Erewash Canal

markwp

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, markwp said:

We are planning a trip up the Erewash any local boaters can recommend it and  know if it safe to moor .

Unless it has been invaded by aliens over the last three years then its absolutely fine with loads of good moorings in various places. Please do not listen to the few who still insist on mentioning " No Go " areas as the very occasional problems will occur most anywhere over the years. Lovely moorings immediately at the top of Trent Lock on your arrival then plenty up and down the length. We are nipping up there again to the top for blacking next month Ill let you know if we were invaded!!

Edited by mrsmelly

We went up it a few years ago now and never had a problem.

Well we got a bad prop foul coming back away from the basin but they can happen just about anywhere. We also encountered a gang of some young lads and youths swimming in a lock but they gave us no trouble

So as others have said unless things have changed markedly you will be fine.

I'm not sure if the society still do the 'Head of Erewash Canal plaque' but if they do make sure you get one. 

ed - just checked and it was April 2011 when we did it, how time flies.

Great Northern basin for newsletter.jpg

IMG_0672.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

Sandiacre North for newsletter.jpg

Shipley lock for newsletter.jpg

Edited by MJG

However the 'Great Northern Basin' may prove something of a disappointment!  Small weedy pool (but quite pleasant) more describes it.  I left Cygnet there for a week, on the Erewash Development Association moorings.  The Great Northern pub behind was also a let down, being very ordinary.  The best pub was the Bunny Hop micropub in Langley Mill.

Great Northern Basin.jpg

We loved the basin, we spent a couple of days there broken down with a fractured alternator bracket.

Ok the surroundings were a bit 'gritty' but ASDA was handy short walk away and the basin itself was very quiet. The Elsan which was looked after by the Canal association IIRC was spotless and I think from memory it had a loo too. (though my memory may be faulty on that last point)

Unfortunately the yard (different owners back then I believe) were not able to help us fix/weld the bracket but we were in RCR at the time and they sorted it. That is till it broke again a few months later and I bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Edited by MJG

8 minutes ago, MJG said:

We loved the basin, we spent a couple of days there broken down with a fractured alternator bracket.

Ok the surroundings were a bit 'gritty' but ASDA was handy short walk away and the basin itself was very quiet. The Elsan which was looked after by the Canal association IIRC was spotless and I think from memory it had a loo too. (though my memory may be faulty on that last point)

Unfortunately the yard (different owners back then I believe) were not able to help us fix/weld the bracket but we were in RCR at the time and they sorted it. That is till it broke again a few months later and I bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Funnily enough the missus and I went up there int car last week when out and about. Like others we have read about and indeed been there before and the area is oft described as " A bit grim " :lol: Well I can only speak from experience and having lived for several years in Castleford and Policed in west Yorkshire I can assure our readers that Langley Mill is indeed quite " Posh " and we actualy remarked last week that there are a lot of people out there who realy havnt a clue what a rough area is.

There is a rally at Langley Mill this coming May, on the 50th anniversary of the reopening of the Great Northern Basin:

http://www.erewashcanalpreservationanddevelopmentassoc.org.uk/rally-2018/

It's a great time to to visit and support this wonderful canal. 

It's also a good time to get your docking work done, as the dry dock is fully insured for liveaboards and happily accepts DIY hire.

Dan

Haven't been up for years had a bad reputation, cycled on tandem 2 years ago as canal ring up Erewash down Nottingham. Rough looking locals fishing in the locks smoking dodgy substances.... Who then smiled chatted and insisted on helping us lift the huge bike over anti motorbike barriers, asked us where we were from etc. Hoping to make the festival, if we are out of dock. Remember having to go in in long Eaton to get a tyre of the prop, no shower on the boat and April, back in the 80s. Cycled back to sawley and smuggled myself into the shower...

Its a great area although recently the planners seem to be allowing the immediate surroundings of the Langley Mill Basin to become a fast food hotspot.  Try Basilia instead, a great deli/cafe.

The Erewash itself offers easy mooring and few locks, with excellent views across open countryside. The adjoining abandoned canals make for great walks.

16 hours ago, MJG said:

I wonder on the reason either Pete (Newman) or his helper could not fix you up re welding the bracket as during my time there that job could have been fixed soonest

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I wonder on the reason either Pete (Newman) or his helper could not fix you up re welding the bracket as during my time there that job could have been fixed soonest

I don't remember the reason TBH, I remember they had a boat on the hard which they were lengthening so I guess they were too busy.

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Might it have been a cast bracket making it a tricky weld? Ian .

A guy the RCR man knew managed to weld it but as I said a few months later it broke again so maybe you are correct.:unsure:

5 hours ago, Yank on the Cut said:

Its a great area although recently the planners seem to be allowing the immediate surroundings of the Langley Mill Basin to become a fast food hotspot.  Try Basilia instead, a great deli/cafe.

The Erewash itself offers easy mooring and few locks, with excellent views across open countryside. The adjoining abandoned canals make for great walks.

Langley Mill and Eastwood are good places to eat. As well as Basilia, the Royal Gurkha across the road and the Grand Siam Thai in Eastwood are highly recommended. No connection apart from visiting them on a regular basis!

On 07/02/2018 at 07:39, Yank on the Cut said:

I wouldn't have said it exactly offers easy mooring...many stretches were too shallow when I was there in 2014 (hopefully it has improved since the Ilkeston festival?). And more than a few locks in my opinion (and with tedious vandal locks). But if you read posts on here you can plan where to moor (playing fields in Ilkeston and before the railway bridge north of Cotmanhay are two nice spots). It is worth doing though!!

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

It was also very fun trying not to look smug whilst overtaking cars stuck in traffic where the road and canal run parallel in Long Eaton :D

Oh no, you should have perfected the smug look whilst giving them a friendly wave :D

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

It was also very fun trying not to look smug whilst overtaking cars stuck in traffic where the road and canal run parallel in Long Eaton :D

Traffics always crap there, busy as hell :mellow: