Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

There were boat movements today (including one of the falkirk lift trip boats) as iain was on volunteer lockie duty. I gather it broke down  - but they got it going again :-) 

haggis

Bonnybridge was lifted once. (I suspect the main reason was to get the Wheel trip boat Antonine back to the Wheel from Auchenstarry).

Four down 20 to 17, and one up. We were expecting a few more, but there seem to have been some cancellations. 

13 hours ago, 13-10 said:

Jokar, did you phone the assisted passage number

Nope I called the Bowling g landlines number I always phone and that diverts to the duty mobile, it's the only number  I know, I have asked Paula if there is a new procedure,  just waiting on the reply. 

2 hours ago, Jokar said:

Nope I called the Bowling g landlines number I always phone and that diverts to the duty mobile, it's the only number  I know, I have asked Paula if there is a new procedure,  just waiting on the reply. 

I stand to be corrected but I think everything has to go through the boat movement phone number as per the email that was sent out

9 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Bonnybridge was lifted once. (I suspect the main reason was to get the Wheel trip boat Antonine back to the Wheel from Auchenstarry).

Four down 20 to 17, and one up. We were expecting a few more, but there seem to have been some cancellations. 

Have you got any idea where they're going. I know one is going to Ratho but didn't think there were many moorings to be had on Union Canal

On 05/05/2018 at 10:54, Alan de Enfield said:

And, if no one did use them it could reinforce BWS argument about lack of use.

I would suggest that Scottish boaters need to co-ordinate as much as possible, or it'll be like the 'Village Shop' - "use it or lose it".

In the 1940's the GWR, then owners of the Stratford Canal, declared that Lifford Lane bridge would only open by arrangement at 24 hours notice. Boaters co-ordinated to give 24 hours notice at regular, but not too regular, intervals so GWR  had to open the bridge most days. GWR eventually fixed the bridge.

Might be worth a similar approach in Scotland?

3 hours ago, 13-10 said:

I stand to be corrected but I think everything has to go through the boat movement phone number as per the email that was sent out

Have you got any idea where they're going. I know one is going to Ratho but didn't think there were many moorings to be had on Union Canal

I don't think I got an email with booking details, I know they are on about a Web based booking system for 2019, if any boats are still there. I got through to Bowling  today and spoke to one of the lock keepers, they will still take bookings but he wasn't sure why the phone went to the ee voice mail 

On 07/05/2018 at 12:09, 13-10 said:

(snip)

Not really. The ascending one (Scotch Mist) was heading for Glasgow. Hope the S.C. guys weren't too late finishing; they had Hillhead to swing before going back to Grangemouth.

Below is a link to the Kirkintilloch Herald newspaper picking up the plight of the Forth Clyde canal being discussed within the local county council. 

I hope as reported in the article that other councils will also lobby both SC and the Scottish Government. 

https://www-kirkintilloch--herald-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/fears-for-jobs-with-dereliction-of-canal-1-4737048/amp?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1#amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ffears-for-jobs-with-dereliction-of-canal-1-4737048

Great that it's back in the news, we need more publicity, but the Scotsman  report is spot on, the lack of maintenance  has killed the boaters enthusiasm, I'd rather have my boat back at Auchinstarry  and go to Bowling in the summer months as we always did until the trip became too costly  in damages. One year we got as far as lock 27 and had to turn back as a bridge at clydebank was faulty, that was after taking cars to Bowling on the Friday night then having no transport to pick them up after the failed trip, when that trip did go ahead I caused £1200  in damage to My boat through getting props fouled, the following year was an even bigger cost in damages, 2nd time paid for by Scottish canals, who the offered the mooring at Bowling where we have been since. So the canal maintenance  has been a very big issue since about 2012. And even before that the weed growth caused hassle to a lot of boats. But we all used our boats regularly,  we even had a flotilla  of boats from all through the lowland canals went out the East coast to Stirling rowing club. Those days need to return as since the take over from Brittish waterways the canal has been a shambles. 

4 minutes ago, 13-10 said:

Could folks take the time to sign this please, it's a petition to appoint an independent ombudsman for the Scottish Canals

http://www.parliament.scot/gettinginvolved/petitions/waterombudsman

Done.

What's the minimum number of signatures before they even bother looking at it?

5 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Done.

What's the minimum number of signatures before they even bother looking at it?

I've been informed- Scottish Government petitions are always heard in the relevant group regardless of signature numbers.

Afternoon all, below is a letter which has been received as part of a response from The Department of Transport to a member of the LCA

Looks like there could be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel, apologies for the crappy cut and paste

Mr Steve Dunlop    Chief Executive Scottish Canals Canal House 1 Applecross Street GLASGOW G4 9SP Our ref: A20730513 13 April 2018

Dear Steve, BRITISH WATERWAYS/SCOTTISH CANALS: GRANT-IN-AID 2018-19 I am writing to formally confirm that Transport Scotland will make available grant-in-aid funding of up to £11.6 million to British Waterways trading as Scottish Canals (hereafter referred to as Scottish Canals) in financial year 2018-19. The funding will comprise resource grant of £8.1 million and capital grant of £3.5 million for assets that Scottish Canals capitalise. Any change within the financial year would be by agreement with Transport Scotland. The grant is paid by Transport Scotland to Scottish Canals under the Transport Act 1968 (as amended) to enable Scottish Canals to deliver its statutory functions to maintain and operate the canals for navigation. It may be used for the creation of new operational canal assets but may not be used in respect of Scottish Canals’ non-operational activity where it is acting commercially within the market. Transport Scotland will make monthly payments to Scottish Canals based on the presented claim profile from Scottish Canals, subject to the agreed grant allocation not being exceeded and grant not being drawn down in advance of need. Scottish Ministers expect Scottish Canals to be mindful of its statutory obligations and core public service function, and to deliver these competently. In particular Ministers expect Scottish Canals to ensure adequate funding is directed to maintenance of its operational assets. Ministers expect Scottish Canals to work in accordance with the agreed canals policy and, like all public bodies, meet the public sector efficiency target of 3% in 2018-19. I would be grateful if you could confirm Scottish Canals’ acceptance of the offer of funding on the terms set out above for 2018-19.

Yours sincerely, Chris Wilcock - Head of Ports, Shipping, Freight and Canals Team

Looks like good news for boaters - however every silver lining has a cloud around it.

If Transport Scotland 'bail-out' Scottish Canals, what incentive is there for SC to do anything different in the future ?

Another few years and it all happens again ....... "Don't worry Transport Scotland will bail us out again"

17 minutes ago, 13-10 said:

Scottish Ministers expect Scottish Canals to be mindful of its statutory obligations and core public service function, and to deliver these competently. In particular Ministers expect Scottish Canals to ensure adequate funding is directed to maintenance of its operational assets.

And how / who will monitor it ?

What penalties are applied when / if they don't meet their obligations ?

But - it does look like short term good news.

That's better news but I wonder why Scottish Canals didn't publicise it a month ago 

I like that conditions have been imposed and it is to be hoped that SC stick to them 

I think boaters will be watching carefully 

Now we need to knows who is taking over from Dunlop 

Haggis 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Looks like good news for boaters - however every silver lining has a cloud around it.

If Transport Scotland 'bail-out' Scottish Canals, what incentive is there for SC to do anything different in the future ?

Another few years and it all happens again ....... "Don't worry Transport Scotland will bail us out again"

And how / who will monitor it ?

What penalties are applied when / if they don't meet their obligations ?

But - it does look like short term good news.

Alan,

This is their annual grant from Government apparently, my understanding is the Transport Minister is reminding them what it has to be spent on. So keeping the Canal running rather than property speculation.

The letter mentions releasing it in sections so would assume if they think SC are taking the piss again they can withhold payments. If nothing else it's public acknowledgement from the Government that they realise SC haven't been doing their job and are holding them to account.

Just now, 13-10 said:

Alan,

This is their annual grant from Government apparently, my understanding is the Transport Minister is reminding them what it has to be spent on. So keeping the Canal running rather than property speculation.

The letter mentions releasing it in sections so would assume if they think SC are taking the piss again they can withhold payments. If nothing else it's public acknowledgement from the Government that they realise SC haven't been doing their job and are holding them to account.

Ok - but if this is their annual grant that they would have got any way, and not 'extra' money - what is not going to be done that would have been done with the grant ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok - but if this is their annual grant that they would have got any way, and not 'extra' money - what is not going to be done that would have been done with the grant ?

Hopefully no property development or new marinas. They've publicly been told what the money is meant for and not to be used in the way they have previously (I'm sure there are other folk on this forum with a better knowledge of that than me)

Edited by 13-10

What would be another way to go is the release of land at reasonable cost to promote the development of facilities such as moorings, engineering and other businesses to support the existing and future boaters on the canal by independent companies other than SC.