MIkeyP

Featured Posts

Yes. Tesco instant meals are cheaper than M +S meals 

Almost everywhere is cheaper than them though 

Hope you find something as you  need to keep your strength up to move a boat which got beached in a field many years ago, apparently as you didn't know the field owner was dead 

Haggis 

Easy recepie:

Get one tuna, belt it hard with a hammer to melt it, and lo and behold a meal called Latvian Tuna Melt. Enjoy it as a picnic in a field, leaning on a stone wall looking up at Boeing 747s flying over your head and dreaming of damaged boats sunk in the nearby canal.

For a fancy Michelin 3 star appearance to the dish, take letters r, c, p, i, and 3 e's. Remove one surplus e, stir the remainder and arrange neatly around the edge of the tuna in the pattern r.e.c.i.p.e

:P

• Greenie 1

See thats where I got my tags I was just describing my surroundings as I make my favourite meal! I thought that was a given!

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Yes. Tesco instant meals are cheaper than M +S meals 

Almost everywhere is cheaper than them though 

Hope you find something as you  need to keep your strength up to move a boat which got beached in a field many years ago, apparently as you didn't know the field owner was dead 

Haggis 

I am rather fed up of my ping meals, was actually looking for some real recipes 

On 30/01/2018 at 23:29, MIkeyP said:

Thanks ged, that food looks deadly? Got any tuna melt recipes 

Ingredients

·         200g can tuna

, whatever type you've got in the cupboard ½ a bunch of spring onions

finely chopped

·         4 tbsp mayonnaise

·         3 thick slices of granary or wholemeal bread

generous pinch of paprika

Method

1.    Preheat the grill on its highest setting. Drain the tuna, flake it into a bowl and mix with the spring onions and mayonnaise. Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

2.    Toast the bread under the grill until it’s nicely browned on both sides, then spread the tuna mixture on top, right up to the edges of the toast. Scatter over the cheese and put back under the grill until the cheese is bubbling.

3.    Slice in half, sprinkle with paprika and tuck in.

In a medium bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise, onion and celery; mix well.

Top 4 of the slices of bread with 1 slice cheese each. Spread tuna mixture over cheese slices and top with remaining bread slices.

Spread each sandwich with additional mayonnaise; place in skillet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/01/2018 at 15:30, MIkeyP said:

Anyone got easy cooking recepies currently living of M&S ping meals and its a real struggle and expensive

Any cheaper solutions?

This is what Google was made for!

Try this or similar...  https://www.bing.com/search?q=easy+to+cook+recipes+uk&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=easy+to+cook+recipes+uk&sc=0-23&sk=&cvid=33F4B17A2A8B45119E275D32B20C1026

Also, to save money, you could do worse than check out Jack Monroe... https://cookingonabootstrap.com

Plenty of other similar websites are also available.

Step one. Dispose of microwave.

Step Two. Go down to your local market and stock up on fresh meat, vegetables and fruit and a few pots of dried herbs and spices. This will be much cheaper then a weeks worth of plastic ding meals.

Step Three. Invest in a good set of pans and baking trays. This will make cleaning up at the end much easier.

Step Four. Pick some meat and chop it into 1cm cubes. Pick some veg and chop that into 1cm cubes or similar. Chuck it all in a casserole dish with a tin of chopped tomatoes and some herbs and spices. Let it come to the boil then turn down to a low simmer. Stir every now and then.

Step Five. After an hour or so (you can leave this longer just remember to keep stirring it) eat.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Step one. Dispose of microwave.

Step Two. Go down to your local market and stock up on fresh meat, vegetables and fruit and a few pots of dried herbs and spices. This will be much cheaper then a weeks worth of plastic ding meals.

Step Three. Invest in a good set of pans and baking trays. This will make cleaning up at the end much easier.

Step Four. Pick some meat and chop it into 1cm cubes. Pick some veg and chop that into 1cm cubes or similar. Chuck it all in a casserole dish with a tin of chopped tomatoes and some herbs and spices. Let it come to the boil then turn down to a low simmer. Stir every now and then.

Step Five. After an hour or so (you can leave this longer just remember to keep stirring it) eat.

How about gourmet Scouse. Do what Naughty Cal said....but heavy on the potatoes and lighter on the meat ....or no meat if you want blind scouse.

Do a big pan and eat part in step 5. Leave the rest for a day. Eat the following day. Much better 2nd day. Leave out tomatoes and herbs if you want normal scouse.

Best way to eat is to get a loaf of sliced bread. Butter both sides (marge will do if you are skint). Fill two slices with Scouse. Enjoy. Scouse butties....lovely.

If you plan it properly and top up from day to day, it can last you a week.:)

22 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

How about gourmet Scouse. Do what Naughty Cal said....but heavy on the potatoes and lighter on the meat ....or no meat if you want blind scouse.

Do a big pan and eat part in step 5. Leave the rest for a day. Eat the following day. Much better 2nd day. Leave out tomatoes and herbs if you want normal scouse.

Best way to eat is to get a loaf of sliced bread. Butter both sides (marge will do if you are skint). Fill two slices with Scouse. Enjoy. Scouse butties....lovely.

If you plan it properly and top up from day to day, it can last you a week.:)

Real scouse should be the tough gnarly bits of meat that the butcher almost gives away.

If your really skint just a shin bone.

If your really really skint, show the pan a photo of the butchers

To add mum used to use neck of lamb a lot in her scouse, still remember picking out the bits of windpipe and gristle

Plus I second @Dr Bob suggestion of a scouse butty

Edited by tree monkey
Memories come flooding back

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If your cassero!e dish can take direct heat (we were lucky as a cast iron one was left on the boat by the seller - because I told him to leave it) you can bring the contents to the boil on the hob and then transfer it to the top of the multi-fuel stove to slow cook for the remainder of the day.

I like to bung in some pulses as well for extra cheap protein and other goodness. Dried ones are cheaper if you have time to cook them properly (borlotti beans are good, no need to soak overnight), tinned will do otherwise. Aldi tinned kidney beans are well cheap.

27 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

If your cassero!e dish can take direct heat (we were lucky as a cast iron one was left on the boat by the seller - because I told him to leave it) you can bring the contents to the boil on the hob and then transfer it to the top of the multi-fuel stove to slow cook for the remainder of the day.

I like to bung in some pulses as well for extra cheap protein and other goodness. Dried ones are cheaper if you have time to cook them properly (borlotti beans are good, no need to soak overnight), tinned will do otherwise. Aldi tinned kidney beans are well cheap.

Yep, as above. Lovely.

I've tried Scouse and it was what I'd call a stew. Is there something about Scouse which should set it apart from 'just a stew'?

Just now, Goliath said:

Yep, as above. Lovely.

I've tried Scouse and it was what I'd call a stew. Is there something about Scouse which should set it apart from 'just a stew'?

Nope, at least in my opinion,  its just cheap food, every area has similar,  Lancashire hot pot, irish stew, pasties. 

Its only recently people can afford to get all picky about the proper way to cook them, no one cared as long as it was cheap and filling

That's what I thought. 

I did look up a recipe for Lancashire hot pot some time ago and I'm sure what set that apart from other stews is that you have layers of sliced potato seperating the stew. Like you'd layer a lasagne I suppose. It might have been a newly made up recipe though rather than a traditional. Dunno. 

Edited by Goliath
A

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

That's what I thought. 

I did look up a recipe for Lancashire hot pot some time ago and I'm sure what set that apart from other stews is that you have layers of sliced potato seperating the stew. Like you'd layer a lasagne I suppose. It might have been a newly made up recipe though rather a traditional. Dunno. 

Different methods to cook, still peasant food, its only when arty farty cooks start pontificating about proper recipes,  every house used to cook scouse based on what they had available,  no meat blind scouse, lamb neck lamb scouse, beef shin beef scouse etc.

:)

Just now, Goliath said:

And another thing..

is there such thing as a cheap cut of meat anymore? I had some mutton the other month and it cost the same as lamb. Thought I was gonna get a bargain. 

Brisket from a proper butcher,  dead cheap from the local place.

Mutton has become a posh food I think due to attempts to market it

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And another thing..

is there such thing as a cheap cut of meat anymore? I had some mutton the other month and it cost the same as lamb. Thought I was gonna get a bargain. 

The farmer can start getting a return from his lambs at 100+ days for Mutton he has had to have the thing for a couple of years at least.  That helps to keep the price up.

56 minutes ago, Goliath said:

That's what I thought. 

I did look up a recipe for Lancashire hot pot some time ago and I'm sure what set that apart from other stews is that you have layers of sliced potato seperating the stew. Like you'd layer a lasagne I suppose. It might have been a newly made up recipe though rather than a traditional. Dunno. 

The thing about scouse is that I always remember it having a lot of potatoes and not a lot of anything else. It wasnt runny (at least me Mum's wasn't) like stews. We always use to have shin beef in it....and dont forget to eat it as scouse sandwiches.

56 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And another thing..

Yes if you go to a proper butchers.