Boaters please dispose of your rubbish

the barnacle

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just a wild guess realy but I havnt googled to check but think there are probably more hobby boats than liveaboards in the uk? I am wintering in a marina at present and out of the 300 boats here well over ninety percent of them never get visited at present so I don't think they are lived on?

Oh. I see, Is that the basis on which you collected evidence in you previous occupation?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Oh. I see, Is that the basis on which you collected evidence in you previous occupation?

did you post that three times to try to devalue the statistic?

40 per-cent of litter bins could be removed from along the River Lea in a bid to prevent fly-tipping and “mistreatment”

The Trust, which manages 80 per-cent of waterways including the River Lea which passes through Hackney, plans to remove 40 per-cent of litter bins from towpaths nationally.

In a recent meeting between London National Bargee Travellers Association (LNBTA) and CRT, Sam Thomas, CRT’s London Customer Operations Manager said: “there is equal evidence for and against having less bins”.

Bin and gone: some trash cans have already been removed from Hackney

CRT plans to keep the bins in storage and only reinstate them if litter continues to be a problem.

In response to the announcement, Marcus Trower, Deputy Chair of the LNBTA said: “When CRT told us about their plans to take away 40 per-cent of bins to reduce litter, I thought they were joking.”

When challenged by the anti-litter campaign group, Keep Britain Tidy, CRT blamed the ‘mistreatment’ of bins as a justifiable reason to remove them.

CRT said: “In London, a number of litter bins along the towpath were being mistreated and were being used by people to fly tip…this means the bins in question were overflowing.

“People walking along the towpath will have to carry their litter a little further to put it in a bin, or maybe even take it home.”

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2017/06/20/river-lea-litter-fewer-bins-concern-canal-trust/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just a wild guess realy but I havnt googled to check but think there are probably more hobby boats than liveaboards in the uk? I am wintering in a marina at present and out of the 300 boats here well over ninety percent of them never get visited at present so I don't think they are lived on?

I think you have just contradicted you original "wild guess" They may constitute 90% vbut if they are but being lived on, they will not be producing much rubbish, or hav i missed something?

17 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

David you should know that in Mrsmelly's eyes its always the hobby boaters to blame for things that happen on the cut, the others stay in the marina

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I think you have just contradicted you original "wild guess" They may constitute 90% vbut if they are but being lived on, they will not be producing much rubbish, or hav i missed something?

Let me give you some facts re house dwellers. I opened and owned the business of annies tea room at Thrupp, it soon became a very busy place. Daily we got hordes of people turning up in their monthly rental Range rovers etc. Out would jump their dogs which would run about crapping everywhere whilst owners walked off head in the air pretending not to notice. Same thing happened when we opened Kizzies also canal side at Lower Heyford about twelve years ago and when we returned and ran it ior the last three years. I am sure the occasional boat living person lets their dog dump without picking it up I am also very very certain most of it is deposited by folks who wouldn't let the dogs doo in their manicured gardens when the towpath is only a short drive away. I also believe that most boats on the cut are hobby boats even tho 90 percent are parked 90 percent of the time there will still be more out there all year than liveaboards. Just sayin like. So that's why its probably a hobby boaters rubbish. No matter, hey ho worse things have happened at sea.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

40 per-cent of litter bins could be removed from along the River Lea in a bid to prevent fly-tipping and “mistreatment”

The Trust, which manages 80 per-cent of waterways including the River Lea which passes through Hackney, plans to remove 40 per-cent of litter bins from towpaths nationally.

In a recent meeting between London National Bargee Travellers Association (LNBTA) and CRT, Sam Thomas, CRT’s London Customer Operations Manager said: “there is equal evidence for and against having less bins”.

Bin and gone: some trash cans have already been removed from Hackney

CRT plans to keep the bins in storage and only reinstate them if litter continues to be a problem.

In response to the announcement, Marcus Trower, Deputy Chair of the LNBTA said: “When CRT told us about their plans to take away 40 per-cent of bins to reduce litter, I thought they were joking.”

When challenged by the anti-litter campaign group, Keep Britain Tidy, CRT blamed the ‘mistreatment’ of bins as a justifiable reason to remove them.

CRT said: “In London, a number of litter bins along the towpath were being mistreated and were being used by people to fly tip…this means the bins in question were overflowing.

“People walking along the towpath will have to carry their litter a little further to put it in a bin, or maybe even take it home.”

https://www.hackneycitizen.co.uk/2017/06/20/river-lea-litter-fewer-bins-concern-canal-trust/

But these are litter bins, not waste disposal facilities for boaters, boaters shouldn't be putting their rubbish in them in the first place.

You think you have problems. This is Bali,s famous tourist beach at Kuta near my current winter hangout. Locals dump their rubbish in the dry river beds across Bali in the dry season. Then when the monsoons hit a month ago all the paradise islands rubbish hits the ocean  the beaches get it first then the coral reefs. Local government does nothing to educate the people.  Much like New Grubby Britain i suppose where fly tipping is on the increase.

images.jpeg

And not being much of a dog lover ( well i like the dogs, its the owners i have problems with ) i am nonplussed at towpath dogwalkers who dilligently pick up fidos doodoo in a plastic bag, knot it and then lob it into the bush to become next years xmas decoration. Dont tell me you havnt seen it ?  "Its not my dog."   " I never would do such a thing". 

3 minutes ago, Irob said:

And not being much of a dog lover ( well i like the dogs, its the owners i have problems with ) i am nonplussed at towpath dogwalkers who dilligently pick up fidos doodoo in a plastic bag, knot it and then lob it into the bush to become next years xmas decoration. Dont tell me you havnt seen it ?  "Its not my dog."   " I never would do such a thing". 

Watched it happen, but I wouldn't risk challenging the long armed moron who did it

9 minutes ago, Irob said:

Yes ive seen it loads of times. I havnt done it but somebody obviously does. Always makes me think about people who extol the virtues of credit cards. Now we all know that banks make billions of pounds profit on them but have you ever come accross anybody who doesn't ALWAYS " pay it all off every month " thus never accruing any interest :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Irob said:

You think you have problems. This is Bali,s famous tourist beach at Kuta near my current winter hangout. Locals dump their rubbish in the dry river beds across Bali in the dry season. Then when the monsoons hit a month ago all the paradise islands rubbish hits the ocean  the beaches get it first then the coral reefs. Local government does nothing to educate the people.  Much like New Grubby Britain i suppose where fly tipping is on the increase.

images.jpeg

I saw the same thing in Albania - an unusually well manicured village on the edge of a beautiful tidal lagoon linked to the Adriatic - driving out the far side of the village was the local tip - all the rubbish dumped in a dry river bed.  .....  and this was at a recognised beauty spot where the government had declared a special nature reserve status.   

6 hours ago, markeymark said:

Not sure using prisoners to clean up is the answer, after all they dont make the waste. It is the supermarkets and packaging industry who control our purchasing decisions who are responsible, but unfortunately there are few alternatives available as all out products are overpackaged and so create rubbish. We live in a disfunctional consumerist system whereby the companies that sell us their goods dont actually clean up the mess they created.

when have you ever seen an oil executive doing a beach clean?

Cobblers!  The supermarkets have a strong interest in minimising packaging but reducing it often increases food waste. There is nowt wrong with packaging, you've just got to process it correctly after you've used it! After centuries we have managed to train people to poo tidily and not tip it out of the window, now we need to train them to deal with their packaging.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes ive seen it loads of times. I havnt done it but somebody obviously does. Always makes me think about people who extol the virtues of credit cards. Now we all know that banks make billions of pounds profit on them but have you ever come accross anybody who doesn't ALWAYS " pay it all off every month " thus never accruing any interest :rolleyes:

Actually, I do pay my credit card off every month and have done since I got it in 1982. Except for one month in the 1980s when I forgot to pay and had to pay about £7 in interest, drat! The bank still makes a little money out of me indirectly because I think retailers pay about 4% of each transaction as a fee to the bank.

I've sometimes seen rubbish dumped on towpaths which looked likely to have come from a boat, and I think there's a minority everywhere who just dump stuff because they have no conscience and won't respond to any amount of campaigning. A combination of measures is the answer as I see it:

Education in the schools for the long term.

All councils obliged by central government to make it easy to dispose of unwanted rubbish properly at no charge, part of the cost being saved back by having less dumped rubbish to clean up off the streets. Croydon's tips make it fairly easy and they will collect furniture etc. for a small charge, but still people dump stuff and they're fighting a losing battle in my area on this. I think a particular problem is that they're not obliged to clear rubbish dumped on private land, even where it was obviously put there by a third party.

Increase enforcement of laws against fly tipping, and allow and carry out entrapment operations against the man and van cowboys who will pick up a load of rubbish for a cash payment then dump it a few streets away.

Tax the consumption of raw materials to indirectly encourage people to repair things, using them longer and reducing the environmental impact. This might be tricky to implement because it could be seen as protectionism so probably depends on international trade agreements. For example if Britain remains in the European single market it might require Europe-wide agreement, if not the UK could perhaps do it unilaterally, but there are still World Trade Organisation rules.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I am also very very certain most of it is deposited by folks who wouldn't let the dogs doo in their manicured gardens when the towpath is only a short drive away. 

What I got from that was that you believe that posh people, with manicured lawns, have so much control over their dogs that they can stop them pre poo, pop them in the car, drive them to the canal, and let them do their business.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

What I got from that was that you believe that posh people, with manicured lawns, have so much control over their dogs that they can stop them pre poo, pop them in the car, drive them to the canal, and let them do their business.

Yeah, impractical that. Better to bag it up over several days so as to have enough to decorate several trees.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately there will always be the selfish ones who just dump their rubbish anywhere and no amount of campaign or education will change that. Set up cameras and remove the boat, car, van etc and sell or crush it. They may get the message.

On my way to Birmingham on the A38 there has been fly tipping lately which I find shocking. A lot of it looks like building/renovation waste. Most owners can take to the tip for free or if I'm renovating a bathroom etc I get the client to buy a small skip for £100.

On another note I would love a Labrador or golden retriever and I would get plenty of exercise with walks and never have cold hands with the poo bags!!

As I work it can't happen as some days out all day. One day though I will, if circumstances change. 

James:cheers:

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

Education in the schools for the long term.

not a chance in the present day namby-pamby society.......   

meeting a school charity ramble while walking the dogs I asked a little scrote to get into the shallow stream and pick up the water bottle he had just thrown in.  I mentioned this to a couple of teachers supervising the ramble, and asked if they give a briefing to the kids on environmental issues before setting out (as a boss would be obliged to do with a gang of workers) and if they knew the Countryside Code.  They didn't have a clue what I was talking about but reassured me: 'Oh, don't worry, we follow them and pick up all the litter they throw down'. :banghead:

what chance do we have if the educators are so ill-educated?

9 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I agree with the main thrust of your post, but it's worth knowing that Burton, Poynton and Middlewich tips all allow walk in without checking your status. They are all within walking distance of the cut. As has been said, it's not the local authority that's to blame, all these places are outsourced now to private contractors.

We moored in Stone last week and when walking the dogs I found several big recycling bins just over the hedge from the visitor moorings below the lock at the Star. They were sort of behind/beside a building but there was nothing to say they were for the sole use of the occupants of that building. A useful facility to know about, I thought.

Haggis

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

We moored in Stone last week and when walking the dogs I found several big recycling bins just over the hedge from the visitor moorings below the lock at the Star. They were sort of behind/beside a building but there was nothing to say they were for the sole use of the occupants of that building. A useful facility to know about, I thought.

Haggis

I've had that problem as well. I had been walking four dogs on a footpath and attempted to dispose of some bags in a poo bin in Leek Wooton, Warwickshire. A very officious lady told me that the poo bins were for residents use only. I told the lady that, in Kenilworth, we were lucky enough to have inside toilets connected to main drainage. I offered her some bags to be going on with ...

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

.......................  it's not the local authority that's to blame, all these places are outsourced now to private contractors.

That's as maybe, however the local authorities are the ones that contract out and decide who gets the job. They decide what the KPIs are and the service level agreement the contractor must adhere to.

The contractors aren't allowed to make up their own measures or decide how they're going to do the job. The local council delegate the authority to them to do the job, but they can't delegate the responsibility.

more people leave the dog crap then get it up ..i could use a stronger word for it but it really does pee me off .excuse me i said you dog as just made a mess are you not going to get it up ...my dog did not do that ...no point in trying to argue about this ...they carried on walking ...on there way back .5 yards in front of there dog ..fido stooped again ..right in front of me and others ..hey is this your dog ..they  seen for themselfs  fido in motion ..waited for him to finish ..called him and walked off ...rather not say what happened next ..just to say mr  sorted it total morons and there are so many like that ...apply.s to more boaters then you think too

2 hours ago, haza said:

more people leave the dog crap then get it up ..i could use a stronger word for it but it really does pee me off .excuse me i said you dog as just made a mess are you not going to get it up ...my dog did not do that ...no point in trying to argue about this ...they carried on walking ...on there way back .5 yards in front of there dog ..fido stooped again ..right in front of me and others ..hey is this your dog ..they  seen for themselfs  fido in motion ..waited for him to finish ..called him and walked off ...rather not say what happened next ..just to say mr  sorted it total morons and there are so many like that ...apply.s to more boaters then you think too

I agree. Its not Fidos problem,  its the doglovers thoughtlessness. As the human population expands so does the population of dogs in same ratio. Dread to think how a boat owner lives aboard with two or more big dogs, but i dont suppose they smell it, (the dogs i mean) .  If dogs are so bloody clever why dont they use big dog litters like cats do, doo di doodoo ? Anyway each to his own, but i,ll guarantee anybody stepping off their boat on to the towpath with their centre rope firm in hand and stepping in a load of Fidos recently processed meat n biscuits is going to say "shit !"   Or worse !   Dogs are animals, some owners are worse.