London gets tough

NigelMoore

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, markeymark said:

I hold my hands up, now that I have actually read the article in ES . whatever people might think, I believe that CRT could have handled it with more decorum and not just ridden roughshod over the dwellers. If any good comes out of this then the 2 guys will be rehomed because of all the publicity but this attempt at finding their own solution to be being homeless shows how ridiculous is the housing situation in the UK...and as sure as eggs are eggs its all gonna come crashing down, the achilles heel of a perpetual growth economy thats unsustainable. Look at Spain in 2008, and they did not even have a housing crisis like in the UK, and now they are really buggered. When it does happen (the crash) , all those in boats might actually be better off not saddled with a mortgage despite the negative equity that comes with the risk of boat ownership

Ive just read the article aswell .

Im still convinced CRT were right & the way they went about was right . Harsh but fair . To me , there was no time for dilly dallying . Just tear it down . Once down its no longer a danger . 

Despite the occupants situation i simply cannot find myself able to feel sorry for them . The project was dangerous & iiresponsible & they thought of no one but themselves .  All those comments about how people loved it etc etc are total nonsense - theyd change thier tune if it went up in flames with two occupants on board . 

If the chaps a gas technician or whatever then i dont understand how hes homeless . Gas bods aren t tied to London . Go elsewhere , earn money ... if you wanna come back then do it , but if your skint & homeless why hang around ? 

Agreed though , it is despite everything else , a sign o the times . 21st century Britain . Makes one proud doesn t it 

42 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

Thank you David. Can you point me to the relevant legislation for that? 

I had access to the information when I was Clerk to the Local Council, but that was more than fifteen years ago, and they were passed on to my successor. However, the Town and Country Planning Order seems to come to mind. It may also be referenced in one of the earlier Waterways Acts, but I disposed of all my copies some years ago. Your Local Planning Officer should know.

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm wondering what the reaction would be if this had been constructed as a dwelling on the bank

Richard

There are some temporary dwellings on the canal banks in the London environs that are frankly not a lot smaller than this.  Generally I think CRT choose to ignore those, unless someone has experience to the contrary.

Edited by alan_fincher

13 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Perhaps the destruction was consequent upon the thing being structurally unable to cope with being lifted.

If you try lifting it with what looks like a large grab, I suspect lots of things would be structurally unable to cope.  I can't imagine even something like Naughty Cal would react to well to being pulled out using a grab!

12foxtonshome0502a.jpg?w968h681

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Would the "Houseboat" legislation cover this situation?

That is a bit tricky, though the potential could be there. However in my understanding of the 'houseboat' legislation there would need to be a legitimate approved residential mooring attached to the vessel itself, for the definition to properly apply.

The powers relating to houseboats are of course, more draconian than those applying to pleasure boats, s.13(3)( a ) providing that, having given a 28 day minimum notice - "The Board may at any time after the expiration of the period specified in such notice remove or demolish the houseboat referred to in the notice and clear and restore the surface of the inland waterway disturbed by such removal or demolition."  [my bold]

Even so, the minimum 28 day notice applies, as you can see.

6 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Very badly handled indeed! Crushing it right there in front of other boats and passers by where it could be photographed is not good PR. Don't know why they didn't take it back to Bulls bridge where I think the crane came from...

I guess a raft house is the best description I could think of! :)

Seems to me that it is exactly the PR  they were aiming for. 

You put rubbish in the canal, we dispose of it. Next......

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Seems to me that it is exactly the PR  they were aiming for. 

You put rubbish in the canal, we dispose of it. Next......

You think it could be bit of a signal to others who consider putting a floating shed on the cut

That floating pile of **** was moored the other end of the tunnel a few weeks ago close to Kings Cross. Noted how unstable it was when a boat passed.  

Brewers have always made it clear that they ALWAYS retain ownership of their beer kegs and casks.  All containers are clearly identified with ownership details -conditions of trade place onus on the customer to ensure that empties are returned.

Edited by nbfiresprite

16 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Brewers have always made it clear that they ALWAYS retain ownership of their beer kegs and casks.  All containers are clearly identified with ownership details -conditions of trade place onus on the customer to ensure that empties are returned.

Which is going to be fun when the pub(s) that let them borrow those kegs have to pay for losing them.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which is going to be fun when the pub(s) that let them borrow those kegs have to pay for losing them.

But they are not lost - CaRT has taken possession of them. I wonder what position that places them in - should they so inform the owners of that property, perhaps even offer to return them?

4 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

But they are not lost - CaRT has taken possession of them. I wonder what position that places them in - should they so inform the owners of that property, perhaps even offer to return them?

Receiving stolen goods at a guess :)

Not like they were stolen - "A bloke who I don't know down the pub said it was OK if I took them" ...

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

All they have to do is give Kegwatch call on 0808 1001945.

51 minutes ago, NigelMoore said:

That could prove interesting. What if CaRT told Kegwatch they could have their barrels, but they first needed to pay CaRT's costs of snaffling them?

What C&RT should have done is phoned Kegwatch in the first place and let them recover the kegs.