Printer... Laser or Inkjet?

jenevers

Featured Posts

I would say running costs are my main consideration when purchasing a printer both initial purchase price and ongoing ink replacement.

It would depend on what your needs are though, lasers tend to be good at high throughput especially of text documents but often not so good at high quality image printing.

Laser prints don’t run and smudge if they get damp. Colour lasers tend to be a fair bit more expensive than colour inkjet. Be very wary of printers that cost £30 and replacement ink cartridges cost £40!

Great deals can be had occasionally from companies who lease printers to large organisations. I bought a £500 colour laser printer from one such company, little used and fully refurbished, for £90. 

Similar thoughts from me, it depends what you intend to use the printer for mostly. We have occasional document and photo printing so we use inkjet.

Previous experience has taught me to check the cost of the replacement cartridges, our current printer is an Epson and seems to cope with infrequent use. Previously we had an HP printer and it would clog on the black ink and eventually i binned it because it would not clear without a lot of fiddling about. 

There are some very good prices out there at the moment, check supermarkets etc as some of their prices are unbeatable.

Good alternative cartridge suppliers will save you a nice amount of cash - these guys are good >>>  https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-original-and-compatible-cartridges

Edited by CV32

I used to work in a shop selling printers and cartridges - original, compatible and refilled. I haven't been involved in that for over 4 years now, so my knowledge is a little outdated. For the average home user, an inkjet is fine. The best ones are the ones that use 4 or 5 individual cartridges, rather than the ones that use a black and a multi. I always buy Canon, and have never had a problem. They accept compatible/refill cartridges, which can be a problem with Epson, and a nightmare with HP. Most Canon cartridges come in a standard size, which is what normally arrives with the printer, and an XL. I bought a set of XL compatibles for mine from Amazon for just over £14, which was for the 3 colours and photo black, plus 2 of the big black cartridges. 

Edited by DaveandDebby
To add more

Another approach which works for many is HP's 'Instant Ink' plan. With a compatible printer HP will send your ink to you as and when you require it.  It costs from nothing (for up to 15 pages per month), up to £7.99/month (for printing up to 300 pages per month). This might not work if you CC, as they post the ink cartridges to you as and when the printer tells them to.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Another approach which works for many is HP's 'Instant Ink' plan. With a compatible printer HP will send your ink to you as and when you require it.  It costs from nothing (for up to 15 pages per month), up to £7.99/month (for printing up to 300 pages per month). This might not work if you CC, as they post the ink cartridges to you as and when the printer tells them to.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en

I did 150 pages on my Canon this week, and the level of ink hasn't dropped at all. An HP printer with just two cartridges needs to be used a lot, otherwise the ink dries in the print heads, and you can use an awful lot of ink to clear it. Sorry, not a fan of HP, except for laser printers.

1 minute ago, DaveandDebby said:

I did 150 pages on my Canon this week, and the level of ink hasn't dropped at all. An HP printer with just two cartridges needs to be used a lot, otherwise the ink dries in the print heads, and you can use an awful lot of ink to clear it. Sorry, not a fan of HP, except for laser printers.

Whatever works for you :)

I've had terminal clogging on a Canon which I threw into a skip in a fit of temper, regular clogging on a series of Epsons, two terminally faulty lasers (Samsung and Ryobi), and no clogging at all over two years with my current HP Envy, bought in Asda on offer for about £45.  All of these at home, printing around 120/150 sheets a month.  If/when the HP starts clogging or otherwise becomes faulty I'll probably replace it with another laser, which I'll hope will last longer than 18 months - but that's what works for me, it won't suit everyone.

And there you have it everybody with a different opinion and nobody can really help. I use Epson inkjets and have for years. they are cheap, give a reasonable print out and I can buy 6 packs of compatible cartridges of Ebay for £12. The downside to Epson is that the print heads are part of the printer so when they block up if you cannot clear then then it isn't financially viable to get the printer repaired. HP print heads are part of the cartridge so there is absolutely no point in trying to clear a HP print head, go out and buy a new cartridge. You can get them cheap on Ebay as well. Don't listen to the gumph about cheap cartridges ruining your printer, they do not ruin your printer any more than manufacturer's cartridges do. Again I have been using clone cartridges for 15 years or more and never had a cartridge break my printer. Clones can run if the print gets wet answer don't take your prints out in the rain. If you have to (and I do) then use plastic pockets or better still laminate them. Manufacturer's cartridges do tend to be waterproofish but not as waterproof as laser prints. Page for page Laser is cheaper for black and white not so for colour. The key is to use your printer often. If you don't the ink WILL dry in the heads.

I guess another point is that if on the HP Instant Ink program you won't care how much ink gets wasted clearing clogs, because it doesn't cost you anything :)

Edited by WotEver
typo

My Canon MG5350 has done sterling work over the years.  It takes four cartridges plus an extra large black for text only.

In my experience, print cartridges that print directly on to the paper are prone to clogging, especially if used infrequently.  The  Canon has lots of maintenance programs which sort most things out.  Many ink cartridges are now chipped; I've not had problems with ones from printerinks, which are a third of the price of Canon ones.

Downside of inkjets is the ink is very prone to fading, especially the colours.  Also they are less resistant to dampness.

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Whatever works for you :)

I've had terminal clogging on a Canon which I threw into a skip in a fit of temper, regular clogging on a series of Epsons, two terminally faulty lasers (Samsung and Ryobi), and no clogging at all over two years with my current HP Envy, bought in Asda on offer for about £45.  All of these at home, printing around 120/150 sheets a month.  If/when the HP starts clogging or otherwise becomes faulty I'll probably replace it with another laser, which I'll hope will last longer than 18 months - but that's what works for me, it won't suit everyone.

If I did more printing, or had printing to do regularly, I'd choose a laser. But my Canon inkjet can sit quite happily for 6 months unused, and work perfectly straight away when I needed it to. I had my last one for 6 years, and only changed it when I got a new laptop. This Canon cost me £50, and I anticipate keeping it at least another 6 years. And it's wireless, which I love.

Epsons can be a nightmare, but they would be my second choice. We used to get two or three in a week for us to "unclog". The only time we had that issue with Canons was when the consistency of the magenta ink was changed by the manufacturers. When the problem was discovered, it was changed back again.

120/150 sheets a month should be enough to keep the HP print heads from clogging.

Edited by DaveandDebby
To add more

We found that inkjets that do not get used at least once every few days will eventually clog up and die.

For general printing we now have a Ricoh geljet printer - it's a different system to the inkjets and does not clog up.

It hasn't got the resolution of a professional photo printer, but it's good enough for most things, and can be left unused for months then print straight away without any trouble.  It also only uses about 25W of power when in use, so great for on the boat.

3 hours ago, dor said:

My Canon MG5350 has done sterling work over the years.  It takes four cartridges plus an extra large black for text only.

Mine too. It does not clog up if left for weeks. Much better than the three HPs I owned earlier.  

On 07/02/2018 at 12:22, TheBiscuits said:

We found that inkjets that do not get used at least once every few days will eventually clog up and die.

I just came here to post exactly this! A major drawback of inkjet is their need to be in regular use.

For random use when you need it to work first time after sitting idle for six months, a laser is essential in my experience.

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I just came here to post exactly this! A major drawback of inkjet is their need to be in regular use.

For random use when you need it to work first time after sitting idle for six months, a laser is essential in my experience.

Inkjet cartridges with a printhead, yes. The ink dries in the printhead. But any inkjet printers that have tank cartridges, like most Epsons and Canons, and some HPs don't have printheads, so the ink doesn't block them. Mine is more than happy to sit unused for 6 months or longer, and works straight away when I need it.

Lasers are great, but the powder can get damp and then block the cartridge.

• Greenie 1

I am using an EPSON with continuous ink supply system (CISS), though have only been using it for a few months now, so can’t say how much I have saved on ink costs yet. I have ink for 3 years allegedly!

My previous printer was a high end Canon inkjet, which worked well for a few years, however it eventually died, and repair cost was well more then the printer.

My other half works form the boat, and tends to print a fair amount.

4 minutes ago, Kawayuppie said:

I am using an EPSON with continuous ink supply system (CISS), though have only been using it for a few months now, so can’t say how much I have saved on ink costs yet. I have ink for 3 years allegedly!

Watch the waste ink reservoir on the printer - with the CISS they sometimes overflow before warning you, as the cartridge counter doesn't get used.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Watch the waste ink reservoir on the printer - with the CISS they sometimes overflow before warning you, as the cartridge counter doesn't get used.

Cheers, I had actually forgotten about that.

That is the problem with ink jets, even the cheaper ones have sponges that soak up the waste ink, then stop working, until It is sorted out. With cheaper printers it is easier just to chuck them skip as it is a PITA to access and clean out the sponges. 

3 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Mine too. It does not clog up if left for weeks. Much better than the three HPs I owned earlier.  

My Canon MG 5350 gets used once a month and has never clogged its print jets, unlike the HP's and Epson's that ppreceded it. It is now over 4 years old and has never we missed a best.

I bought a small Samsung laser printer a few years back. The wifi function never seems to work very well, and the last time I tried it, the pages were coming out black (assume due to the ink soaking up condensation).

I bought a laser printer as the ink cartridges were supposed to be cheaper and last longer than the ink jets.If only printing black,I would make the same decision again.

As I rarely need to print nowadays I found that when I did the ink had dried up so changed printer for a laser printer, outcome:

Laser benefits for my usage overall cheaper to run because ink does not dry up. 

Downside takes a longish time to warm up and requires many of them  electrons to get started, have to run engine a highish revs just to do a short print run. Printer is ready when paper starts to smoke. 

Overall made the right choice for my usage. 

Edited by reg

2 hours ago, reg said:

As I rarely need to print nowadays I found that when I did the ink had dried up so changed printer for a laser printer, outcome:

Laser benefits for my usage overall cheaper to run because ink does not dry up. 

Downside takes a longish time to warm up and requires many of them  electrons to get started, have to run engine a highish revs just to do a short print run. Printer is ready when paper starts to smoke. 

Overall made the right choice for my usage. 

That's why we went for the geljet for occasional use. 

Lasers are probably a better bet for anyone who has mains electric, but low power was one of the requirements so I can print without the engine running.

If it's only for b&w docs in volume then a laser printer is great and not too expensive. It is horrendous waiting for a backlog of 100 sheets to print on an inkjet. As already noted, there is also a greater resilience to moisture with a laser print. Price to print is cheap. The occasional colour print can be ordered online and printed on a commercial printer. However, if you just have a few sheets a week to print then an inkjet will probably be fine, especially if you want some colour in there. Of the inkjet printers I've had, a couple had serious clogging issues. One of these was down to the heat of the environment 90F+, even a few days of inactivity and it would block, and the other hadn't been used for six months. The only reason I got a laser printer (Brother) was the sheer amount of stuff I needed to print at the time. It's still going after 9 years and I would definitely replace it with a similar one when it finally conks out. As for what will work with an ipad, even the dirt cheap inkjets connect wirelessly, supposedly.