Starting Problems

Featured Posts

Dear fellow boaters,

I am fairly new to this forum and hope you can help me with your knowledge.

Recently my oil feed pipe leaked so I dismantled it, sent it to the RN Diesel Engine Company who kindly fixed it and put it all back together yesterday. 

When I am turning the ignition it starts up running but as soon as I close the top and let geo of the key, the engine stops.

I have bleed the fuel pipe at the diesel filter and the piston, so do not assume the problem is there (or is it?).

What I have noticed though is the oil pressure is not going higher than 20 lb/inch while in ignition but I used to go way higher,

Could this mean there is still air in the oil pipes? If so, how would I fix this? I have not seen any possibility to drain it.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Max of Baildon

Do you mean the decompressor?  You don't need to touch this.  Leave it in the running position.  20psi oil pressure is OK.  Can you try the extra fuel?  Lift the brass flap on the fuel rod and make sure the rod is free to move.  It's normal to oil this daily.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like its not starting at all and is merely turning over on the starter motor when decompressed. You should be able to turn the engine over with the decompression lever in the running position, and the engine should then start. If you have had the fuel system apart I would suspect that you haven't bled the system properly and have air in it. Presuming you have a DM2 engine, any decent diesel engineer should be able to show you how to bleed the system using the lift pump and that should allow you to prove the fuel system is working properly.

Edited to add post how you get on

Edited by captain birdseye