Numpty question about mains voltage frequency

KJT

Featured Posts

Not boat related, however a friend of mine who is living in the Philippines is building a house and has asked me to ship him some electrical items (tools, lighting, battery chargers etc) which he would prefer to be sourced in the UK.

The issue is that the mains voltage over there is 220/230 volt but at 60hz not the 50hz we have over here. 

Before I make a potentially expensive (or even lethal) mistake, is anyone able to advise if that is likely to cause a problem if 50hz equipment is operated at 60hz? And if so, what kind of equipment is likely to be most affected by the higher frequency.

As always any advice will be very welcome.

Ken

I know old fashioned TVs & computer monitors used the frequency to time the line scanning so produced a funny picture but I am not sure about modern flat screen ones. I have just checked the power supply bricks on a printer and monitor and both say 50 to 60 Hz. I suspect but am not sure than anything using a switched mode power supply is likely to be fine so check on the power labels but anything without a power supply may not be. Especially washing machines or anything else that uses some form of timer.

Anything with a mains electric motor - pump, fans, refrigeration etc will run 40% faster at 60Hz which, if they’re not specifically designed for it, can cause over heating and failure. 

I suggest you check the spec of anything prior to purchase and if it doesn’t specifically state 50/60Hz then I’d avoid it. 

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I just had a quick look at product specs online. Resistive products such as ovens - 50/60Hz, vacuum cleaners, dishwashers, washing machines - 50Hz only. 

What about microwave ovens?  Will the food still be heated the same amount, but rotated faster?

39 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Any particular reason why 40% faster?  60 is 20% more than 50. 

Just bad maths ;)

Torque increases by 40% but of course speed increases by 20% as you correctly point out.