MIkeyP

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The thing about scouse is that I always remember it having a lot of potatoes and not a lot of anything else. It wasnt runny (at least me Mum's wasn't) like stews. We always use to have shin beef in it....and dont forget to eat it as scouse sandwiches.

will try making it like that, 

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, David Mack said:

I take it he didn't offer any useful recipes then!

He, she or it posted a link to a restaurant in Singapore, from what I could gather.  When I looked at the link, it was quickly obscured by other things appearing on the screen - from memory, an advert for Google Chrome. Most odd.

25 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

The butcher round the corner from us makes their own pâtés, sausages, black puddings (including one with chestnuts in), and as they have a smoke house, lovely smoky bacon.

Taisez-vous, j'ai faim!

One of many reasons to visit France: the butchers and charcutiers tend to be proper artisans, rather than buying in pre-packaged meat products as is so often the case in England.

30 minutes ago, IanD said:

I've hated the stuff ever since greasy spam fritters at skool... 😞

They were awesome! You could either eat them combined or pry off the batter with your blunt school cutlery and eat as seperate foods, delicious :icecream:

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

They were awesome! You could either eat them combined or pry off the batter with your blunt school cutlery and eat as seperate foods, delicious :icecream:

If you could get the batter off that easily the cook wasn't doing their job properly, they're supposed to be indestructible...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

If you could get the batter off that easily the cook wasn't doing their job properly, they're supposed to be indestructible...

You were obviously a weak and sickly child, i bet you couldn't crack the old chocolate concrete either could you? :D 

I went to a small village school with about 40kids total, the kitchen staff were all lovely local ladies who knew their craft, nothing was inedible ;) 

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

They made sure that your school cutlery was blunt? Rough place, 'uddersfield.

18 minutes ago, Athy said:

Taisez-vous, j'ai faim!

One of many reasons to visit France: the butchers and charcutiers tend to be proper artisans, rather than buying in pre-packaged meat products as is so often the case in England.

AND the boulangeries! 

On our holidays in northern France we used to buy from the local boulangerie a truly vast crusty white "country loaf" first thing in the morning and eat the whole thing for breakfast. They had a massively open and airy 'crumb' inside and a slice an inch thick was not enough, two or three slices each, toasted with butter was necessary. The whole loaf was usually about 2ft 6in long and a foot wide but weighed only about 2lb. 

Do you recognise this description? I ask as I can find no reference at all to these wonderful loaves on the internet, and I want to make them myself! 

17 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

You were obviously a weak and sickly child, i bet you couldn't crack the old chocolate concrete either could you? :D 

I went to a small village school with about 40kids total, the kitchen staff were all lovely local ladies who knew their craft, nothing was inedible ;) 

Hmm, is "cracking the chocolate concrete" a euphemism?

I was of course exaggerating -- the food was actually pretty good (except for spam fritters, obvs...) at my school, but I have to say that 'cos my aunt was the head cook 😉

Edited by IanD

1 minute ago, MtB said:

They fed you cooked heads?!?!?!

This was in Pontefract... 😉

(and we did of course get babies' heads occasionally as a treat...)

Edited by IanD