whilst im replacing an oven can i ......

chubby

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I wonder who's supplying Instantaneous gas hot water heaters, Rinnai perhaps, to all the thousands of fast food vans, ice cream vans, mobile kitchens ect. They all have to have them or some way of heating water, by law, to wash their hands. Camping stoves and kettles maybe.

'Burco-boilers' powered by Generators.

43 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I wonder who's supplying Instantaneous gas hot water heaters, Rinnai perhaps, to all the thousands of fast food vans, ice cream vans, mobile kitchens ect. They all have to have them or some way of heating water, by law, to wash their hands. Camping stoves and kettles maybe.

I think many of that type of application only require a single point of distribution straight into a sink or basin.  That is the heater outlet is an open pipe, not connected to more extensive plumbing.

Most heaters used on boats like the Morco are "multipoint".

We have seen previously that e-Bay can supply NON-multipoint heaters, but the multipoint ones are garder to find.

On the face of it the Bosch model being discussed in another thread seemed (to me at least!) to be no less suitable for baot use than a Morco.

It had a very distinct advantage of no permanent pilot light needlessly wasting your gas.

As an aside the Morcos were widely used in holiday "mobile" homes - we have had them in units on camp sites in France, (identical to those we had on the boats).  If the units are no longer available, that is another application that will be looking for an alternative manufacturer.

31 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

It had a very distinct advantage of no permanent pilot light needlessly wasting your gas.

It wastes water instead, the hot tap needing to be ON for four seconds before the pilot ignites, then a second or two the later the main burner will light, then the unit will begin to heat up....

38 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It wastes water instead, the hot tap needing to be ON for four seconds before the pilot ignites, then a second or two the later the main burner will light, then the unit will begin to heat up....

... and also the pilot light helps to stop the heat exchanger from freezing from a cold draft up/down the flue. That said, I think I'd rather save the gas and hang the waste of water. Water is free!

Edited by nicknorman

To answer a couple of points .

Blackrose : If i fit a cooker which has hob & oven in one unit with one gas feed then the other feed is in the perfect position for where the morco would be sited . Its the location of the redundant isolator that makes me think of installing a morco .

Ditchcrawler . My current set up for hot water is by eberspacher . The morco would be useful i feel as a way of avoiding battery usage and to be honest the fact that i will have a " spare " gas connection within 2ft of the morcos ideal ( only ) location . Because the worktops will be getting replaced i just see it as the best opportunity to install one . Another method of making hot water seems worthwhile ? 

Ultimately , i do have an eber that is behaving well so the morco is not necessarily "essential " but if fitting one is feasable whilst the kitchen refit is going on then i thought it worth attempting to find out if it ll be a straightforward job or problematic 

cheers again 

ETA :,the subject of the bosch alternative was brought up by a chap at the boatyard . He suspected that the bosch has soldered pipework connections internally which he believes make it a possible BSS fail . At least , i think thats what was said 

Edited by chubby

20 minutes ago, chubby said:

Ditchcrawler . My current set up for hot water is by eberspacher . The morco would be useful i feel as a way of avoiding battery usage and to be honest the fact that i will have a " spare " gas connection within 2ft of the morcos ideal ( only ) location . Because the worktops will be getting replaced i just see it as the best opportunity to install one . Another method of making hot water seems worthwhile ? 

Ultimately , i do have an eber that is behaving well so the morco is not necessarily "essential " but if fitting one is feasable whilst the kitchen refit is going on then i thought it worth attempting to find out if it ll be a straightforward job or problematic 

Does the Ebber flow through the second coil of your colorifier? You could end up having to do several plumbing mods to make it all work

it does flow thru the calorifier . Though im not certain of which alterations id have to make , i am aware that i will have to adjust the pipework to enable use of eber or morco having read thru threads in the past . I guess my  enquiry about being able to use a " spare " gas  outlet is first & if using it is possible then i expect further research about plumbing adjustments 

cheers again

On 30/01/2018 at 19:25, nicknorman said:

... and also the pilot light helps to stop the heat exchanger from freezing from a cold draft up/down the flue. That said, I think I'd rather save the gas and hang the waste of water. Water is free!

This seems pretty unlikely given the pilot flame is extinguished when the hot tap is OFF, and only alight during hot water demand.