Hey the Owls are Back.

brassedoff

Featured Posts

....but back on topic. The 'wit wooing' is from the Tawny Owl (rather than owls in general) and it is a duet....not commonly appreciated. The female does the 'Toowit' and the male responds with the 'Toowoo'. So, you are hearing two of them.  Now, if they are going to ban females with not a lot of clothes on from F1 races, what hope have we got for female tawny owls....who dont wear a lot of clothes.

1 hour ago, billh said:

I thought this time of the year the owls would be quiet as  it is too wet to woo.

We have had the barn owl out at all times of the day this week. We normally see him between 8 and 9 in the morning then towards 4 in the afternoon but this week I have also watched him at lunch time. well I say him, but we have 2

DSCF0180.JPG

DSCF0178.JPG

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have had the barn owl out at all times of the day this week. We normally see him between 8 and 9 in the morning then towards 4 in the afternoon but this week I have also watched him at lunch time. well I say him, but we have 2

DSCF0180.JPG

DSCF0178.JPG

That looks more like a Haggis to me.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Tawny Owls, Barn Owls, .........what have we got left?

How about a Short Eared Owl. I took this one a few winters back. Winter is a good time to see owls especially if its rained a lot at night so they have to hunt in the morning or late afternoon if it dries up.

1280 800E E 5260-.jpg

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Love 1
  • Happy 2

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

....but back on topic. The 'wit wooing' is from the Tawny Owl (rather than owls in general) and it is a duet....not commonly appreciated. The female does the 'Toowit' and the male responds with the 'Toowoo'. So, you are hearing two of them.  Now, if they are going to ban females with not a lot of clothes on from F1 races, what hope have we got for female tawny owls....who dont wear a lot of clothes.

Yes their were definitely two Dr Bob.

Really nice sound.

we have tawny owls (several pairs) in the small bit of woodland opposite the house (very noisy at times), a pair of barn owls in the area, not sure where they live (6 suitable barns / structures close by) and as a nice bonus 2 pairs of little owls, one pair in a barn 100 yards from my house and the other pair seem to alternate between the woods and another barn

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

we have tawny owls (several pairs) in the small bit of woodland opposite the house (very noisy at times), a pair of barn owls in the area, not sure where they live (6 suitable barns / structures close by) and as a nice bonus 2 pairs of little owls, one pair in a barn 100 yards from my house and the other pair seem to alternate between the woods and another barn

The ones near me 20ft away are in woods tooooo.

Brill.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

DSCF0180.JPG

DSCF0178.JPG

Wonderful pictures. Love barn owls.

8 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Tawny Owls, Barn Owls, .........what have we got left?

How about a Short Eared Owl. I took this one a few winters back. Winter is a good time to see owls especially if its rained a lot at night so they have to hunt in the morning or late afternoon if it dries up.

1280 800E E 5260-.jpg

We saw a short eared owl at Trent junction this time last year. Not been this year to check.

Whilst walking back from Northwich to Anderton through Carey Park the other night I also heard a couple of Tawny Owls doing their thing, and a short way further on a Barn (screech) Owl letting us know he was there.

Off topic a bit, but earlier in the same park was the most amazing aerial display of thousands of starlings formation flying, you've got to see it to appreciate it, description nor photographs do it any sort of justice but the closest description I can give is that it was like watching a cloud doing ballet.

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Whilst walking back from Northwich to Anderton through Carey Park the other night I also heard a couple of Tawny Owls doing their thing, and a short way further on a Barn (screech) Owl letting us know he was there.

Off topic a bit, but earlier in the same park was the most amazing aerial display of thousands of starlings formation flying, you've got to see it to appreciate it, description nor photographs do it any sort of justice but the closest description I can give is that it was like watching a cloud doing ballet.

Brilliant way to describe the fascinating murmerartion phenomenon. We watched the rooks coming in to roost at Attenborough on the Trent a few nights ago then had a great view of starlings murmerating, spell binding. Went to listen for tawneys where we had heard them previously but no joy.