Are the Canals going to Last?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

What do you think?

Sub Contracter's charging CRT big bucks.

Do I need to park my Boat in a farmer's field and plant Dafodils.?

Being serious I do worry it's all going a bit down hill. :-genuinely.

One thing I learnt (it stuck with me) from a very expensive Management Course was :

"Don't worry about anything you cannot change or influence"

"Co-Operate with the inevitable - there are some things you cannot control. Accept them and plan how to deal with them so you can move on".

The canals as we know them are probably not going to exist much longer - There is no longer an effective Boating IWA, there is no 'cheer-leader' for the canals, people are now too insular in their lives, & there are too many divisive issues.

It is going to happen so why worry about it, get on and worry about things that you can have some effect on.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One thing I learnt (it stuck with me) from a very expensive Management Course was :

"Co-Operate with the inevitable - there are some things you cannot control. Accept them and plan how to deal with them so you can move on".

The canals as we know them are probably not going to exist much longer - It is going to happen so why worry about it, get on and worry about things that you can have some effect on.

I guess your right Alan but am pretty new to boating and only 2 years into it.

A lot of money invested and all that,  like a lot of people on the cut.

When I went on my first boating holiday in my teens (1967) I fell in love with every aspect of it.

If I'd known how it was going to be in fifty years time would I have stayed around to watch it? Probably not.

Am I glad I did? Yes, but I am disappointed the way it went.

9 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

When I went on my first boating holiday in my teens (1967) I fell in love with every aspect of it.

If I'd known how it was going to be in fifty years time would I have stayed around to watch it? Probably not.

Am I glad I did? Yes, but I am disappointed the way it went.

It's gone pear shaped even in the short time I've been floating. :-(

Not the same now.

39 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

What do you think?

Excellent advice from Alan in post 2. Standard business skool stuff sadlyt not taught in ourt state skools.

But to answer your question, nothing ever stays the same but no you don't need to beach your boat in a field now. You need to stay out and about enjoying the canals while you can. I reckon there is a good ten years to go before we start seeing significant losses in the cruising infrastructure, before the C&RT begin to get overwhelmed by maintenance and locks here and there begin to break and stay broken. Possibly 20 years even. 

In the meantime use and enjoy them, for one day they will all be linear duck ponds. Just not yet.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Excellent advice from Alan in post 2. Standard business skool stuff sadlyt not taught in ourt state skools.

But to answer your question, nothing ever stays the same but no you don't need to beach your boat in a field now. You need to stay out and about enjoying the canals while you can. I reckon there is a good ten years to go before we start seeing significant losses in the cruising infrastructure, before the C&RT begin to get overwhelmed by maintenance and locks here and there begin to break and stay broken. Possibly 20 years even. 

In the meantime use and enjoy them, for one day they will all be linear duck ponds. Just not yet.

I hope so Mike I really do.

I still enjoy mucking about randomly at will.

Maybe were the lucky ones that get to have seen it.

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The canals as we know them are probably not going to exist much longer - There is no longer an effective Boating IWA, there is no 'cheer-leader' for the canals, people are now too insular in their lives, & there are too many divisive issues.

It is going to happen so why worry about it, get on and worry about things that you can have some effect on.

You are a stakeholder: ergo you can influence, and even change. 

1 hour ago, brassedoff said:

What do you think?

Yep, farmers field.

Roses not daffs though.

:)

Well that's a nice depressing post to wake up to...........sadly I agree particularly with post #4 which pretty well sums up our views and experience after 50 years floating about - when we sold our boat last year we had a major debate as to whether to stop but decided there was 10 years max left of the world we love and 5 years left in us to enjoy it so we have bought again - BUT we have left behind "proper" traditional classic deeper drafted boats and bought very much with resale I mind as I believe the only boats that will sell easily in the future are ones that can truly be lived on.

We are the lucky ones we have enjoyed the best years - IMHO the world started changing 5 years+ ago with the arrival of wide beams (apparently 3 have been craned in around Watford heading south this week alone) and floaters NOT their fault but a reflection of much wider economic factors too serious to debate here but the canals are not a housing estate populated by insular people they are by definition transport corridors where boats and water move about and keep the infrastructure "lubricated".

Rant over...........its still a great place to spend time and a much better community than anything else on offer so don't head for that farmers field (or did you mean marina?) just yet keep boating and enjoy it! 

BTW I don't expect everyone to agree with me..........................but it will be interesting to see how this post develops

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 1

It would seem to me that as an ' industry'  the canal culture is growing more popular as escapism from the ratrace, fortunately that brings more funds in to CRT but also more traffic. Costs will always rise and maybe difficult to see how the poor and rich can live together on the cut. But where theres a will theres a way provided we can keep the spirit of respect and friendliness alive and impress on newcomers that tranquility is the culture and speed n noise are the enemy.

• Greenie 1

Maybe it will have to revert back as it was in the 50's 60's & 70's & c&rt will have to allow volunteer organisations to carry out maintenance/repairs etc. but has the thinking changed are the canal enthusiasts still about & willing to put in the time/effort again only to see C&rt squander away on useless schemes a lot of folk +myself did our bit to ensure a good mileage of "cut" from becoming an over grown ditch or as a lot of town dwellers of that time wanted them filled in It was achieved then is the will there to possibly repeat the exerciser

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

You are a stakeholder: ergo you can influence, and even change.

How much have you personally tried to influence / change how CRT (and BW before them) have operated over the last few years?

I have been trying to, both just as a licence holder, but also as part of a CRT advisory group - trying quite hard in fact, and for some years.

Yes, you may influence a bit, but you'll be lucky to do much more than try to halt a few bad ideas, in my experience.  Producing real change to an organisation with so much "history" is a nightmare.  So much resource is wasted on things of little matter, while big problems go largely unaddressed.

I would be interested to those who really believe they have been able to make major impacts, and what those major impacts actually were.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Some of you are being very pessimistic of late. Perhaps you should go out boating a bit more and enjoy yourselves.

I've just spent a week looking at how the network is deteriorating,  and how the CRT/ contractor repair works are failing almost before they are finished. Thank you for your advice.

I agree with Rachel. After all, many of our canals have been there for over 200 years, sometimes weathering hard times, and they are still open. There is no reason for that situation to change.

Slogan of the day: Trite is Right.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I nominate this for “trite comment of the week” award. 

But she is in fact right. We bought our first liveaboard at Ansty in 1989 and loved it immediately but were concerned as to how shallow the canal was and there were several cars and three piece suites every few yards. Even worse was Manchester and the maccy was shallow etc etc. 28 years later and the system is in far better shape than it was then, just one small for instance was in 90 the locks and paddles on the wigan flight were virtualy unuseable we had a hell of a job doing it, much better now. Enjoy you boating if its been two years then keep at it. We are CART have budget and management problems same as many others but life and boating will continue.

• Greenie 3