London gets tough

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same here. The bit that wrecked it for me was the door fitted upside down. Seriously offensive!

I'm all for some ingenuity but but a trip to the cowp for a bit of scrapheap challenge it just more than I can bear.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We heard you the first time:)

I know - I don't know what happened - it just wouldn't delete.

Nother Snoopy!  :cheers:

59 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This was spotted at Granary Wharf in Leeds last week. Its a bit more permanent than the Foxtons raft. It is unpowered. It has a registration number and the online checker confirms the boat is licenced, although no licence was on display. But it isn't listed on Canalplan.

Legit but quirky? Or the beginning of canal squatting in the north?

That's Ben with the piano raft.  Wonderful bloke, we have known him for a few years now.

Here is a quick overview of what he is doing:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/788720/man-pulls-piano-boat-liverpool-london-25-years-ben-cummins

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/197870238/the-piano-raft-theatre

https://twitter.com/pianoraft

https://www.facebook.com/pianoraft/

It's all kosher with the approval of CRT, except last year he got to Leeds and had to head back towards Rodley to do more work on it as they wouldn't let him go down the Aire with the raft in the state it was then.

Sadly the guitars have gone from the side of the boat - CRT told him he had to have fenders on a vessel so he added 2 Stratocasters ...

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Rodley last year in non-riverworthy condition, also showing fenders

It might not be everybody's cup of tea - but then its only their boat, so fair play to them, if that boat feels like home to them then job done. And they have put a lot of thought and work into it. The washing machine front is just a bit too much for me though.... :captain:

I am not a crt hugger but crikey I would not like to be an accountant for them or a legal adviser.

So many piss takers on the cut they can't spend money on them all.

One day cranes will be sent to the end middle and top of the system and they pull up the big sink plugs leaving us all with an email.

Dear Sirs,

Sorry about that but we've run out of penny's now, we do sujest you take the iron caster wheels off your recliner chairs as your boat may be leaning into the centre of the empty canal.

Have a great day.

CRT, liquidators.

Edited by brassedoff

14 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

That looks like it might have started life as a horse drawn caravan?

Pulled not sketched.

35 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Rodley last year in non-riverworthy condition, also showing fenders.

20170730_153936.jpg

20170805_132301.jpg

I saw the boat at Saltair in September. Seemed to be uninhabited for most of the time. I like the idea of it changing appearance depending on the things found or scrounged on the way. 

2 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

So many piss takers on the cut they can't spend money on them all.

Maybe, but Ben is not one of them.  He is as mad as a box of frogs, but he isn't a piss taker.

The Piano Raft is a travelling arts project and now a theatre since the extension was added. 

The raft is registered, licensed, insured, has a boat safety certificate and wheelchair access.

That is a world apart from the raft house that this thread started with.

• Happy 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe, but Ben is not one of them.  He is as mad as a box of frogs, but he isn't a piss taker.

The Piano Raft is a travelling arts project and now a theatre since the extension was added. 

The raft is registered, licensed, insured, has a boat safety certificate and wheelchair access.

That is a world apart from the raft house that this thread started with.

It was not aimed at genuine boats that play by the rules in no way at all.

Sorry.

As an aside, any forumites in the Leeds area might consider offering to help him down the Aire and Calder a bit.

As the raft is usually pulled by Ben himself, support from a powered boat might be a good idea downriver.

I would hate to see it go over Castleford weir!

1 minute ago, brassedoff said:

It was not aimed at genuine boats that play by the rules in no way at all.

Sorry.

No worries - it was just that your comment followed immediately after my photos of the raft.

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

As an aside, any forumites in the Leeds area might consider offering to help him down the Aire and Calder a bit.

As the raft is usually pulled by Ben himself, support from a powered boat might be a good idea downriver.

I would hate to see it go over Castleford weir!

No worries - it was just that your comment followed immediately after my photos of the raft.

I only read three quarters of the thread sorry.

Am a silly Billy.

• Happy 1

Just now, brassedoff said:

Thanks chucky egg.:)don't know how to do clashing  pint pots.

When you click on the smilie face and it opens the emojis - top right hand corner its says categories click on that and it offers you emoticon 45 click that, and then you get a whole nother world of silliness :apple::boat::judge::wub::giggles::boat:

3 hours ago, jds_1981 said:

Sure, but the day that I get to craft the license conditions ;)

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Oh, is that on the cards then?

I can't recall hearing anything about that!

Meanwhile,in Scotland

2.17 You must keep the outside of the Boat in reasonable repair and the area around the Boat clean and tidy. Scottish Canals will be the sole judge of what is considered reasonable. Guidance about what is considered acceptable can be found on our website www.scottishcanals.co.uk/yourboatsappearance

appears in the mooring conditions ...

5 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

Thanks chucky egg.:)don't know how to do clashing  pint pots.

When you click on the smilie face and it gives you the box of emojis - in the top right corner it says categories click on that then on emoticons 45 and you will find a whole new world of silliness. :icecream::sick::judge::banghead::help::clapping::wub::giggles::boat::hug:

My internet is so slow that my posts keep getting screwed up.  

Rusty69's gonna laugh at me again. :blush:

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

When you click on the smilie face and it gives you the box of emojis - in the top right corner it says categories click on that then on emoticons 45 and you will find a whole new world of silliness. :icecream::sick::judge::banghead::help::clapping::wub::giggles::boat::hug:

Rusty laughs a lot ,that is why they don't let him out very often.:apple:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Meanwhile,in Scotland

appears in the mooring conditions ...

Excellent, makes sense https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/activities/boating/information/your-boats-appearance/

Boat tidy and things stay on it. Unlike the attached picture.

The residential mooring terms I've read have conditions of only keeping things on the boat. Never taken notice of though.

IMG_20180105_084652.jpg

48 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Ang on al give it a bash:cloud9:lurve this hehe. 

Thanks Tumshie:cheers:.

Well brill. X

Edited by brassedoff