Why Do I get Sparks?

Rebotco

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ah, another one, except its my finger that's tattooed and the melted ring is in my cuff link box.

One of my early patients when I was training in the SE in the seventies was a lad who was an apprentice electrician, working on high voltage transmission lines, mostly buried in below-ground conduits. One week he had his right wrist bandaged and explained that he'd learnt not to wear a chain bracelet whilst crawling near cables carrying 40,000 volts.

Big magnetic field, big induced current...

20 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Well well. Forty years a sparkie and never seen this before. Most of us pros just make do with doing the job correctly and disconnect the earthed terminal first and re connect it last. Zero chance of a spark if you have any real idea what you are doing.

Out of interest, the linesmen (33,11 KV and LV) I used to manage all had insulated tools, including podgers of various sizes, being totally honest as a tree bloke not a lino I originally thought they were taking the pee when they asked for podgers :)

3 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

One of my early patients when I was training in the SE in the seventies was a lad who was an apprentice electrician, working on high voltage transmission lines, mostly buried in below-ground conduits. One week he had his right wrist bandaged and explained that he'd learnt not to wear a chain bracelet whilst crawling near cables carrying 40,000 volts.

Big magnetic field, big induced current...

The induced current thing caused me no end of problems during planned outages, apparently earthing an overhead line close to its UG point had serious implications for big bangs

14 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Out of interest, the linesmen (33,11 KV and LV) I used to manage all had insulated tools, including podgers of various sizes, being totally honest as a tree bloke not a lino I originally thought they were taking the pee when they asked for podgers :)

The induced current thing caused me no end of problems during planned outages, apparently earthing an overhead line close to its UG point had serious implications for big bangs

I've sat here for the last few minutes thinking but I give in............

What's a PODGER?

(I know I'll regret asking) 

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

What's a PODGER?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/ratchet-podger-spanner

Some insulated ones:

https://www.clydesdale.net/clydesdale-products/tools/product/insulated-podger-spanners

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

What's a PODGER?

Well thats why I thought they were taking the pee, one of these but insulated

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/17mm-x-19mm-ratchet-podger-spanner-black?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlvWSu9mR2QIVjrftCh3weghfEAQYAiABEgJWQPD_BwE

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

In fact those from clydesdale are what we supplied