Advice about a summer stay

Slipper_Chris

Featured Posts

Hello all,

Relative newbie here so apologies for any silly questions.

My partner and I want to spend 3 months this summer on our boat and be based near Godalming. Preferably not moving around too much but happy to spend a few nights in a marina and a few nights on the cut. 

Can anyone give advice on how to do this? Are there any suitable moorings/marinas where you can live aboard for a few days and then cruise for a few days?

Also, how long can you stay on the River and Wey Canal? I know if you buy a visitor license you can only stay 21 days but we'd like to stay longer. For that would we need to get an annual licence? Or do you need to have a leisure mooring for this to apply?

Many Thanks,

Chris :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid that the River Wey (i.e. National Trust) will not be able to accommdate your planned visit.

The maximum stay on a visitor licence is indeed 3 weeks. You also need to be aware that the maximum stay in any one casual mooring location is one night. So being based near Godalming for 3 months and "not moving around too much" will not be permitted. I couldn't do that either, and i have an annual licence.

It isn't possible to exist on the Wey "under the radar", as (a) all boats entering and leaving Thames Lock are recorded in a register and (b) there are lengthsmen (and women) who cover the entire navigation and know their respective lengths and the boats thereon.

The only way to obtain an annual licence is to have an annual mooring agreement for Pyrford Marina, Farncombe, Pelican Wharf or any of the authorised online (quite a few) or end-of-garden (very few) moorings.

I suppose you could in theory hang around Godalming for 3 months, by committing to and paying for an annual mooring (if one is available) and buying an annual licence. But one final spanner in the works - such moorings are non-residential.

Sorry that it's all apparently negative. It isn't really. The Wey is one of the nicest waterways in the country and well worth a visit. The NT welcomes visitors, but only on a short-term and "must keep moving" basis.

1 hour ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Sorry that it's all apparently negative.

It might not be what the OP wanted to hear but I've found it really helpful, Its given me some interesting things to google. I've obviously been getting my wires crossed where the Wey And the Basingstoke are concerned and your post helped my to uncross them, so thanks for that. 

One of my reasons for wanting to get a Narrowboat is that my family live in your neck of the woods - In my family I am officially the last Scot - and the Wey is the closest I could get a Narrowboat to them.

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

I suppose you could in theory hang around Godalming for 3 months, by committing to and paying for an annual mooring (if one is available) and buying an annual licence.

Sorry, I need to clarify this. "... an annual mooring at Farncombe Boat House ..."