Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

On 17/05/2018 at 10:09, Up-Side-Down said:

and there is a get out in that the Transport Minister can sign a certificate stating  " that the imposition of any requirement on the Board on the basis of their existing duty would result in their incurring substantial expense and that, having regard to their financial position and their duty under section 18 of the Act of 1962 and section 41 of this Act, it would be unreasonable for them to bear that expense without a grant or further grant under section 43 of this Act." 

There was a story going round in the 1980s, when Netherton Tunnel had been closed for several years, that the local authority were thinking of bringing such an action against BW to get the tunnel repaired and reopened. But the government made it clear that if a case was brought the Minister would sign such a certificate, and so the case never happened. Instead, eventually, government found some extra money to address maintenance arrears. Can't see the same thing happening now!

On 15/04/2018 at 11:50, Alan de Enfield said:

You cannot argue with that.

You could say the same if the English canal system was totally closed down - after all there are 460,000,000 visits per year to the canals. Boats are a very, very, very small minority of canal users.

I would say the ratio of tow path users to boats moving I have seen this week is 40:1 walkers and 100:1 cyclists 

My wife and I would be 2 of the walkers. Planning a Coast to Coast along the FC (Bowling to Grangemouth) in August as a fundraiser, and walked from Clydebank to Lambhill Stables today and not a sign of any boat movement. 

Looks like another bridge with problems Robert Whitworth Bridge (I didn't know it was called that, but it seems to be the powered bascule bridge at Applecross Street) is closed to boats until they examine the hydraulic rams to see if they're salvageable, and is then going to be fixed open until it's fixed.

To add to SC's woes, (perhaps), I was on Locks 3 - 16 today, and the amount of water coming THROUGH the top gates on several of the locks is quite impressive, especially on Lock 5. The water level was down a bit, so there wasn't enough coming over the top of the gates to hide what was coming through. Some of the top gates have visible holes in them, below the upper pound level. Not sure what can have caused them, but if it's rot in the gates, they ain't gonna last long :(

Edited by Iain_S

Spent yesterday evening in Skipton on the L&L observing the vibrancy of the canalside opposite the junction with the Springs Branch. This is what I had hoped for the Lowland Canals. 

On our recent walking along the F&C I have become aware of the area of possible development, one example could be the release of the area of the old Kelvin drydock to provide a very usable facility for many. 

Confidence in our waterways must begin with SC and then be actively promoted by them into business and community groups. 

10 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Looks like another bridge with problems Robert Whitworth Bridge (I didn't know it was called that, but it seems to be the powered bascule bridge at Applecross Street) is closed to boats until they examine the hydraulic rams to see if they're salvageable, and is then going to be fixed open until it's fixed.

Its proper name is Rockvilla bridge, No. 22.     There's a strange habit now of re-naming things.

AllanD says SC should create an environment where business and community groups can engage. 

There are plenty of both that try, but the irony of Steve Dunlop going to Scottish Enterprise is not lost on them.

Trying to get them to even meet to discuss ideas let alone implement them is hard enough.

What do they spend all their salary budgets on? Layer after layer of people attending meeting after meeting.

Achievements? Well, we know that.

Had a wee walk at Bowling last night and this morning, as I couldn't  get out the canal on a Thursday,  but noticed the difference in the lock gates, they used to be well painted black and white, now look uncared for rust flaking off, another sign of the maintenance  not being done

Finally got a wee bit of movement  and common sense from Scottish  canals, they will allow us to get in on the five bank holiday Mondays, and also staff will be available  on the opening  days to suit tide times. Other than that the service is slashed but berthing prices continue  going up as per their pricing strategy consultation, which was done while the canal was open. Does anyone feel it's wrong for prices to increase  while the service has plummeted, or am I the only one?

I seen this comment on their price strategy  pdf

ustomer feedback

“My fees may be going up a couple of hundred pounds but I think it’s well worth it as the facilities and customer service are second to none. Folk spend a fortune on flats to overlook a canal that I’m actually not paying too much to live on!” Residential boater, Bowling, Forth & Clyde Canal

I wonder if the person who allegedly  wrote this feel this is still the case lok

10 minutes ago, Jokar said:

Finally got a wee bit of movement  and common sense from Scottish  canals, they will allow us to get in on the five bank holiday Mondays, and also staff will be available  on the opening  days to suit tide times. Other than that the service is slashed but berthing prices continue  going up as per their pricing strategy consultation, which was done while the canal was open. Does anyone feel it's wrong for prices to increase  while the service has plummeted, or am I the only one?

ustomer feedback

“My fees may be going up a couple of hundred pounds but I think it’s well worth it as the facilities and customer service are second to none. Folk spend a fortune on flats to overlook a canal that I’m actually not paying too much to live on!” Residential boater, Bowling, Forth & Clyde Canal

I wonder if the person who allegedly  wrote this feel this is still the case lok

Did you get the recent email from SC about the monthly openings of Tweechar and Knightswood? Bonnybridge is apparently still a no go.

The email also hints that they're still trying to get funding.

12 minutes ago, Jokar said:

ustomer feedback

Maybe they are a 'floating flat owner' rather than a boater and the lack of 'movement options' does not affect them.

Prices based on a consultation  based on amenities and service provided, should be reduced when the amenities  are closed and services reduced, I made enquiries  today as I am thinking about buying a boat the exact same as mine, to sell on at a profit, however I am quoted the new prices, which is £197.70  per meter a rise from the £128.13 per meter I'm paying just now, the only benefit is there doesn't  seem to be any waiting list now, does the empty berths make money! It would be interesting  to know how many thousands got spent on the pricing consultation,  and what the additional profits are on the berthing income, I'll bet the price rises with less boats will take years to pay the consultation  fees

6 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Maybe put your second boat elsewhere on the canal? Some places are cheaper than others. Where I am is cheaper than Bowling Upper/Basin.

https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2018-Leisure-Licence-and-Mooring-Price-List-valid-from-1.4.18.pdf

Ronnie,  I priced Auchinstarry  but even that is far more per meter than I'm paying just now at Bowling, eventually  my berth will be £197 per meter  that's almost double  what I am just now, with almost half the service I had

4 minutes ago, Jokar said:

Ronnie,  I priced Auchinstarry  but even that is far more per meter than I'm paying just now at Bowling, eventually  my berth will be £197 per meter  that's almost double  what I am just now, with almost half the service I had

Another thing to watch is that some (and I think Auchinstarry is one of them) have a minimum of 10m. Even if, like me, you're only 7m, you still need to pay for 10m.

It's not the greatest, but they are changing the sea lock times:

we will facilitate sea lockings 4 days a week on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. However, we will be flexible as to the times.

If this rain keeps up, that second boat might come in handy!  :D

Hi Ronnie, yes I know about the times and bank holidays,  I did enough shouting to get it changed, but we now need guys like yourself to use the sealock, the 10mtr pontoon  is the right way to charge a 10mtr finger, that way if you get a 1mtr boat you don't pay for the bit that's hanging over lol. We now need scottish  canals  to lower the berthing fees, as the new prices were meant to be introduced  for the services we had, ie 7 days per week and an open canal. More voices are needed to complain 

34 minutes ago, Jokar said:

we now need guys like yourself to use the sealock

I'm not quite up for that yet, but I will be soon. Currently studying for the VHF radio license. Once I have that I'll feel a bit safer knowing that I can put out a cry for help over the radio without bringing in the coastguard and being on STV news.  ;):D

36 minutes ago, Jokar said:

We now need scottish canals to lower the berthing fees, as the new prices were meant to be introduced for the services we had

That's definitely a fair point.

In fact, that reminds me, I must contact my local MSP and see if he got anywhere with all this shenanigans about bridges, etc..

Are SC planning boat movements between Bowling and Clydebank? There was a water-borne weed cutter moving east from Old Kirkpatrick this morning. Due to the fact that no one is able to cruise much at the moment, weed growth is already giving the canal an "abandoned" look!! 

I've just heard the CRINAN CANAL is now closed to boat transits, seeming  the timber on lock 6 gave way, and although they have had timer sitting for a while to repair it, the new timber has started to rot too, even before being used? I honestly can't see how this management  team are still in charge, seems to be one calamity  after another.

Bring back Brittish Waterways.

• Unimpressed 1