Mooring in Leeds

Strider

Featured Posts

Could anyone advise me on what visitor moorings (preferably secure) are available in Leeds. When we came through in 2013 we used Clarence Dock which had only two or three slots next to the trip boat mooring. The others in the dock appeared to be long term or residential. CRT pointed me in the direction of their map (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network) which only shows moorings in Clarence Dock although now there appears to be five locations. I found this page (https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/boater-facilities-in-leeds-improved-ahead-of-waterfront-festival) on CRT site which shows four new moorings along with a new arrangement for Granary Wharf but I can find no maps that identify them.

Anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Granary Wharf:  The pontoons next to the sushi bar are signed 48 hours but apart from the trip boat mooring all the rest is 14 days (or at least not signposted). 

We spent two weeks there last July and no one objected.  We were moored in front of the old dry dock very close to River Lock - handy for the station and the bars :)

If we went again we think we would probably moor on the new 72 hour river pontoons outside the Royal Armories, then move a few hundred yards downriver to the next one after three days. 

Clarence Dock looked OK but we could not get our boat in to it at any point during our stay - the same boats were on the 48 hour mooring all the time we were there. 

The free water taxi between there and Granary Wharf is great, and makes either end a good spot to moor.

The moorings on the right as you enter are all long term moorings, and the visitor mooring is on the left with one end reserved for the water taxis.

A few years since we were last in Leeds. Some of the moorings in Granary Wharf were then chargeable but with power but not administered by BW as was.   Is this still the case? Or are they all now free. If so what about the power? And did the sanitary station at the base of Candle House ever open? 

22 minutes ago, pearley said:

A few years since we were last in Leeds. Some of the moorings in Granary Wharf were then chargeable but with power but not administered by BW as was.   Is this still the case? Or are they all now free. If so what about the power? And did the sanitary station at the base of Candle House ever open? 

Those are the 48 hour free moorings, and are covered by someone on site (not CRT).  I think you can pay to stay longer if you want. 

A friend who was boating with us decided to plug into the power bollard near the dry dock and the same bloke came and charged him a few quid for connecting to it.

I didn't notice a sanitary station in Candle House, but there is the one down the river at the Armories just through Leeds Lock.  We saw at least 2 people carrying toilet cassettes on the water taxi!

1 hour ago, Quaysider said:

granary wharf is fine - ie. the start of the leeds liverpool canal.  we can always fit in there "somewhere"... only 48 hours mind but to be honest, unless it's chocker, I can't see anyone caring...

If everyone thought like that there's a good chance it would be chocker!

• 1 year later...
On 05/02/2018 at 20:37, TheBiscuits said:

Those are the 48 hour free moorings, and are covered by someone on site (not CRT).  I think you can pay to stay longer if you want. 

A friend who was boating with us decided to plug into the power bollard near the dry dock and the same bloke came and charged him a few quid for connecting to it.

Is this still the case over a year later? And how much was/is the "few quid" for electricity?