Search facility

PD1964

Featured Posts

It is, or should be better than the default one though perhaps not from a visual perspective. I implemented it recently after having received poor feedback regarding the existing/default Invision search functionality. Google will only be used when searching "all" content, as alluded to above. If you be more specific as to what you want to search for (e.g. topics), it will revert back to the default search. 

I have since learned that the next version of Invision is intended to improve the search functionality among other things. I plan to implement this shortly after release hopefully in the coming months. While it will bring some notable changes, it will not be a major software overhaul like we saw last year. More to come on that later.

32 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It appears to be completely broken. 

When you click in the search box it'll say google just to the left, click/tap on the word google and it will give you a drop down menu, depending where you are on the site the drop down menu will give you the option of Topics or This Forum, click on either of these then click in the search box and carry on as normal. Hopefully.

Unless you use an iPad and then the whole thing merges and there's not a %$&@*$ thing you can do - *calm*

But I'm no expert.

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ve done all that but it’s broken. It used to work up until a few days ago but finds diddly squat useful for me now. 

It will still find stuff for me, but whatever has been done to it in the last few days is intensely annoying.

Now before I see any actual results for stuff from the forum, I'm seeing instead attempts to match my search criteria at things like Amazom.com.

What on earth is that all about?

Could it please be put back as it was!

EDITED to show an exanple.

If I search for "Cambourne" I see this.....

image.png.09d020ba1652771c549d5a11dd2a704e.png

Edited by alan_fincher

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I’ve done all that but it’s broken. It used to work up until a few days ago but finds diddly squat useful for me now. 

Does it tell you there has been an error an to contact the site admin - or something like that. I get that too but intermittently. Sorry can't help with that one.

Tum Tee Tum.... Perhaps someone in charge site settings could put it back they way it was. Tum Tee Tum... Cos actually the search result are not better this new way, but I wonder if pennies are changing hands using this new way, maybe affiliated links perhaps. IDK. 

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Using my (somewhat faulty) memory - didn't Rich M post a few days ago that there was going to be a software update but that it shouldn't be as 'major' as the last one was ?

Yes but I think he also said something about ‘over the next few months’ so I shan’t hold my breath. 

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought parts may have been implemented in the last few days, resulting in the 'loss' of the search function

I think Rich said he’d tweaked it to ‘make it better’ which, arguably (or not) it has singularly failed to do. Then in due course the next software release will change it again. I suspect the recent tweak has resulted in your pop up Google results  

For better or worse. 

On 07/02/2018 at 19:53, RichM said:

Thanks all for your feedback. Interested to hear both positive and negative constructive feedback from everyone and we will review shortly.

Rich

Here’s an example, Rich. 

I chose advanced search, search by author. I chose ‘Big COL’ as the author and ‘skylight’ as the search term. Two Google hits and not one from Canalworld. I know that there was a long thread which included the word ‘skylight’ both in the posts and in the title, authored by Col, in July last year. There were also several other posts from Col using the same word but not a single hit from the search tool. 

• Greenie 1