Canal du Midi

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

We are considering a weeks family holiday on the Canal du Midi in April. There will be six or seven of us. I'm looking for recommendations of Hire companies, start points, best way to get there, and any do's and dont's. My wife and I  have visited Carcassonne before, and we'd like to take the rest of the family this time. Thanks , in advance, for any information.

Edited by monkeyhanger
missed letter

We hired from Minervois cruisers quite a few years ago and while we enjoyed the trip, the boat (a narrowboat, a bit out of place on the Canal du Midi) was a bit of an old tub, but I suppose they have newer boats now.

As for Carcassonne, well it's very touristy, Disneyfied even - TBH I preferred the 'real' town at the bottom of the hill.  We stayed at Cordes, a similar fortified hilltop town, on the way back - actually lived in and much better.

We did Homps to Castlenaudary a couple of years ago on a very leisurely trip with plenty of time in Carcassonne. We used LeBoat and an 8 berth plastic palace, which had plenty of room for 5 of us. A couple of bikes were useful. Fly to Carcassonne, taxi or bus to Homps, train from Castlenaudary back to Carcassonne. Local bus for transfers to/from Airport/Carcassonne. Very enjoyable.

12 hours ago, Bee said:

If you like cheese on toast then take your own cheddar, French cheese mostly doesn't work. Oh, and tea.

A good number of French Super Markets carry & English section & many carry several brands of Brit cheese & PG/Tetley tea & tea bags Lagouile  & Cantal 45% cheese is also pretty near to Chedder+ there are a good few with Chedder consistency but a different taste There used to be a good hire base at Trebes

The airline which uses Carcassonne is Ryanair, so good value usually.   We have hired locally from Les Canalous

http://www.houseboat-hire.com/

They have a main base at Homps but also a few boats near the station in Carcassonne.   Some of their boats are older and very good value just for two of us but they also have more de luxe boats.

Maybe the most suitable boats for the canal are the Penichettes from Locaboat at Argens Minervois.

http://www.locaboat.com/en/

Edited by JamesFrance
typo