Forth and Clyde Closure

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

It was always my hope that the reopening of the Forth Clyde and Union Canals would bring a regeneration to the whole length.  When boating I would try to support local enterprise businesses along the Canals to encourage further development.  This uncertainty is extremely worrying for the future.  The already low level of facilities available will struggle if this is confirmed as permanent. 

Point 6 from the minutes of the September 2017 Scottish Canals board meeting

. Cash Contingency briefing paper The Board discussed the appropriateness of the contingency held in cash for funding emergency expenditure on canal infrastructure in accordance with Scottish Canals Framework Document with the Scottish Government as well as protecting against unforeseen cash flow demands. The Board noted that the scale and nature of emergency expenditure on canal infrastructure had exceeded the contingency and in every circumstance where there had been an emergency or critical asset failure Scottish Government had provided the necessary financial support to fund the works. The Board agreed that, in accordance with the responsible management of public money, it was not appropriate to maintain a ring-fenced contingency in cash as it was not the best use of public funds and not in the public interest. It was agreed that the Chair and Chief Executive would discuss this Board recommendation with the sponsor team with a view to revising the wording of Scottish Canals Framework Document to retain a liquidity requirement and report back to the next meeting.

Well that worked out well

Edited by 13-10

We took a trip down to Edinburgh last week, and having had our meeting we went for a walk down to the end of the cut, and thence by car to Ratho, both aqueducts, Linlithgow and the tunnel at Falkirk. (+Lunch at Bridge 49). Obviousy it was a cold day with some ice on the canal but the impression was that there was that not much boating went on. Boats moored on permanent moorings in the main weren't lived on, of course there are no CCers allowed, and generally it seemed very under-used, which is a shame because it also seemed very nice. All part of Nicola Sturgeon's Independance Scotand I suppose, where we must all become working class and live in a concrete council estate. Anyone who might be rich enough to have a leisure boat should be taxed until they can no longer afford it.

You are right, Nick, there is not much boating going on on the Lowland canals but that's the way Scottish Canals like it. If we all went boating, they would have to spend money maintaining the canal. Much much better if the canals were lined with residential boats which didn't have to move :-). When you were at Bridge 49 did you take a walk to the old transhipment basin behind it? Now full of residential boats and moving boats can't moor there. Very sad as the couple who own Bridge 49 are making a go of the Bistro no thanks to Scottish Canals who say they don't have money to provide a pontoon outside the Bistro or even mooring rings on the other side of the canal. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

I know it's the fashion to blame the Sturgeon for everything from the Edinburgh trams to potholes in the road, but the state of the canal is more down to the attitude of Scottish Canals than the gubbinment.

Almost all the new moorings are residential. At Bridge 49 Bistro near Linlithgow, you would have seen how the entire basin has been given over to residential moorings, with no accommodation for visiting boats. Plans for a pontoon outside the Bistro have been on hold for the last year or so, due to lack of money.

New moorings at Lochrin basin and Edinburgh Quay, likewise, are residential. 

The "vision" appears to be a canal filled with boats which pay high mooring fees, and don't move. Who needs operating bridges, anyway? :unsure::wacko::(

Edited by Iain_S

3 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

The "vision" appears to be a canal filled with boats which pay high mooring fees, and don't move. Who needs operating bridges, anyway? :unsure::wacko::(

So it's a cunning ploy - the bissums.

But seriously, the Bridge 49 Bistro is such a nice place to stop - it's pretty dire that they can't get a visitor mooring.

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

You are right, Nick, there is not much boating going on on the Lowland canals but that's the way Scottish Canals like it. If we all went boating, they would have to spend money maintaining the canal. Much much better if the canals were lined with residential boats which didn't have to move :-). When you were at Bridge 49 did you take a walk to the old transhipment basin behind it? Now full of residential boats and moving boats can't moor there. Very sad as the couple who own Bridge 49 are making a go of the Bistro no thanks to Scottish Canals who say they don't have money to provide a pontoon outside the Bistro or even mooring rings on the other side of the canal. 

haggis

No actually we only walked the other way to the aqueduct. It was bloody cold! I wasn't really aware there was a basin there until I looked at Google maps just now! Aqueduct was quite impressive although I noticed the sign saying it was the SECOND biggest one in the UK. The chap we chatted to at Linlithgow told us it was the biggest in the UK!

16 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

I know it's the fashion to blame the Sturgeon for everything from the Edinburgh trams to potholes in the road, but the state of the canal is more down to the attitude of Scottish Canals than the gubbinment.

Almost all the new moorings are residential. At Bridge 49 Bistro near Linlithgow, you would have seen how the entire basin has been given over to residential moorings, with no accommodation for visiting boats. Plans for a pontoon outside the Bistro have been on hold for the last year or so, due to lack of money.

New moorings at Lochrin basin and Edinburgh Quay, likewise, are residential. 

I know Queen Nicola can do no wrong but surely SC is a "nationalised industry" and as such, ultimately responsible to the Scottish Government? Whether they are interested is another matter, probably not. They are too busy ... Oh, never mind!

Off topic but one thing I noticed about Edinburgh is that when a bus stops at a bus stop, it puts its hazard lights on. Really confusing for us Aberdonians as we think a bus with its hazard lights on is one that has broken down. Dangerous in fact, because one moment a bus has its hazard lights on, next moment it's pulling out! And why does Corstorphine command a 20 limit when much of the rest of the run into Edinburgh from the west is 30? Does an important councillor /MSP live there? ..  and various other anti-SNP rants, fill in the gaps...

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

one thing I noticed about Edinburgh is that when a bus stops at a bus stop, it puts its hazard lights on.

That is odd.

Here in Glasgow, we're lucky if the bus stops, or even shows up, never mind putting on hazard lights.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No actually we only walked the other way to the aqueduct. It was bloody cold! I wasn't really aware there was a basin there until I looked at Google maps just now! Aqueduct was quite impressive although I noticed the sign saying it was the SECOND biggest one in the UK. The chap we chatted to at Linlithgow told us it was the biggest in the UK!

Yes it is the second biggest aqueduct in the UK and I agree that it is pretty impressive. many years ago before the canal was reopened the trip boat from Linlithgow used to tie up on the aqueduct and we encouraged the passengers to get out and admire the view. I was crewing one day and a group of  old ladies were reluctant to get off the boat till I told them there were males skinny dipping in the river below. I didn't tell them the males were abut 10 years old but they enjoyed the view :-) 

haggis

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Meaning of BISSUMS : numerology analysis. This path stands for creativity, adaptability, expression, sociability, originality, sensitivity and communication.

I am open to the fact that I've spelt it wrong - but I meant a naughty person. 

Lost the post, after some confusion (CWDF's not mine) over who I was quoting Anyway ...

Haven't noticed the bus hazard lights. Most do the standard left indicator until moving off, then right indicator.

The 20 m.p.h. limits originate with local councils, and are "rubber stamped" by the Scottish parliament. Not Nicola's fault! (Edinburgh has been well to the fore in introducing them all over the place)

Edited by Iain_S
CWDF playing daft blighters!

12 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I am open to the fact that I've spelt it wrong - but I meant a naughty person. 

Dictionary of the Scots:  bizzum

A term of contempt applied to a person, gen. a woman; some times to a woman of loose character, sometimes jocularly to a woman or young girl. Besom; bysim, bizzim, bizzom, bizzum, bissom.[′bi:zəm, ′bɪzəm, ′bɪsəm]

.... I think it is a female, youngish, and a pita as in "she's a richt wee bezzom

PS Coup, not cowp [earlier post] , an "amenity centre"

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Its scots :

A term of contempt applied to a person, gen. a woman; some times to a woman of loose character, sometimes jocularly to a woman or young girl. Besom; bysim, bizzim, bizzom, bizzum, bissom.[′bi:zəm, ′bɪzəm, ′bɪsəm]

I've never heard of it used to describe someone as of loose character.  To me it was always used to describe naughty children. 

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cowp

A coup is where you keep chicken - a cowp is where you tip stuff - like the tip.

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Its scots :

Derived from a Besom (sp?) also being a broom.