Metric Bolt measurements

dor

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dor said:

While trying to find out if my tap tails were 10 or 12mm I came across this useful guide to measurements associated with metric nuts and bolts.

Very useful!

http://www.thomsonrail.com/Technical Resources/A short guide to metric nuts and bolts.pdf

There is one obvious difference that affects owners of newer (usually Japanese) engines; M8 fittings often need a 12mm spanner.

I mention this because at some time or another we have to change or re tension alternator belt drives.

There are lots of other variations, but none that I can think of that a boater would regularly encounter.

14 hours ago, Eeyore said:

There is one obvious difference that affects owners of newer (usually Japanese) engines; M8 fittings often need a 12mm spanner.

I mention this because at some time or another we have to change or re tension alternator belt drives.

There are lots of other variations, but none that I can think of that a boater would regularly encounter.

Several of the sizes of bolts used on newer japanese kit the type with a flange under the head take different (smaller size spanner than standard)

8 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

The joy of standards is that there are so many to choose from......

We used to say that about pro audio cabling. XLR standard? Sure, who’s do you want? The audio company Shure even used both variants on one of their mixers - pin 2 hot on the inputs, pin 3 hot on the outputs!