Boaters please dispose of your rubbish

the barnacle

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes and statisticaly probably a hobby boater that actualy lives in a house!! 

To what statistics do you refer? 

I think it is more likely a full time live aboard boater as they are in the majority of people aboard their boats at this time of year.

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I think it is more likely a full time live aboard boater as they are in the majority of people aboard their boats at this time of year.

I hadn't realised the rubbish had been deposited this week? If you know this then was it you who deposited it? ;)

Could get worse, (flytipping,) now that China is refusing to take our waste plastic. What are we gonna do about it? Got to stop it at source or sell the idea that refusing the packaging is good for all. Tax on consumption maybe instead of tax on production? Any thoughts on  this?

4 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Could get worse, (flytipping,) now that China is refusing to take our waste plastic. What are we gonna do about it? Got to stop it at source or sell the idea that refusing the packaging is good for all. Tax on consumption maybe instead of tax on production? Any thoughts on  this?

Not just China - now most recycling centres are charging for some kinds of waste to be dumped it'll all go on the roadside or towpath.  It's back to outsourcing - they're no longer a service to the community but a commercial enterprise.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, markeymark said:

There was a good post on here a couple of weeks ago from whom I cannot recall but they stated that unwrapping goods and leaving the wrapping in the supermarket was a good idea and would possibly wake the super stores up to addressing the nonsense packaging we know have. I am all for it and though I understand some people may be of a disposition that makes them worried about the idea I reckon most of us if we all started doing it now would be enough to have something done about silly packaging very quickly.

Yes, I did that years ago...leaving the packaging at the check-out but could not find a critical mass to do likewise.people called me 'radical' (and worse!)

How do we create a critical mass? do we have to wait until we are drowning in waste?

I was thinking of using my boat to highlight the issue this summer and have approached an environmental pressure group to see if they would like to help me. I have a tug deck now so I could put a pop-up tent on it and show films about the global problem ...and solutions. That is why I was looking for satirists and puppeteers to help me (in another blog) to make the campaign fun and not too serious.

5 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Really?  and your evidence for making that suggestion is...?

Just a wild guess realy but I havnt googled to check but think there are probably more hobby boats than liveaboards in the uk? I am wintering in a marina at present and out of the 300 boats here well over ninety percent of them never get visited at present so I don't think they are lived on?

I don't see why the CRT spend £10M on cutting verges etc but almost nothing on litter removal, is this not part of their remit?

As to grass cutting, well is that essential, or even good for the wildlife? Relying on volunteers for litterpicking [which is not free anyway] is wrong, they should be used for "extras" not the basics.

Does the CRT have a reporting system [easy to access and reactive] if not, they are obviously not wanting to accept their responsibilities, whch is the nature of most businesses these days.

Edited by LadyG

I apologise as I never thought of fishermen now you mention it the stretch with a lot of random litter is a pegged fishing area, I am sorry I mentioned the litter I agree I never saw one area that was for waste, perhaps cart could set more mid countryside waste bins, 

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I regularly use four different ones around the country and they all vary.  Some of them want evidence you pay council tax in that area, some want to inspect everything you have in case it's business related.  There are more reasons to reject your rubbish by them than your good intentions to dispose of it with unblemished conscience. Coventry has a barrier so low that you'd not get a car under with a roof rack, vans are prohibited.

I agree with the main thrust of your post, but it's worth knowing that Burton, Poynton and Middlewich tips all allow walk in without checking your status. They are all within walking distance of the cut. As has been said, it's not the local authority that's to blame, all these places are outsourced now to private contractors.

12 minutes ago, the barnacle said:

I apologise as I never thought of fishermen now you mention it the stretch with a lot of random litter is a pegged fishing area, I am sorry I mentioned the litter I agree I never saw one area that was for waste, perhaps cart could set more mid countryside waste bins, 

Don't apologise, you're right to draw attention to the problem. Whilst it's true that anglers are often to blame for low level littering, stuff in black plastic sacks is probably either dumped by boaters or else deliberately fly tipped if the site is within reach of a bridge.

It's worth emailing the photo to the relevant CRT office.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I agree 100%, where we moor in west London there have been many instances of boat related fly tipping that were carried out by liveaboards. The council has been removing bins in the vicinity of the canal, due to the abuse by boaters surrounding them with black bags, broken components, etc. The purpose of these bins being for passing pedestrians discarding empty crisp packets and the like. The towpath is regularly furnished with ex bulkheads and similar boat related items, undeniably left by some boat dwellers. My feeling is that some dumping is down to the naturally lazy and thoughtless that you encounter in any walk of life but much is the result of people more used to opening their front door and leaving all their unwanted stuff, only for it to magically disappear with no effort involved. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I hadn't realised the rubbish had been deposited this week? If you know this then was it you who deposited it? ;)

The photograph is taken in the winter - no leaves on the trees . Girl wearing winter coat and boots. I  assume it's a recent photograph  . Some of the carrier bags look clean on the outside so suggest recently dumped . However  other stuff underneath may well have been there some time.

44 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

I agree with the main thrust of your post, but it's worth knowing that Burton, Poynton and Middlewich tips all allow walk in without checking your status. They are all within walking distance of the cut.

You could probably get a well-aimed bag straight into the skips at Middlewich without setting foot off the boat!

1 hour ago, the barnacle said:

There was recently a report that C&RT were removing litter bins as it just encouraged folks to use them instead of taking the litter home.

It was discussed on here.

C&RT do not directly employ 'bin-men' and I imagine that trying to get a Biffa Truck down the tow path would not be practical, neither would a bin-man alking several miles to a bin, bringing it back to the truck, emptying it, walking back to its original location then walking back to the bin-lorry

3 hours ago, markeymark said:

Not sure using prisoners to clean up is the answer, after all they dont make the waste. It is the supermarkets and packaging industry who control our purchasing decisions who are responsible, but unfortunately there are few alternatives available as all out products are overpackaged and so create rubbish. We live in a disfunctional consumerist system whereby the companies that sell us their goods dont actually clean up the mess they created.

when have you ever seen an oil executive doing a beach clean?

Very true, besides the prisoners are too busy keeping jails like Liverpool clean, so that HM Inspector of Prisons doesn't have to complain that the poor dears are being kept in dirty cells!

George

Our local council changed its waste disposal site policies last year, using the excuse that too many were disposing of trade waste without paying for the appropriate permit.

Now all vehicles must be registered. Vans, trailers & certain sizes of 4x4 are limited to 12 visits per year, some sizes of vehicle or trailer are banned altogether. Bulky waste such as washing machines, sofas etc. used to be collected within 3 weeks if you gave them a ring and cost nowt, now they want £35 per item. The skips they used to have at the disposal sites for broken tiles, rubble, plasterboard are now gone as this is classed as commercial waste and is banned.

And the upshot of all this? Flytipping has rocketed and so has the amount of man-with-a-van cheap waste removers via facebook.