Any recommendations for bilge paint?

Mikexx

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If he rigged up 24 hour heating with a tarp or similar making a tent then the fastest would be 6 days. I day to clean it out and prep. 1 day for Vactan, two days for two coats of primer, two days for two top coats. Plus a day each side for engine out and back in. 

So 8 dry and warm days. 

This would be done over a period of time, nevertheless temperature and condensation are a concern. Things start warming up in March. A heater in the bilge area might be an idea so there is no condensation on fresh paint. I think the hatch(es) will be sufficient to keep the heat in.

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't see how the OP is going to stop condensation on each step at this time of year. I also suspect it will take ages for the paint to "go off" is such cold damp conditions. I suspect three weeks rather than three days. I would wait until well after Easter.

Speaking from first hand experience, it takes ages for paint to go off if painting the baseplate at low temperatures, and messing about with hair driers or whatever does not help at all, hair drier vs 10mm of steel sat in tons of cold water, hair drier does not win!

....................Dave

Just remembered I think the OP did say the boat was to be out of the water, that will help although a wind will still help draw heat from the steel. AS finish is not vital I would not woory about condensation on wet pain but I would worry about condensation under the paint film.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Speaking from first hand experience, it takes ages for paint to go off if painting the baseplate at low temperatures, and messing about with hair driers or whatever does not help at all, hair drier vs 10mm of steel sat in tons of cold water, hair drier does not win!

....................Dave

Me too, I would never try at this time of year. You can even get condensation from breathing while painting.

Edited by Tony Brooks

• 2 months later...