Halfords battery.

bizzard

Featured Posts

I bought a Halfords HLB681 115a leasure battery. Its ony been connected for a week. Yesterday I charged it up, to 15.2v until it dropped to 13.6v float. At 5pm I stopped the charge to allow the voltage to drop so I could use the lights and 12v things safely. So I waited and waited in candle and paraffin lamp light. It did drop very very slowly to 13.1v and is still at that 13.1v now. It does drop by the correct amount as I switch certain things on and off and returns to around 13v. Its still showing 13.1v at the moment.  It took a week for it to fall to about 12.4v before I put it on charge yesterday.  How about that for Halfords.  At first I thought it might be a 14v battery with 7 cells, so I counted them over and over again, but no, only 6.

Edited by bizzard

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You're not measuring it with one of MTB's inaccurate smartguages are you...?

I wouldn't buy anything which included SMART in its name.  No a £3 Chinese voltmeter in my lounge, reading confirmed with my multimeter which was even slightly higher directly at the battery.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

How about that for Halfords

These are actually re-badged Yuasa batteries. Have a look at the safety sheet

http://www.my-sds.co.uk/Admin/ViewDocument.aspx?ID=6043406e-8852-4d57-a3cd-c2cc64cac87c&primaryReportId=0

I bought 4 about 18 months ago and they have been fine.  I got them at a good price and paid for them with Halfords gift cards bought from Morrisons. Buying each £100 card got me AFAIR £10 off fuel at their garage so half a tankful for nothing. Sweet.

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

I bought a Halfords HLB681 115a leasure battery. Its ony been connected for a week. Yesterday I charged it up, to 15.2v until it dropped to 13.6v float. At 5pm I stopped the charge to allow the voltage to drop so I could use the lights and 12v things safely. So I waited and waited in candle and paraffin lamp light. It did drop very very slowly to 13.1v and is still at that 13.1v now. It does drop by the correct amount as I switch certain things on and off and returns to around 13v. Its still showing 13.1v at the moment.  It took a week for it to fall to about 12.4v before I put it on charge yesterday.  How about that for Halfords.  At first I thought it might be a 14v battery with 7 cells, so I counted them over and over again, but no, only 6.

You're not meant to wire it in to you ecofan! No wonder the voltage is never dropping.:)

3 hours ago, philjw said:

Hmmm. That's the address on the page. You can reach it from a link on the Halfords page

http://www.halfords.com/camping-leisure/caravan-motorhomes/electrical-power/halfords-leisure-battery-115ah

where it says "View the Safety Data Sheet"

Don't add verifiable facts to discussions!  Where will this madness stop?

People might have to reconsider long held opinions if you are going to add truth to conversations :D

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Duck! I haven't got up from the first time

......since you asked, he's having a great time. Not quite house trained yet, but it has been so cold outside. Here's a shot of him enjoying the sunshine yesterday morning while we had a few days out to find the fuel boat and go to the butchers!

...........but I've not taken him to Halfords yet...he doesnt need batteries, cause he's not a hen (see, back on topic now!);)

D800 duck braunston-0809.jpg

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting.  They do look a good weight.  However they also look just like so many generic "leisure" batteries.  Over the years I've bought many sets, ranging in price from £53 to £95; mostly 110AHr sealed or unsealed.  I can't say the dearer ones have performed any better than the cheaper ones.  So, as far as standard "leisure" batteries go, how does one tell which are the good ones and which are not?  I had one set that I thought were near their useful end after two years and they sat in my carport for a further  year.  Then I found out about equalisation charges and put them on a bench supply at 15.5V for a few hours. They then went back on the boat for another 18 months. Others I've bought from a reputable supplier and have barely lasted a year of useful life.

Is there any surefire way of knowing you are going to be supplied with a decent battery, without paying well over the odds for them?

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Ssscrudddy said:

They look the similar to these ones I was planning on getting, which are supposed to be  29kg, 120Ah, non-starter (750 CCA), Silver Calcium, maintenance free (but not sealed), 500 cycles, £100, free delivery.
https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/product/abs-120ah-ampere/

I brought a 100AH from here. All seems fine so far but only using as a starter battery. Very good delivery service.

I live close enough to collect in person. Advancedbatterysupplies can afford to be keen on their prices because the building thay are operating from is just about falling down. Nothing wasted on maintenance. 

My leisure batteries lasted three years. They were abused by shared owners so fair lifespan I thought.