Links to past posts not working

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, RichM said:

Only draw-back with that is that it would almost defeat the object of having separate forums to separate topics based on categories

I don't think that would be insurmountable

Might be worth feeding it back to IPSFocus as a potential future anti troll aid upgrade.

Suggest something like as described earlier with a drop down subject list for subject matters. Once user is promoted then threads also get promoted as per drop down list selection.  

As users would initially be unfamiliar with the forum then a default option, not requiring a list box selection could be assigned.

Typical scenario (of which im sure you already know) without this, is new user joins to start a bit of bovver gets a bit of traction his mates think I'll join up to give him support before you know it your fighting fires.

User promotion, whilst not being to onerous, could be a combination of Time, Posts made and perhaps registered users endorsement.

If a suspicious number of users join up at the same time then perhaps promotion could be staggered (But maybe thats a step to far)

Having all new users in one place should be of benefit to the mods as they will not need to keep chasing around various threads and would also make it easier to identify patterns

If I was to join a new forum I wouldn't object to the above if it was spelt out to me in the welcome forum

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RichM said:

As for the dry-dock topic, I have moved it to the Boat Building & Maintenance forum, topic linked here. Everyone should be able to see/post in it. Please confirm?

I can now see it while logged in.

1 hour ago, Asia_Off_Grid said:

I can view it. 

Yes, but you could before it got moved!

Edited by TheBiscuits
missed a bit!

1 hour ago, RichM said:

Sorry I'm late to the show. I have been working long shifts this week!

The "Guests and new members" forum is only intended to act as a prominent place-holder for the ..........

Rich

Well I cannot even see it let alone post in it :

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F176/1

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes, but you could before it got moved!

ONLY after I donated.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well I cannot even see it let alone post in it :

Rich still has to address:

https://canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/94981-links-to-past-posts-not-working/#comment-2100961

Permissions corrected. The only people who should be able to see the "Guest and New Members forum" are now limited to guests and new members as you may have guessed and it is a closed forum once again.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the "missing topic" has been moved to the correct forum

On 09/02/2018 at 19:42, RichM said:

Permissions corrected. The only people who should be able to see the "Guest and New Members forum" are now limited to guests and new members as you may have guessed and it is a closed forum once again.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the "missing topic" has been moved to the correct forum

Thanks Rich.

Can you clarify the purpose of the "Guests and New Members forum" for us please? Many thanks.

Is it intended as a sandbox to discourage new registrants intent on causing trouble? Or is it for some other reason?

32 minutes ago, RichM said:

I may be being incredibly dense, but if a 'new member' poses a question, then no 'old members' (who could maybe provide the answer to the question) will ever see the question, let alone have the capability to answer it.

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I may be being incredibly dense, but if a 'new member' poses a question, then no 'old members' (who could maybe provide the answer to the question) will ever see the question, let alone have the capability to answer it.

I'm under the impression that no members may post in that forum, any longer. It is for read only information.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks Rich.

Can you clarify the purpose of the "Guests and New Members forum" for us please? Many thanks.

Is it intended as a sandbox to discourage new registrants intent on causing trouble? Or is it for some other reason?

Sorry but that's not my area. - I simply just fixed the permissions issue. That forum pre-dates me and I simply set the settings to match the across all member usergroups, just like they were for everyone previously.

11 minutes ago, Asia_Off_Grid said:

I have to admit, I wish he would explain the reason(s) behind this, as well. My initial thought, regarding allowing "contributing" (donating) members to have access, was so they would be less critical of new members' questions. No "seasoned" members, in any case, will be able to assist a new member's queries. img

No, it's was and is now a closed forum as I imagine it's just intended to act as an "About us" page, nothing more. The only reason why some could post in it was because when I created the contributor usergroup, some of the permissions (of which there are many) were not set correctly. 

Anyway, now moving on to a couple other things in need of fixing. :)

Thanks all

1 minute ago, RichM said:

No, it's was and is now a closed forum as I imagine it's just intended to act as an "About us" page, nothing more. The only reason why some could post in it was because when I created the contributor usergroup, some of the permissions (of which there are many) were not set correctly. 

I realized that after taking a moment to think about it. I corrected my post afterward, above.

39 minutes ago, Asia_Off_Grid said:

I'm under the impression that no members may post in that forum, any longer. It is for read only information.

35 minutes ago, RichM said:

No, it's was and is now a closed forum as I imagine it's just intended to act as an "About us" page, nothing more. The only reason why some could post in it was because when I created the contributor usergroup, some of the permissions (of which there are many) were not set correctly.

So it is 'read only' but there is a 'contributor usergroup'

Its beyond me exactly what that means.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Not any more there isn't. It only existed because Rich unintentionally set the permissions wrong.

But - Rich states 

46 minutes ago, RichM said:

.....I created the contributor usergroup, some of the permissions (of which there are many) were not set correctly.

So there is a user group, but more people than should have had were given 'permissions', those have now been corrected so only those in the correct 'clique' can post.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So it is 'read only' but there is a 'contributor usergroup'

Yes, there is still a 'contributor usergroup'. Look under any member's avatar, and you will see what usergroup their account is in.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Not any more there isn't. It only existed because Rich unintentionally set the permissions wrong.

Not true. The usergroup still very much exists. (Have a look under my avatar. You will see my account is still a member of that usergroup.)

However, the permissions to view the "Guest and New Members" forum, for 'contributor usergroup' members, have been removed.

The only way 'member' and 'contributor' users may view that forum now, is to log out of our respective accounts and load the forum index page.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But - Rich states 

So there is a user group, but more people than should have had were given 'permissions', those have now been corrected so only those in the correct 'clique' can post.

There's not just one usergroup, there's several and this will have been the case since the forum started. The term usergroup here is used purely in a software context. Most, if not all forums developed in the last 15 years will be using usergroups. I explained a little more about usergroups here. 

Again, nobody should be able to post in the Guests and New members forum. I believe this is now fixed. To clarify, it's simply serving as an About Us page with content which many established users will not find relevant. None of the staff can see it either unless we log out and become a guest ourselves, I don't see what the issue is...

On 07/02/2018 at 20:46, Asia_Off_Grid said:

Typically, spammers will want to "hit and run". An easy way around this would be to moderate the first few posts made by new members. Rarely will a spammer hang around to post multiple times, waiting to post their rubbish on a site. (I've encountered that only once, in all my years of running online forums.) If they spam right away, send them packing.

I recently implemented that feature on a forum that I run. It’s proved highly effective at stopping spammers in their tracks. 

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

I recently implemented that feature on a forum that I run. It’s proved highly effective at stopping spammers in their tracks. 

Yep. I've never had spam see the light of day, due to enabling that. 

Spammers, typically, will not post until they are no longer moderated, in order to spam a forum.

Edited by Asia_Off_Grid