Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Jokar said:

We have listened to our customers

Well, that'd be a first.

The first Forth and Clyde canal meeting will be held in the Lowland Canal offices, Southbank Marina, 4 Strathkelvin Place, Kirkintilloch, G66 1XT on Thursday 8th November 2018 from 6.30pm to 8.30pm.

Can we get there by boat?

I hope you are able to join us

Not all the way up in Kirkie. But maybe that's part of their plan.

Can we send them a horses head or something in protest?

I'm assuming they're waiting until they get a new CEO who can take the pelters the outgoing CEO should get.

Still, it is pretty shocking that they're waiting until November to answer questions. People will want answers NOW to see if they'll be going anywhere for summer.

Scottish Canals, if you're reading this, you might want to book a couple of riot vans for this event. Just saying...

Edited by ronnietucker

29 minutes ago, AllanD said:

What are the ethics and issues with this going onto social media?

It is one way to get it into the Public Domain. 

My evil side wants hundreds of people to reply saying they're going to attend just to frighten the crap out of Scottish Canals.   :D

11 hours ago, AllanD said:

What are the ethics and issues with this going onto social media?

It is one way to get it into the Public Domain. 

The way I see it, Scottish Canals are  puplicy funded and they have a legal obligation  to maintain  the canals, not everyone knows what's going on with meetings etc, so puting important  issues on a forum may put some pressure on them to listen, hopefully  they will not wait 7 months to listen to complaints from boaters

20 minutes ago, AllanD said:

Is the problem with bridges  spreading?

The swing bridge at Laggan on the Caledonian Canal is jammed open closing the A82 with a diversion of 150 miles involved. 

That one was caused by a car accident though so one closure which can't be laid at Scottish canals door - unless they take ages to fix it :-) 

Haggis

32 minutes ago, haggis said:

That one was caused by a car accident though so one closure which can't be laid at Scottish canals door - unless they take ages to fix it :-) 

Haggis

Aberdeen Press & Journal are quoting "mechanical failure".  Where did info on car accident appear?

7 minutes ago, Waterway2go said:

Aberdeen Press & Journal are quoting "mechanical failure".  Where did info on car accident appear?

I am sure when I looked at the SC Web site this morning it said that a vehicle accident caused the problem but when I looked again after I posted that message it was no longer there, just a message saying the highways had inspected the bridge and SC guys were standing by to fix it 

Haggis 

1 hour ago, AllanD said:

Is the problem with bridges  spreading?

The swing bridge at Laggan on the Caledonian Canal is jammed open closing the A82 with a diversion of 150 miles involved. 

Maybe that's the trick for the broken bridges on the lowlands canal.  Wedge them open so the roads are shut and they will have to fix them faster!

It's alright, its re-opened. Thankfully it was down to BEAR Scotland to fix it so no 'working with partners to find a resolution to the problem, public safety is our main concern blah blah'

Edited by 13-10
  • Greenie 1

Just though I would post a little update on the road closures at Laggan Locks. 

The swing bridge had a bit of a brain fart while in operation and got stuck - Bear came along and got it unstuck(ish).

There was no car accident and nobody got hurt, so thats good.

The road is open for traffic but the bridge can't be opened for boats just yet - the nice bods in the Inverness office say that the SC website will be updated again tomorrow when Bear let them know.

This isn't the first time that one of the bridges has done this and it never takes long to sort, so I can't see this being much different.

This update was brought to you curtesy of the nice bods in the SC office in Inverness. :)

Of course the one at Tomnahurich has just gone down now too, so it's every one round by Muirtown!:rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie

2 hours ago, haggis said:

Haggis

That one happened yesterday at Fort Augustus. :) 

It happens a lot.:blush:

Current Status:

bb1293acd963f37423d75b4a32dc65a7?s=72&d=
By Scottish Canals 11 APRIL 2018
Categories
News
Canal Works & Updates

11th April, 4,15pm

The A82 has reopened at Tomnaurich Swing Bridge, however the bridge remains closed to boat traffic. Our maintenance team are on site to investigate the fault.

11th April, 3.30pm

Tomnahurich Swing Bridge on the Caledonian Canal is currently closed to road and boat traffic due to a mechanical failure. An alternative route via Muirtown Swing Bridge can be used.

Muirtown Swing Bridge will remain open to road traffic whilst we investigate the issue

So currently Bearly operational!

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

"Lagan locks, Lagan locks, this is Laggan Bridge....over". 

Heard 57 times on the vhf each time we did the trip up or down. 

See, this is why I'm not allowed a vhf radio. I'd be pranking them by replying 'this is lagan bridge (or lock), go ahead' and cause mass confusion between them.

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2018 at 08:29, Dr Bob said:

"Lagan locks, Lagan locks, this is Laggan Bridge....over". 

Heard 57 times on the vhf each time we did the trip up or down. 

I'll bet you used the handle "rubber duck :D

• Haha 1

The Forth and Clyde Canal was on the TV last night in the comedy "Still Game" where they crashed a car into the canal.  Perhaps this is another avenue of income for SC either as a film location or a dumping area for old cars.