'Vollockies' versus Lock Keepers

pete harrison

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, MJG said:

No, I was talking about the lock near staniland marina.

It's the only one I know of where the gates on each side operate independently, so you have two switches for each end of the lock.

I didn't initially clock it thinking one side had failed and that I was going to have to pass through single gates. Of course when you look at it properly it becomes obvious.

As to sykehouse, yes I had forgotten about the one. I used to nickname it 'the monkey puzzle lock'. No problem if you follow the sequence, but we once got trapped there when the whole thing shut down and we had to wait for CRT to come.

From memory I think you have to work the footbridge over that lock first as well.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

From memory I think you have to work the footbridge over that lock first as well.

Actually you could be correct thinking back, Apols to VV. The bridge though wasn't the issue in our case.

Ps ISTR it carried vehicles that one and the 'foot' bridge that regularly caused hassle was the next one along adjacent to the road bridge that carries the road through Thorne.

Edited by MJG

13 hours ago, MJG said:

No, I was talking about the lock near staniland marina..................

...............As to sykehouse, yes I had forgotten about the one. I used to nickname it 'the monkey puzzle lock'. No problem if you follow the sequence, but we once got trapped there when the whole thing shut down and we had to wait for CRT to come.

I have passed through both of these many times and often had to call CaRT out to get through. Sykehouse in particular has been a problem I think I only ever got through twice without help. When the lock keeper lived in the lock house we ended up on first name terms due to the number of times he had to come out and work the lock from the control tower or demonstrate the 'big stick trick' in the hydraulics. A case for a full time lockie if ever.

PS the footbridge in Thorne is council owned CaRT don't help when that one is jiggered (often).

Edited by Midnight

On 13/02/2018 at 16:17, Mac of Cygnet said:

You're not married, then?

When a woman gets married she walks down the aisle, approaches the altar and then everyone sings a hymn. 

Coincidentally that’s exactly what’s going through her mind... “I’ll alter him!”