Dry dock info

Featured Posts

Hi All

we have a 51foot sea otter Our Serendipity we are based at great Haywood marina We want to take her out to check her bum and spruce up her top half 

we have looked at a few  dry docks but most wont let you do DIY and those we found who do want to charge in region of £100 to £150 to get in the dock Then £40 to £45 per day Do any of you kind people know any cheaper ones that aren’t too far away from great Haywood Thank you all in anticipation 

Eileen & Mike 

Hi Eilean & Mike,

Since your post has gone unanswered for a while I'll offer you an opinion til someone with local knowledge comes along. If I remember correctly, I paid about that for a haul out and a week on blocks last August so the price doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me. 

Not convenient for you, but the superb slipway (dry dock) at Aylesbury Canal Society cost £200 for in/out/first day and £50 per additional day for the first week and  £70 per day thereafter. Price includes use of a pressure washer (apart from the electricity used). DIY is the norm and you can stay in the boat in dock. 

Edited by David Mack

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:42, Eileen Welland said:

Hi All

we have a 51foot sea otter Our Serendipity we are based at great Haywood marina We want to take her out to check her bum and spruce up her top half 

we have looked at a few  dry docks but most wont let you do DIY and those we found who do want to charge in region of £100 to £150 to get in the dock Then £40 to £45 per day Do any of you kind people know any cheaper ones that aren’t too far away from great Haywood Thank you all in anticipation 

Eileen & Mike 

Hi

Langley mill top of the Erewash so not far from you. £95 for first day and then £35 per day after that and yes you can DIY.

The prices are set as the 'opportunity cost' of not renting the dock to you.

Dry docks are pretty much in demand and so the owner is potentially turning away a lucrative bit of business by letting you have the dock - he must cover the potential income he could secure from using the dock for some of his 'own work' (maybe overplating, or blacking).

I think you will be lucky to find anywhere below £100 'entry' and £30+ per day.

Sorry I didn’t spot this earlier.

As a fellow Great Haywood moorer I was was under the impression that your mooring fees included the occasional haul out on the slipway. I’m pretty sure you’re within the weight and length limits for the haulout trolly; just a case of packing to accommodate your underwater profile?

your right you can get free lift out once you been there a year We were thinking of having it after april which would be our year So we rang up and asked questions But not that good a deal as charge £48 per day you cant do own work you cant stay on boat So basically its free to get out for them to have your business Found a few cheaper per day not that expensive to lift out can do diy and stay on the boat So really great haywood not that good adeal for moorers

6 minutes ago, Eileen Welland said:

your right you can get free lift out once you been there a year We were thinking of having it after april which would be our year So we rang up and asked questions But not that good a deal as charge £48 per day you cant do own work you cant stay on boat So basically its free to get out for them to have your business Found a few cheaper per day not that expensive to lift out can do diy and stay on the boat So really great haywood not that good adeal for moorers

I have found Canal Cruising Co at Stone to be ok. I’ve not done diy (too lazy) but many do. Many of the diy’ers stay onboard.

Edited by Eeyore

Thanks to all who have responded Got some good help We have searched a few and it would appear that there are a few bit cheaper and some that will allow us to stay on boat whilst we work on it so just now have to decide where when lol

yes eeyore we have looked at them and its possible  just weighing up pros and cons and planning what we need to do lol

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The prices are set as the 'opportunity cost' of not renting the dock to you.

Dry docks are pretty much in demand and so the owner is potentially turning away a lucrative bit of business by letting you have the dock - he must cover the potential income he could secure from using the dock for some of his 'own work' (maybe overplating, or blacking).

I think you will be lucky to find anywhere below £100 'entry' and £30+ per day.

It's not very helpful for the OP due to distance, but Wigan dry dock is a flat rate £200 per week and Ellesmere is £62 in and £49 per day bookable online direct from CRT.

I assume CRT have other dry docks elsewhere, but I don't know where they are or what they cost.

thanks peeps Shame we didn’t think of it last year or known about Wigan As we were stranded in Wigan for 10 days waiting for the Brodgewater to reopen Ha well as my old dad used to say everything happens for a reason Hence our boat name Our Serendipity If it’s to be it will be one day lol 

On 09/02/2018 at 23:32, Eileen Welland said:

....... So basically its free to get out for them to have your business [Found a few cheaper per day not that expensive to lift out can do diy and stay on the boat] So really great haywood not that good a deal for moorers

No surprise there then......................

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Streethay just down from Fradley haul boats out on the slipway and you can do your own blacking and live on board when doing it. No idea of prices but might be cheaper than a dry dock. 

Haggis

They're also used to dealing with "V" bottoms.