Vicrton Phoenix MultiPlus compact Problem

Simon D

Featured Posts

An electronics shop should be able to repair the pcb, its probably only the electrolytic capacitors that have dried out with the heat. The pcbs in washing machines, boilers etc can all be repaired at a much lower cost than buying a new one. Even ecu computers in cars can be fixed.

Manufacturers who say that parts are not available after 11 years without offering a realistic alternative, i.e. repair, annoy me, and possibly you too. Hate this throwaway society, if it was in the Far East there would be loads of places that can fix anything.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

An electronics shop should be able to repair the pcb, its probably only the electrolytic capacitors that have dried out with the heat. The pcbs in washing machines, boilers etc can all be repaired at a much lower cost than buying a new one. Even ecu computers in cars can be fixed.

Manufacturers who say that parts are not available after 11 years without offering a realistic alternative, i.e. repair, annoy me, and possibly you too. Hate this throwaway society, if it was in the Far East there would be loads of places that can fix anything.

Thanks Sam, I suspect you are right. If I had no option but to use a multi-plus I would probably go down this route.

But having lived with the multi-plus for a number of years (and in particular having repeatedly struggled to get non-techies on the boat to understand it and operate it when I have been hundreds of miles away on the end of a mobile phone) I am sorely tempted to use this as a chance to swap out the unit and fit something simpler that I ( as a simple mechanical engineer, not electrical) can operate and maintain and explain.

K.I.S.S.

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We used to have a mooring that was 4 amps, but that was a long, long time ago.

These days, I don't remember coming across one less than 16 amps (I am sure they are out there) but with todays expectations I doubt there are many.

Strawberry Island Boat Club? 

• 1 month later...

Final Question (hopefully). I am thinking about the Victron IP22 to replace a failed Phoenix multi charge unit.

There are lots of good things about the IP22 (including the price), and it has some good reviews here and elsewhere, but one thing that worries me is that the temperature sensor is inside the unit, not local to the batteries. On my boat the batteries are in a cruiser stern, and the charger in a cupboard inside the boat, close to the domestic hot water tank, so the charger temperature will always be much higher than the battery temperature.

How much of an issue is that likely to be? I wouldn't mind if all that happens is a slower time to full charge, but I would be concerned if the temperature control algorithms risked damaging the batteries in the long term. I am going for a 20 or 30A charger on 4 X 110 ah batteries so guess I am unlikely to overheat the batteries.

Thanks for any advice or experience.

2 hours ago, Simon D said:

Final Question (hopefully). I am thinking about the Victron IP22 to replace a failed Phoenix multi charge unit.

There are lots of good things about the IP22 (including the price), and it has some good reviews here and elsewhere, but one thing that worries me is that the temperature sensor is inside the unit, not local to the batteries. On my boat the batteries are in a cruiser stern, and the charger in a cupboard inside the boat, close to the domestic hot water tank, so the charger temperature will always be much higher than the battery temperature.

How much of an issue is that likely to be? I wouldn't mind if all that happens is a slower time to full charge, but I would be concerned if the temperature control algorithms risked damaging the batteries in the long term. I am going for a 20 or 30A charger on 4 X 110 ah batteries so guess I am unlikely to overheat the batteries.

Thanks for any advice or experience.

Lead acid batteries need the charge voltage lowered at higher temperatures and raised at lower temperatures.

The attached chart shows the amount required for various voltage batteries.

However if your boat is left unused on a landline, then the ambient temperature will level out at various heights, for example the temperature at the waterline will be the same along the length of the boat. Are your batteries and their charger at the same height?

Obviously this will not be the case if the boat is heated though.

2_SP3_1_pg14_QA-1.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

Thanks for the chart - very useful

When on float/maintenance parked alongside in the winter, it is entirely possible that the charger unit will be in a cupboard next to the hot water tank, and be at about 30C, with the batteries outside at close to zero, that's half a volt difference by your chart. So am i right in thinking that the charger would run all it's battery maintenance algorithms half a volt too low, which might not be good news for battery life long term.

I wonder if I may need to spend a bit more money on a charger with a remote temperature sensor?

Or have those people who have used the IP22 found it to not be a problem?

Edited by Simon D

49 minutes ago, Simon D said:

Thanks for the chart - very useful

When on float/maintenance parked alongside in the winter, it is entirely possible that the charger unit will be in a cupboard next to the hot water tank, and be at about 30C, with the batteries outside at close to zero, that's half a volt difference by your chart. So am i right in thinking that the charger would run all it's battery maintenance algorithms half a volt too low, which might not be good news for battery life long term.

I wonder if I may need to spend a bit more money on a charger with a remote temperature sensor?

Or have those people who have used the IP22 found it to not be a problem?

Yes the battery will not quite get fully charged during the winter and might begin to sulphate. However, as the charger will get the battery almost fully charged, I don't think that the sulphation would harden to the point of being irreversible, so a good equalisation charge in the spring would probably restore the majority of the lost capacity.