Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Hopefully, the nice lady can get the cell door working again. Failing that we might need to make a jailbreak.  :D

Do we go under or over the bridges do you think? And could we introduce a wooden vaulting horse into the plan somewhere ..........?

1 minute ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Do we go under or over the bridges do you think? And could we introduce a wooden vaulting horse into the plan somewhere ..........?

Oh, it'd have to be Escape from Alcatraz style. And definitely, some tied together bed sheets. I'm too short for the part of Clint Eastwood, but I do have a dinghy.  :D

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Oh, it'd have to be Escape from Alcatraz style. And definitely, some tied together bed sheets. I'm too short for the part of Clint Eastwood, but I do have a dinghy.  :D

Not very stable by all accounts Ronnie! (which takes us back to the horse I believe ........)

Had a walk along the Forth Clyde canal today from Wynford Lock down past the Falkirk Wheel to lock14. Stopped for a bite to eat and watched the Wheel rotate. Only boat movements I saw was the Wheel trip boat, a Seagull Trust trip boat and one hired boat coming through lock 16.

Very quiet for the holiday period with no private craft appearing to be on the move. 

Is this a sign of things to come? 

1 hour ago, AllanD said:

Had a walk along the Forth Clyde canal today from Wynford Lock down past the Falkirk Wheel to lock14. Stopped for a bite to eat and watched the Wheel rotate. Only boat movements I saw was the Wheel trip boat, a Seagull Trust trip boat and one hired boat coming through lock 16.

Very quiet for the holiday period with no private craft appearing to be on the move. 

Is this a sign of things to come? 

Nope. Quite a few boats including myself were down at the Kelpies last month

Union is steady with boats, private and hire. I certainly plan to be on the F&C next year when the bridges are reopened. There's certainly positivity up here, hopefully that's reciprocated with the guys at the Glasgow end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen evidence of work being done with the bridges or any further maintenance, I was told today both weed cutters are out of action awaiting repairs,  not sure if it's true or not, but I've not seen them in action.

The Union Canal weed cutter is moored at Leamington (At least, it was on Friday and over the weekend.)

Lochrin Belle is currently mooring outside Edinburgh Quay, as Leamington lift bridge is a bit sick, and operations are being kept to a minimum, with no non-SC operation. 

I'll be in on Thursday, so I'll ask about the weed cutter then, if it's still there.

Some locks on the Falkirk flight are getting gates fixed (I think by nailing marine ply to the upstream face) and should be getting some paint tomorrow, courtesy of the volunteers, and weather permitting.

Oh yes, I heard about the plywood too lol, how the hell is plywood going to help, seemingly it was plywood left over from a contractor that was doing work, so may or may not be marine ply, but we left a sheep of plywood out during the winter and within 2 months sitting on the decking it was delaminated, god knows how it will bare up under water.

I've been asking Scottish government,  and scottish canals what the statutory  obligation  to navigation means, ie 7 days per week or 4 days per week, I'm still waiting a response.  I have given a comparison  based on the M8 motorway. If the Edinburgh  side of the M8 needed roadworks would they close the full motorway 3 days per week, because the Edinburgh  side is quite? 

Over the last few months we had been preparing for a sponsored walk along the full length of the Forth and Clyde Canal. During that time and also the walk itself we witnessed no boat movements at all. 

We did see a weed cutter along near Old Kilpatrick. On the morning of the walk, Friday 3rd August we did see some efforts to skim the weed from the surface at Bowling Basin. 

Last Thursday we walked from Maryhill to Speirs Wharf and again the weed growth was evident except for the area immediately in front of the residential moorings. 

Tonight I have started a Facebook  group called "Forth and Clyde  canal neglected" , can I ask everyone to join the group,  the purpose will be to try and put pressure  on Scottish  canals by showing support for the canal, it will also let folk share communication  and any progress made. Obviously  on this page we are all passionate  about our boating  but not enough folk can see your posts. I look forward  to seeing the join requests.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jokar said:

Tonight I have started a Facebook  group called "Forth and Clyde  canal neglected" , can I ask everyone to join the group,  the purpose will be to try and put pressure  on Scottish  canals by showing support for the canal, it will also let folk share communication  and any progress made. Obviously  on this page we are all passionate  about our boating  but not enough folk can see your posts. I look forward  to seeing the join requests.

Not finding it (admit I'm not that good with Facebook stuff). Maybe change it to Lowland Canals neglected

Edited by 13-10

I know a few of you have joined the group now, anyone on here is welcome. I've been trying to get a response from Scottish  canals about the statutory  navigation,  the fact they won't answer feeds me with the answer, if they were in the right they would have answered right away

On 14/08/2018 at 22:55, Jokar said:

Has anyone seen evidence of work being done with the bridges or any further maintenance, I was told today both weed cutters are out of action awaiting repairs,  not sure if it's true or not, but I've not seen them in action.

On 15/08/2018 at 01:56, Iain_S said:

The Union Canal weed cutter is moored at Leamington (At least, it was on Friday and over the weekend.)

(snip)

The Union canal weed cutter moved a while ago, and I'm told it is working. (It seems to be doing a good job : I reversed from the winding hole east of Prince Charlie aqueduct to Slateford Aqueduct twice yesterday, and nothing on the prop :) )

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

The Union canal weed cutter moved a while ago, and I'm told it is working. (It seems to be doing a good job : I reversed from the winding hole east of Prince Charlie aqueduct to Slateford Aqueduct twice yesterday, and nothing on the prop :) )

I sometimes use a blast of reverse to clear the prop :cheers: 

23 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Sitting having lunch earlier today in The Boathouse, Auchinstarry and had the delight of seeing one of the local boats out for a short cruise. Thank you. 

Hi Allan, would that be Mytho the boat Dutch cruiser  in the left corner nearest the hotel bedrooms ?

20 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Coverage on the Good Morning Scotland breakfast show (repeated at 16.00 on the same day in the Drivetime slot) ran in parallel with this article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bgb8x1

Have a listen at 5.35 mins in and, for the full piece, 1hr 39 mins in ...... 

If Mr Salmond and his alleged misfortunes hadn't got in the way, there was to have been BBC Scotland TV coverage in the 18.00 news programme. This will very likely air this evening Monday) in the same slot (just so long as our political friends are behaving themselves).