Winter Ain't Cheap!

brassedoff

Featured Posts

What about your insulation, both personal [internal and external] and nautical? 

Too much alcohol has a reverse effect, but you could try hot cider and mulled wine if you enjoy a dram [hot toddy].

I find that thermal undies make a big difference, and tend to snuggle up with a fleecy blanket and a warm cat if I am settling down to read for a few hours.

Best thing I ever had was an electric overblanket, 240v of course.

PS if it's depressng you, dont count the costs. It wil be summer soon.

Edited by LadyG
  • Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

£136 of coal in one month!!  That does seem a lot.  I thought I got through a lot, I've spent £220 since September and a neighbour went through last winter on just 15 bags.

Is that the neighbour who spends his days visiting all his friends, has most nights in the pub and wears Sherpa hats with matchng woollen mittens?

or maybe he forages for wood all summer?

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Is that the neighbour who spends his days visiting all his friends, has most nights in the pub and wears Sherpa hats with matchng woollen mittens?

You tend to see him in the local library a lot, too.

3 minutes ago, Rickent said:

That does sound a lot, we use one bag of supertherm a week plus two bags of wooden blocks at a cost of £16 a week and my fire is on 24/7 and the boat is always toasty.

To be fair, she had bought that amount of coal - she does not say that she has used it all yet. Prudent people will always keep some in reserve.

So, you'll recognise Brassy's boat: it'll be the one that's low in the water from the weight of bags of Taybrite on the roof.

Since Christmas we have bought 10 20kg bags. Had a couple on the roof and have still got five left. So that's about seven bags since Christmas. Fire on constantly. About sixty quidders. Minimal amount of diesel, but we must be getting a bit low now.

Not sure how to reply on on this new system but yes it is a lot of coal this year, ladyG 'hot cider that would put my gas bill up. Lol

Maybe another critter under the Duvae might bring the cost down.

Dr Bob, my dad stuck his finger in the Eco Fan and bent the pin shaft while saying 'where's the blades' , they go invisible while spinning.  

Edited by brassedoff

3 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

my dad stuck his finger in the Eco Fan and bent the pin shaft while saying 'where's the blades' , they go invisible while spinning.  

I suppose he now says "Where's the fingers?"

What price is your coal? I pay £6.75 for 25 kilos of anthracite  but if I wanted i could pay £11.00 for the same stuff from a rip off coal seller!

I use 2 bags a week in the Rayburn Royal which is used for cooking and hot water/central heating and has a big fire box

3 hours ago, brassedoff said:

This month 'January'.

£136 in Coal

£50 in Diesel

Bring on the summertime as the above is eating into my budget uber style.

I don't keep count but use about 4 quid a day in fuel so not much different to you then. My boat is always warm ( very ) all day and I let fire burn slowly all night.You may be like me and actualy have a properly warm boat. I go on others and they are in my opinion often cold and the fire isn't glowing bright red through the glass. My boat is well insulated and fitted so this helps.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't keep count but use about 4 quid a day in fuel so not much different to you then. My boat is always warm ( very ) all day and I let fire burn slowly all night.You may be like me and actualy have a properly warm boat. I go on others and they are in my opinion often cold and the fire isn't glowing bright red through the glass. My boat is well insulated and fitted so this helps.

Thank God another Warmy.

£4.25 a day in Coal. Here.

5 minutes ago, brassedoff said:

Thank God another Warmy.

£4.25 a day in Coal. Here.

A good way to gauge it is if I ever need more than just a T shirt on I know I need more ( lots more ) fuel on the fire. I don't sit around with jumpers on they are for dog walking outside :cheers:

• Happy 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

A good way to gauge it is if I ever need more than just a T shirt on I know I need more ( lots more ) fuel on the fire. I don't sit around with jumpers on they are for dog walking outside :cheers:

I'm sure that your dog looks really cute in his woolly jumper.

I've been using around 8 litres of diesel per day on average.  Diesel drip-fed heating running 24/7 set at low (around 14C) mostly and medium (21C) evenings.  3.5x11m area and I have poor insulation at the moment due to refitting.    Also around 10-15hours of diesel generator per week.

Edited by Robbo

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I've been using around 8 litres of diesel per day on average.  Diesel drip-fed heating running 24/7 set at low (around 14C) mostly and medium (21C) evenings.  3.5x11m area and I have poor insulation at the moment due to refitting.    Also around 10-15hours of diesel generator per week.

That's good.

Searching Google for a body warmer.:-(

Over the years I've discovered most people are not honest about their fuel usage or spend the winter wrapped in layers of thermals while shivering.

We use 65 bags every winter but are only ever dressed in T-shirts, we only have a 4 tog duvet and we enjoy the winter in a toasty boat 

I could forage for wood, Lord knows we have plenty of fallen trees around here but I choose to stay in the warm .

I remember having this conversation with a near neighbour who claimed he only used 30 bags but neglected to mention all the sacks of logs he bought and transported past my boat in a dinghy  

Phil 

• Happy 1