Pubs in Foxton

fittie

Featured Posts

My late father lost a bet, a fiver I think, about there not being any pubs at the locks in Foxton. There was an Ind Coope pub, the Black Horse, opposite the church, telephone East Langton 250. but in the 60s and early 70s he did not think there were any pubs at the locks. Of course there are 2 now but my question is was my dad right?

While talking to a fellow boater and his girl/lady friend who insisted that the pubs had always been there.

My old guide book has no mention of any pubs other then in the village itself.

Your dad was right iirc , assuming he specified "at the locks" and was speaking forty or fifty years ago. The pub by the locks has had various incarnations but is in an old canal company building (heavily extended) that was part if the operation of the canal. I'm guessing Tony and Mary Matts started it as their business developed. Someone here will know more no doubt

There was always s pub by the first bridge over the Market Harborough arm though, hence the need to qualify "at the locks"

Not sure what the compound interest is in a fiver over 50 years, but someone owes you a bit of dosh. 

Edited by magpie patrick

The Black Horse used to have jazz nights on a Thursday (?) which were fabulous and we tried to be in the area on the appropriate night. The Barbridge Inn used to have jazz nights too but I think hey stopped many years ago. Any other canal side pubs doing jazz night?

haggis

I've just checked my old Nicholson's and there are no pubs at the locks which is as I thought it would be - my father knew his pubs and beer and many a boating adventure was based around some small brewer or pub - it was just that this other boater + other half were adamant about pubs at the locks being there for ever, well a lot longer then they really have.

6 hours ago, haggis said:

The Black Horse used to have jazz nights on a Thursday (?) which were fabulous and we tried to be in the area on the appropriate night. The Barbridge Inn used to have jazz nights too but I think hey stopped many years ago. Any other canal side pubs doing jazz night?

haggis

Foxton locks inn have a Friday lunchtime jazz session. Was there last Friday, was good.

Ian.

22 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Isn't there a 'pub' in a converted front room, Bridge 69 or something or has that now closed?

Yes but the thread is about what was there in the 50’s/60’s/70’s....Bridge 69 is a very recent addition along with the shop next door, only appearing after Tony & Mary were chucked out of what’s now the Foxton locks inn where they used to run the pub & yard before BW decided that making it pretty was more important than a working yard & decent pub...try going into the Locks Inn now in your boating scruffs to see the look on the faces of the both the staff & punters! Hilarious!