Boaters please dispose of your rubbish

the barnacle

Featured Posts

I had to post this, I walk the s & W regular but it’s becoming a tip, boaters yes it must be boaters are dumping waste and rubbish everywhere, it’s in remote areas so must be off the narrowboats, such a shame to see the towpath and ditches used as a dump, 

59F1C431-807F-407D-8D8B-E227C16B0FF7.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Please don't tar us all witht he same brush.

I would say that this rubbish was dumped by one person who may, or may not, be a boater.

(And yes, whoever they are deserves to be strung up by their earlobes!)

Yes and statisticaly probably a hobby boater that actualy lives in a house!! Love the dog buts its a bit uncanny so just took a foto of our girl and even though the picture is darker she is exactly like the one in the OP.

WP_20180204_08_39_41_Pro.jpg

Edited by mrsmelly

Is that a fry bentos pie tin? Years since I've had one of those. 

More than likely a boater who had been moored for quite a long time without moving. Although possible not the sane person as some of that gash looks older the the bits at the front. The sad thing is, is that someone has to clear that, and it won't be Biffa Waste. "Not in the spec Mate". More than likely in the middle of nowhere.

41 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Please don't tar us all witht he same brush.

I would say that this rubbish was dumped by one person who may, or may not, be a boater.

(And yes, whoever they are deserves to be strung up by their earlobes!)

Sorry I wasn’t taking everyone with the same brush but I’ve noticed an increase in litter along the towpath and in Ditches including a kitchen that’s been ripped out of a boat and piles of broken slabs removed from ballast please don’t think this is aimed at responsible boaters but one day boaters and hobby boaters also read these forums, perhaps admin can remove this thread and we can all go back to believing littering unnecessary doesn’t exist, it saddened my heart to see the mess along a stretch that was last year a lovely place to walk. 

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes and statisticaly probably a hobby boater that actualy lives in a house!! Love the dog buts its a bit uncanny so just took a foto of our girl and even though the picture is darker she is exactly like the one in the OP.

WP_20180204_08_39_41_Pro.jpg

Wow fox red lab don’t you just love them such a good nature

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, the barnacle said:

Sorry I wasn’t taking everyone with the same brush but I’ve noticed an increase in litter along the towpath and in Ditches including a kitchen that’s been ripped out of a boat and piles of broken slabs removed from ballast please don’t think this is aimed at responsible boaters but one day boaters and hobby boaters also read these forums, perhaps admin can remove this thread and we can all go back to believing littering unnecessary doesn’t exist, it saddened my heart to see the mess along a stretch that was last year a lovely place to walk. 

Fair play. Maffi who no longer posts here spends much of his cruising time collecting litter along the system and I think lots of us ( we do ) pick stuff up when possible. At this time of year more is visible than in the summer when vegetation in ditches and hedges covers it up. I often think the same when I go into towns around the country as there are piles of rubbish and fly tipping in most locals, bloomin scumbags.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Fair play. Maffi who no longer posts here spends much of his cruising time collecting litter along the system and I think lots of us ( we do ) pick stuff up when possible. At this time of year more is visible than in the summer when vegetation in ditches and hedges covers it up. I often think the same when I go into towns around the country as there are piles of rubbish and fly tipping in most locals, bloomin scumbags.

It’s not just the canal our road verges are worse, in my opinion prisoners should be put to work cleaning it up

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, the barnacle said:

Look I’m sorry for pointing the littering out especially to those who are part of the 99.9% great boaters I meet but if it just makes one person re think when dusguarding the pop bottle it will be worth the abuse I’m likely to get, 

Its not abuse its BANTER :D Yes shes a Fox Lab and an absolute sweetheart complete with pink collar :)

6 minutes ago, the barnacle said:

It’s not just the canal our road verges are worse, in my opinion prisoners should be put to work cleaning it up

Good grief but what about the poor saps " Human rights " :o

Well said, its probably a minority who dump rubbish. Having said that I notice very little if any recycling facilities on the cut and so all the rubbish goes in the same place. I think that Recycling is a bit of a scam...its market driven and not the solution but better than nothing. Still, I noticed so much waste IN the cut when I was out and about last year, and spent too much time sorting out my prop with all those plastics wrapped around it.

Just now, NB Lola said:

Whoever does is is unlikely to stop, whether they be hobby boaters, liveaboards, or just towpath visitors.  Labelling won’t solve the problem, a nice few pictures of the miscreants is a much better idea.

38EDCBE2-0C54-4A5B-B081-B960337039A9.jpeg

You’ve stole my girl 

54ADCAB1-4B86-4EB1-8022-72EA3D7E7648.jpeg

1 minute ago, the barnacle said:

You’ve stole my girl 

54ADCAB1-4B86-4EB1-8022-72EA3D7E7648.jpeg

2CFDF5FA-840C-42C1-A83E-BDDC0E4C7CF7.jpeg

43F172F4-A6B8-4A22-A6F2-1F7E083D244C.jpeg

6 minutes ago, markeymark said:

Well said, its probably a minority who dump rubbish. Having said that I notice very little if any recycling facilities on the cut and so all the rubbish goes in the same place. I think that Recycling is a bit of a scam...its market driven and not the solution but better than nothing. Still, I noticed so much waste IN the cut when I was out and about last year, and spent too much time sorting out my prop with all those plastics wrapped around it.

When I was a kid we used paper bags, not plastic and we all did recycling. We took pop bottles across the road to the village pub etc etc who gave us money for them. People used push mowers for their lawns thus having exercise . Perhaps some youngsters in council offices will introduce new ideas one day and call it recycling? may be we will begin using less plastic bags and go to using the new-fangled paper ones

Not sure using prisoners to clean up is the answer, after all they dont make the waste. It is the supermarkets and packaging industry who control our purchasing decisions who are responsible, but unfortunately there are few alternatives available as all out products are overpackaged and so create rubbish. We live in a disfunctional consumerist system whereby the companies that sell us their goods dont actually clean up the mess they created.

when have you ever seen an oil executive doing a beach clean?

The problem is that boaters will get tarred with the same brush in exactly the same way that all cyclists are bad in some boaters eyes and all fishermen are bad in some boaters eyes. Boaters DO leave crap on the towpaths as do other users and the bottom line is that we, as canal users, should do our utmost to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Barnarcle is doing his bit by highlighting this on this forum and I do realise that in all the communities that use the canals there are an uncaring, selfish and sometimes, a violent section of boaters, cyclists, fishermen and walkers. So it does pay to be very careful when tackling these things. All people can do really is report it on forums such as this and hope that the good guys will take it on board and help to keep the canals clean and tidy and add to the enjoyment of others. There are voluntary tow path clean ups that are organised by the Canal and River Trust and these could be extended.

Anyway good on you barnacle for pointing this out. 

• Greenie 2