so did day boat customers and that was in the days of contact ignition, not electronic as outboards have today.  Definitely fit as much solar as you can for summer use and charging the battery back up when you leave the boat.

having separate engine and domestic banks requires charge splitting and whatever type you get apart from a big manual switch, even zero voltdrop ones, puts a small additional load that slightly reduces the available current. But all means add another battery to a single bank but in your case I think in the absence of much data its the charging side of however many batteries and banks you have that will cause any problems. Not battery capacity.

Again many thanks for all the tips. I wish I could supply the details of the engine but I have no idea of the age of the engine. It runs very well. Even the boat is a puzzle. I thought it was a Shetland. But after joining the owners club. I find out its not a Shetland. Someone suggested it may be a Norwegian cell boat. But I've looked very hard to no avail. So I have a white 20ft boat with an 9.9 Yamaha outboard. Should be an interesting summer cruise lol. It does have a top and a 100 watt solar panel is an option. Perhaps I will find one as I wander the waterways. If anyone is upgrading and wanted to pass on the old system?

• 4 years later...

Just on the suitcase generator thing, and since you are a novice and no-one has spelt it out, petrol vapour is a bit like gas in that it is heavier than air and thus tends to collect in the bottom of the boat (bilges) where it could cause an explosion. So be very careful with storage and use of petrol. For example, never refuel a generator on the boat, always do it on the bank, and make sure any containers are totally leak-free.
And never run a generator on the boat, always run it on the bank downwind of the boat, because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

...petrol vapour is a bit like gas in that it is heavier than air and thus tends to collect in the bottom of the boat (bilges) where it could cause an explosion

Just to emphasise this sage advice, you may think the occasional the small amount would be ok, but heavy petrol vapour is like water in the bilge - it doesn't disperse, it sits there, gradually building up. 

Also, whilst the running of generators is permitted between 8am and 8pm, bear in mind that it will hack off your boaty neighbours and the local residents at all times of the day and night. ;)

Yoghurt pots do bring their own particular challenges, don't they, so I apologize if the about sounds a bit negative, but forewarned is forearmed there's plenty of experience around here to help you with them. :)

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Well, if the OP has not immolated themself after 4 years, or been  filled in by a neighbour, either they are lucky, or behaving correctly.

N

Oh yes, didn’t notice that. But ‘twas not me who resurrected a 4 year old thread!

6 hours ago, BEngo said:

Well, if the OP has not immolated themself after 4 years, or been  filled in by a neighbour, either they are lucky, or behaving correctly.

N

Well, his last post was written 19 July 2020, so he survived for a couple of years at least. Nevertheless, the possibility still remains that his last post was also played by a bugler around that time...

... so @nicknorman 's advice remains sage (which is also my excuse). :D