Carbon Monoxide Alarm Petition

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

The people that don't have one now wont bother to check or change batteries if the become mandatory so there will only be a short term gain of maybe 5 years until the units start failing. By theyn they will have stopped maintaining the fire if they do now because they have a CO alarm.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I agree - but I really think the chance of getting 10,000 'votes' is unlikely and as to getting 100,000 !!!

It would be simpler for the BSS to make it compulsory in their next 'up-date / re-write'.

Thanks to Naughty Cal for posting.

I agree with Alan.......just put it in the BSS a compulsory. Simple.

BSS now going up in price £7 or 7% ? before adding vat to it The BSS has lost its way it should be a simple test of anything that puts boat or boater at risk, So Gas and Co are right up there.

23 minutes ago, b0atman said:

BSS now going up in price £7 or 7% ? before adding vat to it The BSS has lost its way it should be a simple test of anything that puts boat or boater at risk, So Gas and Co are right up there.

The BSS actually costs £36 ( the rest that we pay is whatever the surveyor wants to charge us for his time) so the increase is £7 in £36. (about 20%)

The BSS was (is) never intended to be a test of what 'puts the boater at risk' - their 'mission statement' is :

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

(Not the actual boater who causes the fire, explosion or pollution, hence things like ventilation and Co being only advisory as they only affect the 'boater' and no one outside of the boat).

And, later - "The Purpose of the BSS"

The BSS is in place to help minimise the risks to all visitors to the waterways and the waterways' workforce, and to help protect adjacent property, related to the condition, equipment and use of boats. The BSS is also used to minimise the risk of avoidable pollution from boats.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference.   People are dumb, they will just borrow someone else's CO alarm for the BSS test even though its a £20 device that will save your life if the unfortunate happened.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The people that don't have one now wont bother to check or change batteries if the become mandatory so there will only be a short term gain of maybe 5 years until the units start failing. By theyn they will have stopped maintaining the fire if they do now because they have a CO alarm.

I believe both goes in hand, the people who don't maintain their stove more than likely are the ones not to have a CO alarm, the people who do maintain their stove do have a alarm!

The whole BSS thing is an expensive (to us anyway) shambles. Do we really want yet more regulating? The BSS changes the rules all the time - some things that were essential as they were so life-threatening a few years back now seem not to be so any more, in the meantime it all cost us pointless time & money to try and keep up with whatever our current examiner's latest bugbear happens to be.

• Greenie 1

The only way to do this would be via an amendment to the RCD. Otherwise UK requirements for new boats would be more stringent than the rest of the EU- which is not allowed. 

If it were just put into the BSS, apart from being outwith the BSS'S purposes, there would be the ridiculuous situation where a boat with a CE mark (doesn't need a BSC for 4 years) would be licencable withput a CO detector but an older boat would have to have one.

N

28 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The only way to do this would be via an amendment to the RCD. Otherwise UK requirements for new boats would be more stringent than the rest of the EU- which is not allowed. 

If it were just put into the BSS, apart from being outwith the BSS'S purposes, there would be the ridiculuous situation where a boat with a CE mark (doesn't need a BSC for 4 years) would be licencable withput a CO detector but an older boat would have to have one.

N

What does the RCD say about sun through Bulls Eyes, there have been lots of cases of boats 4 years old that are CE marked that fail their first BSS examination, not so many now as it seams lots of builders also have the new boat "interdependently" issued with a BSC

If it were only the person responsible for getting their boat through the BSC that was put at risk then I would happy with them deciding not to have one provided they knew the risk.  Those new to stoves on boats need to be made aware.  But family, guests, vistors etc could be put at risk so I think it should be added to the BSC.  But I very much want a CO alarm that can be turned off when I leave the boat.

32 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

If it were only the person responsible for getting their boat through the BSC that was put at risk then I would happy with them deciding not to have one provided they knew the risk.  Those new to stoves on boats need to be made aware.  But family, guests, vistors etc could be put at risk so I think it should be added to the BSC.  But I very much want a CO alarm that can be turned off when I leave the boat.

I just used to take the battery out if I left the boat for a long period.

58 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

The reason I enjoy boating, is the relative freedom it offers from the bottom-wiping dictatorial nanny State.  So I do not welcome yet more regulation telling me what I can and can't do.

For goodness sake, allow people to take responsibility for their own actions (or lack of).

I can quite see why anyone who has lost a loved one to accidental CO poisoning would think more "regulations" would be a "good thing".  But its really not more laws that are needed, but more education in the realities and risks in any human activity.  People must take responsibility for the consequences of their activity, and stop blaming "the System" when it all goes wrong.

The problem is many people are idiots who you have to protect them from themselves for their benefit and others. We have seat belt laws because numpties drive about without them which costs lives and millions of wasted pounds. People still use in their thousands fones whilst driving which again causes loss of life and millions. The list is endless where laws have to be introduced because of the basic fact that Common sense is not very common. Also the poor sods who have to deal with the aftermath such as emergency services need all the help they can get and any law that reduces the stupid killing themselves less often saves emergency services grief and yet more millions. We have virtualy no legislation pertaining to boats at present and the little we do have is not exactly onerous. I have signed the petition but it will make no difference.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

Can we have another one to remove the BSS altogether, and treat us like adults like they do n the sea.

You might have guessed, I will not be signing it, 0r, can everyone who disagrees with it, take one signature away

I suppose you could start a counter petition not to make it a requirement 

17 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Can we have another one to remove the BSS altogether, and treat us like adults like they do n the sea.

Safety at Sea Act 1986

"An Act to promote the safety of fishing and other vessels at sea and the persons in them; and for related purposes. [26th June 1986]"

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows ................

And then :

IMO's (International Maritime Organisation) first task when it came into being in 1959 was to adopt a new version of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), the most important of all treaties dealing with maritime safety.

IMO has also developed and adopted international collision regulations and global standards for seafarers, as well as international conventions and codes relating to search and rescue, the facilitation of international maritime traffic, load lines, the carriage of dangerous goods and tonnage measurement.

The Maritime Safety Committee is IMO's senior technical body on safety-related matters. It is aided in its work by a number of Sub-Committees: 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Safety at Sea Act 1986

"An Act to promote the safety of fishing and other vessels at sea and the persons in them; and for related purposes. [26th June 1986]"

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows ................

And then :

IMO's (International Maritime Organisation) first task when it came into being in 1959 was to adopt a new version of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), the most important of all treaties dealing with maritime safety.

IMO has also developed and adopted international collision regulations and global standards for seafarers, as well as international conventions and codes relating to search and rescue, the facilitation of international maritime traffic, load lines, the carriage of dangerous goods and tonnage measurement.

The Maritime Safety Committee is IMO's senior technical body on safety-related matters. It is aided in its work by a number of Sub-Committees: 

great comparison 

3 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

I do not feel qualified to apply compulsion to adults in matters of their own personal safety.

That is about where I am at now, though I might have felt differently a few years ago.