London gets tough

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Close, Boris. Both hang around on wires. 

Boris-Johnson-Zip-Wire.jpg

I can just hear that photographer shouting up at Boris - Sir...Sir we're going to take your picture now....if you could just move that flag over to cover.... that's it.... just over the eh harness. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

I can just hear that photographer shouting up at Boris - Sir...Sir we're going to take your picture now....if you could just move that flag over to cover.... that's it.... just over the eh harness. 

Tis covering his union Jack.

Mind you, Isn"t he from royal blood? So just covering the crown jewels. 

1 minute ago, Peter X said:

Boris appears to be using his flags to signal the letter C in semaphore code. This may of course have been part of a longer message, we only have the one photo.

I'm not sure why this post immediately made me think of Cambridge University Netball Team.

Free word association is a strange thing.

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:26, simon&jan said:

It had slowly developed from a raft to what you see there since last December and had moved from kingscross to the east end of Islington tunnel , the owners had been made aware of it's intended destruction, I cycled past it almost every day upto  middle of January when we came through and cruised past it heading to the Lea, it had no roof then and was just a frame, there was some upset on London boaters but the local rangers said due process was followed. 

That's the first time I have heard that it started out life as a raft. Surely CRT's problem is that if they had ignored it then the next step would likely be someone else doing something similar and after a while yet another until eventually we had a floating shanty town type structure which had they tried to take action against there would have would have been a great deal of outcry - so IMHO their only option seems to have been to treat the structure as rubbish and dispose of it as quickly as possible, if for no other reason than to discourage other foolhardy (or deliberately obstructive) folk.

If they used s8 I'd imagine that gives the structure the legal position of being a vessel and all the attendant issues that come with that. :cheers:

As long as they're not obstructing the fairway I'd much much prefer to view lots of quirky and individual craft like that whilst cruising along than lines of boring floating railway coaches aka narrow and widebeam boats.

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

As long as they're not obstructing the fairway I'd much much prefer to view lots of quirky and individual craft like that whilst cruising along than lines of boring floating railway coaches aka narrow and widebeam boats.

That is an excellent point .... so long as they don't obstruct passage etc

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

One mans series of "quirky and individual craft" is anothers floating shanty town.

Well kept narrow and widebeam boats are okay. IMHO most of the others are best suited to the junk yard.

2 hours ago, jds_1981 said:

One mans series of "quirky and individual craft" is anothers floating shanty town.

Well kept narrow and widebeam boats are okay. IMHO most of the others are best suited to the junk yard.

.....said the IWA in their latest press release.....

• Greenie 1

This was spotted at Granary Wharf in Leeds last week. Its a bit more permanent than the Foxtons raft. It is unpowered. It has a registration number and the online checker confirms the boat is licenced, although no licence was on display. But it isn't listed on Canalplan.

Legit but quirky? Or the beginning of canal squatting in the north?

20180209_132211.jpg

20180209_132605.jpg

2 hours ago, jds_1981 said:

But then one man's "well kept" is surely another man's "not well kept"......................

Licence terms and conditions contain no reference to "well kept".

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

But then one man's "well kept" is surely another man's "not well kept"......................

Quite so. I've been judged and declared both a "shiny boater" and a "scruffy boater" by two different people on the same day. and in the same clothes and boat. 

Which leads me to conclude i tread the fine line between the two very accurately!

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This was spotted at Granary Wharf in Leeds last week. Its a bit more permanent than the Foxtons raft. It is unpowered. It has a registration number and the online checker confirms the boat is licenced, although no licence was on display. But it isn't listed on Canalplan.

I almost quite liked the top picture in a steampunk kinda way. It almost had me at the church organ parts - and then this second picture loaded and it lost me at the.... well, at the whole of the port side. :blink:

Edited by Tumshie

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I almost quite liked the top picture in a steampunk kinda way. It almost had me at the church organ parts - and then this second picture loaded and it lost at the.... well, the whole of the port side. :blink:

Same here. The bit that wrecked it for me was the door fitted upside down. Seriously offensive!

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I almost quite liked the top picture in a steampunk kinda way. It almost had me at the church organ parts - and then this second picture loaded and it lost me at the.... well, at the whole of the port side. :blink:

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

20180209_132211.jpg

20180209_132605.jpg

It was moored at Saltair in September, so the owner has managed to get it moved and turned around again as it is heading back towards Liverpool. I rather like it especially the bath tub which he uses as a dingy, you can just see it in the top photograph. I do wonder what the guests in the posh hotel, alongside which he is moored, make of it. We'll be heading that way in another few weeks, be interesting to see where he is then.

Ken

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

We heard you the first time:)