Italian Water Pump

Stephen Jeavons

Featured Posts

Hi All,

My main water pump which is tucked into the front step just behind the water tank has started to intermittently run on and frequently slow down too (could be brushes?). I've been wondering about it for a while as it's probably the only thing I haven't changed with the boat's refurb. Anyway I managed to get a photo of the pump label and it's Italian. It's an all metal jobbie with an impeller type pump (I think). Both inlet and outlet are vertical and the switches are built in.  I've never heard of the make. I was told by the seller of the boat that it had a "Good quality pump" . Anyone familiar with these? Are they still available?

Stephen 

pump label.JPG

17 minutes ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Thanks for that Ian. I would like to find a UK agent. The Italian website is a bit thin on detail. Up to now, the pump has worked well and is very quiet. It would be good to refurbish it.

Stephen

Have you tried http://gianneschi.co.uk/?

As Ian says, these are top quality pumps, but I think these days are targeted more at the superyacht market (the prices on the website would seem to suggest that to be the case!)

Matthew has provided a link for who I used to deal with. They provided an excellent service...but not cheap. Worth asking the question though about repairing your pump. One thing il add is be sure to get up front costs! As Matthew said they are used to dealing with companies and superyacht  owners who just pay whatever it costs. 

Ian.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, the prices are a bit super-yacht-ish aren't they. My pump looks like the ACB61G for £397 (Eek!). I'll see if they can supply a service kit, brushes etc. Otherwise, I reckon its time to go down-market with a Jabsco or Shurflo. If I do go the plastic route, can you recommend one to go for? My boat has shower, bath, flushing loo, basin, sink (with mixer tap), washing machine and calorifier with 3Bar PRV. Also have Accumulator on the pump and Expansion vessel on the calorifier. I was looking at a Jabsco PAR MAX PLUS 4 like this one (but not necessarily from MC :mellow:)

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1656/product/wp-014.aspx

Thoughts? Recommendations? Reliability?

The PAR MAX PLUS 4 water pressure pump replaces the Par Max 4. This is a completely new pump compared with the old model (31620). The PLUS 4 boasts a more powerful motor and new more robust head. Self priming water pressure pump to supply 4 or more outlets. Multi diaphragm design self primes to 3m vertical lift and be run dry without damage.

Just some feedback on this.

The agents contacted the factory with the details of my pump and it's at least 22+ years old. The boat is 23 years old so it must be the pump from the original fit-out. Pretty impressive hey?

They no longer have spares for it so I'm going to have to swap it out. I'd love to replace it with like for like but the new ones are outside my budget.

Any suggestions on what to go for?

Stephen 

23 hours ago, Stephen Jeavons said:

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, the prices are a bit super-yacht-ish aren't they. My pump looks like the ACB61G for £397 (Eek!). I'll see if they can supply a service kit, brushes etc. Otherwise, I reckon its time to go down-market with a Jabsco or Shurflo. If I do go the plastic route, can you recommend one to go for? My boat has shower, bath, flushing loo, basin, sink (with mixer tap), washing machine and calorifier with 3Bar PRV. Also have Accumulator on the pump and Expansion vessel on the calorifier. I was looking at a Jabsco PAR MAX PLUS 4 like this one (but not necessarily from MC :mellow:)

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/category/1656/product/wp-014.aspx

Thoughts? Recommendations? Reliability?

The PAR MAX PLUS 4 water pressure pump replaces the Par Max 4. This is a completely new pump compared with the old model (31620). The PLUS 4 boasts a more powerful motor and new more robust head. Self priming water pressure pump to supply 4 or more outlets. Multi diaphragm design self primes to 3m vertical lift and be run dry without damage.

Our parmax 2.9 packed in .....not a clue how old ....so replaced it for £70 (same model) and bought a spare at the same time. Easy to service but likely better value than £400/22 years if you include cost of capital.;)

Have a look at Lowara or Calpeda. Both Italian and available in the UK and may have similar pumps. An impellor pump is much better than any of the plunger pumps as it gives a steady flow, but when made for drinking water are expensive. Lowara are commonly used for drinking water as they are stainless steel. Not sure if they do low voltage models . The running on could just be the porting to the pressure switch blocked ( ? Chalk or dirt deposits) , if the slowing down occurs as the pressure rises above normal, because it runs on, then it is because the motor is overloaded. A good industrial motor repair shop should be able to help with brushes, although getting the correct grade for a DC motor can be hard.

If by impeller you mean a centrifugal pump then I had problems with Godwin water pumps of this type blocking their impeller slots with scale etc. The downside of centrifugal water pumps is that they do not self prime so if you drain down for the winter or run out of water you may find yourself sucking heartily on an open tap.

If you mean a rubber winged impeller then a suitable Jabsco 12V pump with a flap vale (or two) on the inlet and a remote pressure switch may do. That is what the Jabsco Water Puppy system was.

This is the link to the data sheet of the newer pump ( your old one may have been slightly different), it may help if you are looking for a pump with similar ratings. They are listed as self priming although would need to be damp to achieve this.

http://www.depcopump.com/datasheets/gianneschi/ACB61G_Data_Sheet.pdf

It is not easy to equate the flow/pressure if you are changing to a plunger type pump. If the pump still runs, measure the flow ( litres per minute) at a shower head, then use this to estimate the running pressure for this flow from the data sheet. I have chosen the shower as generally this will have the lowest flow rate therefore the highest system pressure in a dynamic situation. Plunger pumps have a much flatter pressure/flow curve, so you do not want to go to too high a flow rate or the pump will cycle on/off instead of giving a smooth flow. If you have an instant water heater this can cause a few problems.

You may have to add an accumulator for a new pump, also if you have a calofier check the relief valve setting as the old pump is only rated at a little over 2 bar.

Stuart Turner (UK) used to make a similar range of pumps.

Do you have a separate pressure switch, as I cannot see anything on this pump. If so does it have a make/model on it?

Edited by adrianh

Thanks so much for the info everyone.

Adrian, you mention that my old pump is 2 Bar. I couldn't determine that from the nameplate. I have an accumulator. On further examination (the pump is crammed into the front step and not easy to see properly as it is obscured by its accumulator) the switch is separate and not part of the pump which makes sense as the new ones on the makers website are the same. Unfortunately, the switch is up against a bulkhead so I've yet to figure the make and type. I'll have to disassemble the step to get a proper look at it. Perhaps I'll take a photo, someone will recognise it.

The 2 Bar came from the data sheet for the one you said looked the same, ask the manufacturer if they have the data sheet for your old pump to confirm this. It is not unusual for this type of pump to be relatively low pressure, with the pressure dropping as the gap increases as the parts wear. I might be able to help with the pressure switch identification/replacement as I work in that field some times . PM me when you post a picture.