Winter Ain't Cheap!

brassedoff

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We started a 20kg bag of Supertherm on Monday lunchtime. About two shovels full left. Saloon too warm at times, aft end can get chilly,not cold, when not cooking. And we have a cheaply eco fan!!! Put central heating on occasionally to boost warmth. We are hardy boaters. Don't like cumbersome jumpers on indoors. Quite often have to have window hoppers open in the saloon.

We had a similar problem at the other end from the stove. I picked up a large battery powered fan from Asda some years ago the happened to be 12Vdc. This cured our heat distribution problems, without killing any batteries. We still have to open windows sometimes though!

Well it looks like we are all going to have to burn a bit more coal in the next few days with Tuesday the cold one. Weather models are predicting cold easterlies controlling the weather for a few days next week and likely snow on Tuesday with daytime temps barely above 0°C, but by the end of next week who knows. Half the models are saying it will continue sub zero and the other half are saying we will be back to Atlantic fronts sweeping in every 48hrs. Wrap up for Monday and Tuesday!

Below is the ECM model data for next Tuesday.

ECM0-72.GIF

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Robbo said:

If it uses 1litre an hour it will be around 10kw device.   If your boat needs a constant 10kw to keep it warm then you either have a very big boat or no insulation.  Whoever told you was wrong.

It's a D5Wsc Robbo  so am only guessing it's 5kw then.

10 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Does that mean I should switch my EcoFan to Turbo mode?

Absolutely, but as someone suggested in the other thread, it we all point our fans to the east,  we could blow the UK a hundred miles out into the Atlantic so would miss the worst of the cold weather. Might be a bit wet though!:)

8 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

It's a D5Wsc Robbo  so am only guessing it's 5kw then.

So according to the manual....

Fuel consumption (l/h)

5000watt 0.69l/h

1500watt 0.2l/h

So if left on it will use around 4.8 litres per day minimum, on average it will be what ever it needs to keep your boat at your choosen temperature (1.5kw should be enough for most boats at a reasonable temperature for most of the time)   

Of course these heaters are not designed for 24hr use, but they are not thirsty either and are quite efficient.

Edited by Robbo
  • Happy 1

5 minutes ago, Robbo said:

So according to the manual....

Fuel consumption (l/h)

5000watt 0.69l/h

1500watt 0.2l/h

So if left on it will use around 4.8 litres per day minimum, on average it will be what ever it needs to keep your boat at your choosen temperature (1.5kw should be enough for most boats at a reasonable temperature for most of the time)   

Of course these heaters are not designed for 24hr use, but they are not thirsty either and are quite efficient.

Thanks, that's not too expensive then,  I will put it on a lot more now I know that.

Cheers for the information. 

Just noticed I got my B's and D's mixed up, those figures were for a B 5 W SC ..

The D 5 W SC  doesn't go as low as the low temp is 2400watt with 0.27l/h.   The high temp is more efficient tho; 5000watt with 0.62l/h.    For the way boaters normally use these devices it's probably better.

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

Just noticed I got my B's and D's mixed up, those figures were for a B 5 W SC ..

The D 5 W SC  doesn't go as low as the low temp is 2400watt with 0.27l/h.   The high temp is more efficient tho; 5000watt with 0.62l/h.    For the way boaters normally use these devices it's probably better.

Cheers, I was only using it for 1 hour 30 to take the chill off or warm the water for the shower, but yet they do sound a bit full on for such a small unit.

I use my stove 80% more, but from now on I will put it on for 3 hours at a time at 1.83lh.

It ain't their to look at after all.

On 02/02/2018 at 19:06, brassedoff said:

Cheers, I was only using it for 1 hour 30 to take the chill off or warm the water for the shower, but yet they do sound a bit full on for such a small unit.

I use my stove 80% more, but from now on I will put it on for 3 hours at a time at 1.83lh.

It ain't their to look at after all.

KEEP an eye on your battery charge though... I don't care WHAT the manual says,  when we have the webasto on for a few hours, it REALLY hammers the batteries!

Let's clear up the confusion of the famous Defoes:

Daniel Defoe, long dead author of several classics of English literature

Jermain Defoe, English footballer. Played for England often, and various clubs notably Spurs. Was rumoured during the summer to be about to move from Sunderland to West Brom but actually transferred to Bournemouth. There are several football clubs in Shanghai but he hasn't played for them.

William Dafoe, American actor, was in Platoon but doesn't quite count because his surname is defo not spelt Defoe.

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

Jermain Defoe, English footballer. Played for England often, and various clubs notably Spurs. Was rumoured during the summer to be about to move from Sunderland to West Brom but actually transferred to Bournemouth. There are several football clubs in Shanghai but he hasn't played for them.

William Dafoe, American actor, was in Platoon but doesn't quite count because his surname is defo not spelt Defoe.

So who played for West Brom then?

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

Footballer Defoe was chatting up some bird in a club, making suggestions that they should go to his home have a nightcap and 'get it on'. She said he was a little forward!!!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Quaysider said:

KEEP an eye on your battery charge though... I don't care WHAT the manual says,  when we have the webasto on for a few hours, it REALLY hammers the batteries!

It shouldn't do!

Just checked and our Webasto uses 29w on start up and 14w when running. 

Shouldn't worry the battery bank at all. We only have 2 domestic batteries and have no problems running the heating when away from shore power. 

Edited by Naughty Cal

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

So who played for West Brom then?

Many players have appeared for West Brom during its long history, but none that I can find called Defoe.

Jermain Defoe (the only footballer of any significance called Defoe) did come close to signing for West Brom this summer, but ended up with Bournemouth. He came on as a 64th minute sub for them away against West Brom on 12th August:

https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2017/08/12/england/premier-league/west-bromwich-albion-football-club/afc-bournemouth/2462803/

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It shouldn't do!

Just checked and our Webasto uses 29w on start up and 14w when running. 

Shouldn't worry the battery bank at all. We only have 2 domestic batteries and have no problems running the heating when away from shore power. 

I think you have a proper marine Air Top 2000 ST Rachel, the one I have.  Doesn't use any fuel (1/8th litre/hour) and sips delicately from the batteries.

The non-marine version chomps more electricity as the fan never shuts down when in use.

That 14-29W figure is averaged for constant running though - if you have the heater set too low so it keeps cycling it will use a lot more juice.  I seem to remember NMEA saying they pull around 10 Amps for a bit on startup until they get up to temperature, so if it's running cool it keeps restarting.

It's also really bad for the heater itself - they like to be worked quite hard or they soot up internally.

The "wet" webasto versions use quite a bit more fuel and electricity than the "dry" ones, but they are rated for higher output.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Wrang Wurds!

On 31/01/2018 at 06:28, brassedoff said:

This month 'January'.

£136 in Coal

£50 in Diesel

Bring on the summertime as the above is eating into my budget uber style.

I've spent similar: 2 ish bags of Excel/Supertherm a week this time of year with the stove at full pelt heating a 65ft boat, with the coal at about £12.50 a bag I think it is, from the fuel boat. Plus some kindling and fire lighters. And about £40-£50 diesel too. 

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Ever so slightly off topic, but I'd love to buy some diesel on the K&A. We left Devizes a few days ago. The Boatyard boat can't get east as the locks are closed at Seend. Ozzie the eastern boat can't and doesn't get this far west. Honey Street is always closed and doesn't respond to calls,texts or emails. We came through there today, absolutely no one around. If they are open you have to make an appointment!!! not sure how you're supposed to do that.

We are not desperate,yet! But time will tell. Son coming to visit, looks like a trip to a garage with a can.