Hey the Owls are Back.

brassedoff

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Whilst walking back from Northwich to Anderton through Carey Park the other night I also heard a couple of Tawny Owls doing their thing, and a short way further on a Barn (screech) Owl letting us know he was there.

Off topic a bit, but earlier in the same park was the most amazing aerial display of thousands of starlings formation flying, you've got to see it to appreciate it, description nor photographs do it any sort of justice but the closest description I can give is that it was like watching a cloud doing ballet.

I've seen them in cloud formation amazjng and the robin red breasts seem to be so familiar and super confident with people.

Mind you I do duck when a flock of Canadian Geese fly over me. Huds up.

9 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Brilliant way to describe the fascinating murmerartion phenomenon. We watched the rooks coming in to roost at Attenborough on the Trent a few nights ago then had a great view of starlings murmerating, spell binding. Went to listen for tawneys where we had heard them previously but no joy.

As you say it was utterly spellbinding to the degree that as I was walking along Chester Way other pedestrians were stopping to watch them (a group of women even came out of the hairdressers!). I didn't know that it was called murmerating but the noise they make is quite considerable (not really a murmur:rolleyes:). From my perspective on the ground some of the stuff they were doing looked impossible as the 'cloud' appeared to pass through itself.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

8 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

As you say it was utterly spellbinding to the degree that as I was walking along Chester Way other pedestrians were stopping to watch them (a group of women even came out of the hairdressers!). I didn't know that it was called murmerating but the noise they make is quite considerable (not really a murmur:rolleyes:). From my perspective on the ground some of the stuff they were doing looked impossible as the 'cloud' appeared to pass through itself.

Known as ring angels to radar operators: http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/156/963/242

16 hours ago, haggis said:

No I don't look anything like that! 

Haggis 

…...talking of Haggis. Lots of people darn sawf dont believe they are real. Makes me think of a joke that did the rounds a while back up Norff.

There were three of them walking down Sauchiehall Street.

Father Christmas

An intelligent Celtic supporter

and a Haggis.

They spotted a £10 note on the pavement. Who picked it up?

.. No, the Haggis silly. The other two don't exist!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

…...talking of Haggis. Lots of people darn sawf dont believe they are real. Makes me think of a joke that did the rounds a while back up Norff.

There were three of them walking down Sauchiehall Street.

Father Christmas

An intelligent Celtic supporter

and a Haggis.

(snip)

Didn't you mean an intelligent Rangers supporter?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

Didn't you mean an intelligent Rangers supporter?

Actually the first time I heard it, it had an intelligent Rangers supporter in it. Not sure if you rember 'off the ball'.....or was it 'on the ball', the one with Tam Cowan and Stuart Cosgrove? My son who was 11 at the time sent them the joke which Cosgrove read out on air before the footy one Saturday. Then it was Father Christmas, an intelligent Rangers supporter and an intelligent St Johnstone supporter ......with of course the intelligent Rangers supporter and Father Christmas not existing (we followed the Saintees all over Scotland). Cosgrove was also a Saintees supporter.....he sat near us!

My son got an "off the ball" T shirt. Cosgrove got a lot of stick over the next few weeks from parents moaning that he had said Father Christmas doesnt exist.:giggles:

Wasn't Scottish football great.......er NO!:)

2 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Seeing as no one else has.....

Owls? Do we give two hoots about owls?

Oh yes, they are lovely birds and it is sad to see them declining over the years. Here's a long eared owl I got a shot of in Shetland a few years back.

Not managed any shots of Little Owls yet though.They are very difficult to see.

1280 800E  D5037-.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh yes, they are lovely birds and it is sad to see them declining over the years. Here's a long eared owl I got a shot of in Shetland a few years back.

Not managed any shots of Little Owls yet though.They are very difficult to see.

1280 800E  D5037-.jpg

Saw a little owl silhouetted in a small tree against the evening sky on the Moors near my house, close to Rochdale Canal Summit. Last summer heard fledged tawnies issueing a pathetic learners hoot.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Did you return it again? Or are you holding it hostage like that poor duck! 

Pay attention....I said " I got a shot of in Shetland a few years back" and the duck's not poor. It has a scarf. How many ducks round your way have scarves?

5 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Pay attention....I said " I got a shot of in Shetland a few years back" and the duck's not poor. It has a scarf. How many ducks round your way have scarves?

Your aving a larf,I know a giraffe with a scarf.

Post 14 "I took this one a few winters back"

Edited by rusty69