What's this wood effect sheet called?

Mikexx

Featured Posts

Sorry but no photo, but hopefully my description will be suffient.

I have a ceiling made up of sheets that are a nominal 8ft x 2ft x ~4mm. Some have been cut down to slightly shorter length and made to fit around cupboards etc.

It has one side that has a wood effect finish and looks much like laminate flooring, except it's a single and possibly a thinner sheet that is much larger.

What is this kind of sheet called, and any ideas where I can get this from? I've tried a local Wickes and B&Q to no avail.

Any ideas?

5 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Would that be lite ply as used in the making of furniture in camper vans

Thanks.

This has a finished surface, and is 'moulded' as in grooves to mimic smaller panels interlocking cladding or similar.

I can get thin ply, say 6mm or so, but that's not like the sheets I'm trying to replace.

54 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

They mention moisture resistant MDF in quite a few of their products. I’d be looking for some kind of marine plywood veneer?

A boat really shouldn’t be wet enough to damage moisture resistant MDF, particularly on the ceiling. 

7 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

These guys may be able to help?

http://www.panelmaster.co.uk/panel_prices.htm

Many thanks for the link.

I require 3 sheets of 8ft x 4ft, or 6 sheets of 8ft x 2 ft.  The economics of shipping this sort of sheet from Yorkshire to Worcestershire is questionable.

I found the link very difficult to navigate and it's not obvious if they hold stock themselves, their price list is very limited. Their panels seem to be more 9mm too.

I need to measure the thickness of my panelling, as near straight swap would be great but I'm resigning myself to the possibility this isn't going to be the case.

I can find lots of shower and other panels online, but not ones like these. Perhaps trends have changed such there is no longer any demand for this type of thing?

I used to drive for these guys. Industrial engineering Plastics. Apart from manufacturing they soldundreds of plastic sheeting. Might be worth a try. They have a branch in Birmingham. I was based in Hampshire and delivered everywhere, I mean everywhere. Norwich,Plymouth,Edinburgh and Margate.

www.iep.co.uk I think is the address.

Edited by Nightwatch

10 hours ago, Mikexx said:

Thanks.

This has a finished surface, and is 'moulded' as in grooves to mimic smaller panels interlocking cladding or similar.

I can get thin ply, say 6mm or so, but that's not like the sheets I'm trying to replace.

Wickes do what I think is very similar in MDF but it's a painted finish. If I've understood right, Search 'beadboard'.  

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I used to drive for these guys. Industrial engineering Plastics. Apart from manufacturing they soldundreds of plastic sheeting. Might be worth a try. They have a branch in Birmingham. I was based in Hampshire and delivered everywhere, I mean everywhere. Norwich,Plymouth,Edinburgh and Margate.

www.iep.co.uk I think is the address.

Many thabks, I found http://iep-ltd.co.uk/

I don't think they do anything I would want, they seem to be concentrating on industrial markets.

23 minutes ago, twbm said:

Wickes do what I think is very similar in MDF but it's a painted finish. If I've understood right, Search 'beadboard'.  

Many thanks, the only beadboard I can find is a wallpaper to mimic the panels by B&Q and Homebase.

2 hours ago, Mikexx said:

Many thabks, I found http://iep-ltd.co.uk/

I don't think they do anything I would want, they seem to be concentrating on industrial markets.

Worth a try Mike. I used to deliver single sheets. The majority of the business is indeed big industrial stuff but they sold to individuals as well. Well they USED to. The original owner of 25 years sold the business, a lot of money involved, so it may have changed course a little.

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

A boat really shouldn’t be wet enough to damage moisture resistant MDF, particularly on the ceiling. 

I agree with respect to “damp”, but there is a leak via the chimney, or mushrooms, I’m guessing there is an opportunity for it to soak it up and crumble.... whereas ply is much more durable when leaked on.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I agree with respect to “damp”, but there is a leak via the chimney, or mushrooms, I’m guessing there is an opportunity for it to soak it up and crumble.... whereas ply is much more durable when leaked on.

I can't help thinking you might be looking at this from the wrong angle.

Before anything else the leaks must be sorted?  If not whatever cladding you use will 'get got' and other stuff that can't be seen will be quietly rotting away.

If this is a 'tart it up and knock it out' project then OK but to last treat the problem and the symptoms won't recur.

1 hour ago, Taslim said:

I can't help thinking you might be looking at this from the wrong angle.

Before anything else the leaks must be sorted?  If not whatever cladding you use will 'get got' and other stuff that can't be seen will be quietly rotting away.

If this is a 'tart it up and knock it out' project then OK but to last treat the problem and the symptoms won't recur.

Its not me that's asking the question or doing the job :) Pretty sure my panelling is all veneered plywood.

There probably are no leaks at the moment, but there may be, or probably will be, in the future. In my experience, by the time you realize you have a leak, water has been hanging around for a while, and seeping through, to the point where you see a bit of a damp patch, rather than a drip. I dont like the idea of MDF in these circumstances - as I said, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that MDF is a pile of sawdust, mixed with some glue, and compressed into a sheet of wood. My experience is with its' use in houses/flats where I have seen damp plywood dry out and become "almost" as good as new, and I have seen damp MDF crumble into uselessness - particularly in kitchens and bathrooms.

At one time you could get horrible 8 x 4 sheets of thin gash ply with grooves routed into it and stained dark. The bits between the boards were laminated to look like supposed wood. I used it for the panel in a sliding wardrobe door but it was such horrible stuff I would steer well clear these days.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Its not me that's asking the question or doing the job :) Pretty sure my panelling is all veneered plywood.

There probably are no leaks at the moment, but there may be, or probably will be, in the future. In my experience, by the time you realize you have a leak, water has been hanging around for a while, and seeping through, to the point where you see a bit of a damp patch, rather than a drip. I dont like the idea of MDF in these circumstances - as I said, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that MDF is a pile of sawdust, mixed with some glue, and compressed into a sheet of wood. My experience is with its' use in houses/flats where I have seen damp plywood dry out and become "almost" as good as new, and I have seen damp MDF crumble into uselessness - particularly in kitchens and bathrooms.

OK.  I miss read your post, I guess.

You'r right about MDF though the right grade it the right place it a cheap and useful material.

Quality plywood will dry out and the stains can be buffed up but the damage is already done.

7 hours ago, twbm said:

Many thanks. I was using the wrong search terms.

This is 6mm thick and needs painting. It also only comes in 1220mm lengths which would need additional 'covering' up of joins. It is certainly an idea.

I've had another at my ceiling and it a finished 3mm plywood. I can see top and bottom grain directions are different to the centre.

2 hours ago, Mikexx said:

I've had another at my ceiling and it a finished 3mm plywood. I can see top and bottom grain directions are different to the centre.

As has already been posted (by Tony B?), this was a popular product in the 70’s when retro matchboarding became popular. I believe it’s been discontinued for many years now. I certainly haven’t seen it around for a long time.