I Hate Boats and Plumbing.

Featured Posts

We have had a mystery leak around our water tank for some time. It is a stainless tank with a breather to the deck above, and a filler above with a short flexible pipe (pretty standard setup.) I did work out that the leak occurred when filling up but could never put my finger on it (you will see where I am going with this.) Tonight whilst filling up, just as things started to overflow, I put my hand around the flexible filler pipe, to discover a tiny jet of water squirting behind the tank (right where I could not see.) The jet was very fine but enough to squirt behind the tank and build up below. I stopped it with my finger and lowered the level to prevent problems. SAT tape temp. repair tomorrow and a new pipe/de-rust and paint underneath when warm. Another job on the list.

Today I'm hating my calorifier as I've found it is leaking. Not a major job to replace but for the fact the boat was built round it , need the demolishion man. It was the same when the washing machine died, had to dismantle it to get it out of the boat. That reminds me of the C/H pump which I had to re-pipe working blind with my face pressed up against the Ellis gas boiler and my arms around it 

Why anybody thought any of this was a good idea needs shooting

Phil 

On 08/02/2018 at 08:28, Phil Ambrose said:

Not a major job to replace but for the fact the boat was built round it , need the demolishion man.

Almost Warrants a thread of its own, in my case

Leather club chair - one of the first items in when fitting out squeezed it in before any internal woodwork was done. 

Washing machine - plumbed in then cupboards fitted around it. 

Cauliflower - ditto above. 

Eta

Almost forgot the alde removal required dismantling half the bedroom to get at it

Edited by reg

On 08/02/2018 at 08:28, Phil Ambrose said:

Today I'm hating my calorifier as I've found it is leaking. Not a major job to replace but for the fact the boat was built round it , need the demolishion man. It was the same when the washing machine died, had to dismantle it to get it out of the boat. That reminds me of the C/H pump which I had to re-pipe working blind with my face pressed up against the Ellis gas boiler and my arms around it 

Why anybody thought any of this was a good idea needs shooting

Phil 

I often say this when working on our boat, but then remember that I fitted it out :rolleyes:

On 6/2/2018 at 20:59, catweasel said:

We have had a mystery leak around our water tank for some time. It is a stainless tank with a breather to the deck above, and a filler above with a short flexible pipe (pretty standard setup.) I did work out that the leak occurred when filling up but could never put my finger on it (you will see where I am going with this.) Tonight whilst filling up, just as things started to overflow, I put my hand around the flexible filler pipe, to discover a tiny jet of water squirting behind the tank (right where I could not see.) The jet was very fine but enough to squirt behind the tank and build up below. I stopped it with my finger and lowered the level to prevent problems. SAT tape temp. repair tomorrow and a new pipe/de-rust and paint underneath when warm. Another job on the list.

I had exactly the same problem, I was pumping out the cabin bilge every couple of weeks.

After I changed the pipe it took three to four weeks for all the water to filter its way to the back. I now have a dry cabin bilge for the first time in almost three years.